Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Except Odin got killed by the Fourth Host in that story, his life force driven from the Destroyer armor into limbo. He didn't leave the axe and instructions to use it if he got killed with Thor or anybody else, so what would have been the point of keeping it secret from the Celestials rather than using it against them? Remember, he was in direct combat with them, they were well past the point of talking as far as Odin was concerned.

Unless you think he was privy to the secret plan of Frigga and the other mother goddesses to offer the Celestials the Young Gods as party favors, and figured that letting onto having an effective Celestial-killing weapon would prevent that deal from being accepted... but that still makes no sense, because if that were the case, why risk ticking them off equally badly by attacking them in the Destroyer armor with the Odinsword?
    Because it was an ultimately futile gesture that assured that they knew nothing was amiss? The Celestials were probably expecting it, and not doing it would've let them onto something being different.

I mean, I'm just wildly speculating, but ultimately, it's not THAT big a deal to me. xD

Do I get a no prize?!

BANNED

The only lesson to be learned from Uncanny Avengers is that Gorr the God Butcher was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    I've been loving this arc. I feel like there is too much to wrap up in one issue. You have all of Kang's group fighting and then the showdown with Kang without even mentioning what is going to happen with Sentry. I hope that they can give it a satisfying conclusion.

Kang is my favorite villain and I have been waiting for something this awesome with him since Dynasty and Avengers Forever. I hope it doesn't get cut too short.
    yeah Kang is seen here as even more of a master planner than Dr Doom, who was focused on in the last Original Sins

Spectacular Member

My hope is that Sentry finally rids himself of the Death Seed's influence (which makes him an anti-mutant racist for some reason? The hell?).

My hope is not high.

At the least, I just don't want him ripping his face off again. It's getting old.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Yeah, considering that the axe was able to take down Exitar, the Celestial only some of whose energy Kang has absorbed, it should be equally able to take down Kang. Even Celestial-empowered Kang is unlikely to be more powerful than his power source, any more than Korvac was ever more powerful than Galactus.
    The blade is only meant to cut through Celestial armor though, it's not necessarily an anti-Celestial axe, just one that destroys their "shell", which contains their essence.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Oh I know it was done, I'm just saying editorial should have stepped in and said no, she can't absorb from a non-physical being. It was a big point in AA#10, that they had to get Iron Man incapacitated and then wham, whoops she can't absorb Vision or Wondy either. I think it's bad writing. Her power set shouldn't be able to do it.
    Oooor... heroes can grow.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    My hope is that Sentry finally rids himself of the Death Seed's influence (which makes him an anti-mutant racist for some reason? The hell?).

My hope is not high.

At the least, I just don't want him ripping his face off again. It's getting old.
    It only happened twice. xD

And the Death Seed makes Sentry anti-mutant because that's how the Sentry, a non-mutant, is interpreting the message of the death seed. It makes a certain kind of sense.

My own personal hope will be to see the Sentry, who's been shown to resurrect people before, restore himself and the other Horseman and burn it away with a million exploding suns. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Because it was an ultimately futile gesture that assured that they knew nothing was amiss? The Celestials were probably expecting it, and not doing it would've let them onto something being different.

I mean, I'm just wildly speculating, but ultimately, it's not THAT big a deal to me. xD

Do I get a no prize?!
    I don't understand your argument here. First off, are you assuming that Odin knew about Frigga's plan (#1), or that he was truly trying to take care of things himself (#2)?

1) In the first case, if Odin was aware that Frigga et al were going to show up with party favors for the Fourth Host, are you saying that the Celestials would be less likely to accept the Young Gods and go away with them, had Odin not made a big show of trying to fight and kill them, to the point of being killed? I don't see where that makes sense on any level.

2) In the second case, if Odin truly thought he in the Destroyer armor was Earth's last line of defense from the Fourth Host's judgment, if he fights them and dies without leaving instructions for anybody to use Jarnbjorn under those circumstances, then nothing is amiss from the POV of the Celestials. He tries and dies, and even though Thor futilely tries to hammer them for a while (having apparently forgotten all about the axe), none of it does any good - the Celestials get to apply whatever judgment they choose to Earth.

The whole point of the story was that Odin pulled out all the stops, and it wasn't good enough, but a more peaceful approach by Frigga, Gaea, and the other mother goddesses actually worked. Introducing a new weapon that Odin didn't try to use even though it was designed for precisely these foes messes with that, unless we want to retcon it so that Odin didn't truly care about either Midgard's or even his own (and his own people's) survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    The blade is only meant to cut through Celestial armor though, it's not necessarily an anti-Celestial axe, just one that destroys their "shell", which contains their essence.
    No, it clearly does more than that, otherwise the Celestials wouldn't actually be 'killed' - as we've seen their shells breached before, for example by Susan Storm, or even pierced by the giant Destroyer's Odinsword, and they've been able to get the 'bleeding' of their internal energy under control and heal the armor with little trouble. In the latter case, being impaled by the Odinsword was hardly even bothersome to Arishem, who just pulled it out and slagged the thing, casually closing the holes in his armor.

Spectacular Member Gladiator7117's Avatar

I don't understand your argument here. First off, are you assuming that Odin knew about Frigga's plan (#1), or that he was truly trying to take care of things himself (#2)?

1) In the first case, if Odin was aware that Frigga et al were going to show up with party favors for the Fourth Host, are you saying that the Celestials would be less likely to accept the Young Gods and go away with them, had Odin not made a big show of trying to fight and kill them, to the point of being killed? I don't see where that makes sense on any level.

2) In the second case, if Odin truly thought he in the Destroyer armor was Earth's last line of defense from the Fourth Host's judgment, if he fights them and dies without leaving instructions for anybody to use Jarnbjorn under those circumstances, then nothing is amiss from the POV of the Celestials. He tries and dies, and even though Thor futilely tries to hammer them for a while (having apparently forgotten all about the axe), none of it does any good - the Celestials get to apply whatever judgment they choose to Earth.

The whole point of the story was that Odin pulled out all the stops, and it wasn't good enough, but a more peaceful approach by Frigga, Gaea, and the other mother goddesses actually worked. Introducing a new weapon that Odin didn't try to use even though it was designed for precisely these foes messes with that, unless we want to retcon it so that Odin didn't truly care about either Midgard's or even his own (and his own people's) survival.
    You don't understand his "argument" because he's not arguing. He's speculating like he stated. You want an explanation on why Odin didn't use Thor's axe? Well when they wrote the story of Odin fighting the celestials, the axe had not been created in the real world by Remender. There is no answer on why Odin didn't use the axe in comic world, hence the speculation.

Spectacular Member Gladiator7117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Don't mean to annoy, but I'm really not satisfied on how Remender decided to (literally) butcher the Celestials.
    They are supposed to be Gods among Gods. They make Odin and other Skyfathers look like flies.
    Last time they showed up the teamwork of Franklin Richards and freaking Galactus was required to defeat them.

And now its just Rogue and Sentry and some hastilly enchanted Plot Device?
    Still buggers me.
    I was thinking the same. Aren't they damn near all powerful? Couldn't one just blink and the universe is gone? Hmmm.