Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They are? How did I miss that?
    I don't know. You can see them at the end, when the Rebel survivors board the Falcon, and somebody opens a drawer and throws a towel or something on top of them.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't know. You can see them at the end, when the Rebel survivors board the Falcon, and somebody opens a drawer and throws a towel or something on top of them.
    That's probably it LOL...it's at the end. I probably started moving around and started to finish chores or something. I'll have re-watch that scene. It might make me change my mind about what I said.

I just watched the "Bewitched" movie for the first time. Although it came out in 2005, I had not watched it before because it got bad reviews and the general consensus was that it was too convoluted of a fantasy within a fantasy, the plot being that a studio is doing a remake of the television series, "Bewitched". But Isabel, the actress hired to play Samantha in the remake, really is a witch. Then characters from the tv show start showing up for real with no explanation except coincidence. Isabel has an Aunt named Clara who is kind of senile just like Samantha had a senile aunt named Clara in the tv show and Uncle Arthur from the old tv show shows up with no explanation and even outright says he's an imaginary character. I've been trapped in reruns for over 30 years, saying and doing the same things over and over. I need to say and do things that are new.

You'd think these would all be negatives and clearly they were for most people. I'm not even sure it got double digits on Rotten Tomatoes. But I don't care. The director, Nora Ephron (who co-wrote it with her sister and has a handy list of top notch movies) obviously loved the series to the point she does a "No-no" and gives us a story that almost requires people to be at least familiar with the basic premise and the characters of the tv show. At the very least, it's funnier if you have some familiarity with the original version and it pays homage to the original cast over and over, even making sure their names appear on-screen as the new actors watch clips from the original show. We even get the lyrics to the original theme music which were written for the show but never used.

This probably wouldn't work if it was meant to be taken seriously. But it's just so Fourth Wall breaking, Fantasy within a Fantasy bats**t crazy that it works wonderfully as a comedy and yet with a romantic comedy theme that somehow still works, at least in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I hope there is someday soon a remake of "Bewitched" that just directly remakes the story or, better yet, a continuation with Samantha and what she is doing in the 21st century since the character wouldn't have aged even a year since the television show ended.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 09-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

John Carter- I watched this in the theater and I really enjoyed it. I never fully understood why it was torn apart by folks
    Predators- This movie was pretty darn good to me. Aside the first one, it's the best Predator movie to me
    Mortal Kombat- I really enjoyed the movie
    The Resident Evil movies- Definitely a guilty pleasure. Just a fun movie to watch on Friday night when there's nothing else lined up.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-10-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I just watched the "Bewitched" movie for the first time. Although it came out in 2005, I had not watched it before because it got bad reviews and the general consensus was that it was too convoluted of a fantasy within a fantasy, the plot being that a studio is doing a remake of the television series, "Bewitched". But Isabel, the actress hired to play Samantha in the remake, really is a witch. Then characters from the tv show start showing up for real with no explanation except coincidence. Isabel has an Aunt named Clara who is kind of senile just like Samantha had a senile aunt named Clara in the tv show and Uncle Arthur from the old tv show shows up with no explanation and even outright says he's an imaginary character. I've been trapped in reruns for over 30 years, saying and doing the same things over and over. I need to say and do things that are new.

You'd think these would all be negatives and clearly they were for most people. I'm not even sure it got double digits on Rotten Tomatoes. But I don't care. The director, Nora Ephron (who co-wrote it with her sister and has a handy list of top notch movies) obviously loved the series to the point she does a "No-no" and gives us a story that almost requires people to be at least familiar with the basic premise and the characters of the tv show. At the very least, it's funnier if you have some familiarity with the original version and it pays homage to the original cast over and over, even making sure their names appear on-screen as the new actors watch clips from the original show. We even get the lyrics to the original theme music which were written for the show but never used.

This probably wouldn't work if it was meant to be taken seriously. But it's just so Fourth Wall breaking, Fantasy within a Fantasy bats**t crazy that it works wonderfully as a comedy and yet with a romantic comedy theme that somehow still works, at least in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I hope there is someday soon a remake of "Bewitched" that just directly remakes the story or, better yet, a continuation with Samantha and what she is doing in the 21st century since the character wouldn't have aged even a year since the television show ended.
    https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...d66e26a7d1824b

Retired

Regarding JOHN CARTER, I don't know that I've ever seen negative remarks about the movie from people who actually saw it. I think people that saw it love it or at least think it was okay. The problem for the movie was not many went to see it.

I have a special place in my heart for GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD STREET. Yes it was a vanity project from Paul McCartney and yes his idea for the movie was not really a good enough plot to hold the movie together. That being said, this plot device allowed them to string together a lot of interesting set pieces and a mix of very good Beatles and solo music restaged for the movie. There are some interesting independent bits that I really like. There's a fantasy period scene with Ringo, Paul and their wives, which becomes more poignant with the passage of time. Another scene has Paul imagine himself in poverty and busking on the street (which he performed for real on the street) and he does a very funny arrangement of "Yesterday." Tracy Ullman appears in the movie, doing some good work--unfortunately she doesn't sing, but that reminds me of Paul's cameo in her music video for "They Don't Know About Us." With this movie, it's a case of the parts being greater than the sum.

But Luke held back didn't burn them, and reacted horrified when Yoda called down the lightning.
    spoilers:
    Yoda is a crafty little muppet... Plays with exact wording he does. "Yes, yes, yes. Wisdom, they held, but that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess." And that is the literal truth because the library is actually empty, and the books can later be seen on board of the Falcon.
    end of spoilers
    Yoda is just a friggin' butthead. Always has been. A movie based on his life is what the franchise needs to pull it out of its dark doldrums.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

John Carter (2012)

Street Fighter (1994): I'm not going to kid myself into thinking it's good, but it's not as terrible as most people say, it's simply bad-borderline mediocre, and I love every minute of it.

Judge Dredd (1995): This one is actually decent, I don't agree with the hate for it. Story and production value are good, and the use of Rob Schneider is actually good, most of the times.

Every Spider-Man movie between 2 and Homecoming: I find both Amazing movies to be pretty decent, and I really love watching them despite their flaws. Spider-Man 3 is my second favorite Spider-Man movie, and it's better than the reboot that followed it.

The Punisher (2004): The cut that has him driving the car of Howard Saints wife to a fire hydrant, not the one where he carries a spare in a bag.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Invincible Member

Ok so I watched the climax...Finn takes a towel from the drawer and gives it to Rose. You see the books there in the same drawer. I think they should have made it clearer that these are the Jedi books.

Having said that, I disagree with people who say that "feminist agenda" somehow ruined this film. At the end of the day, Leia defers to Poe, Finn gets his heroic moment, and Luke is presented as the great savoir and inspirational figure.

James Bond-wise, I think Octopussy was overrated. It kind of balanced the more serious nature of it's immediate predecessor with some of the goofier Roger Moore-era stuff. Even the scene with Bond in the clown suit is pretty tense considering the stakes. I think Moore should've left with this film, since AVTAK was pretty dire.

Licence to Kill gets a bad rap but the villains are far better than Dalton's first outing and it's generally more suited to his take on Bond than TLD was (Which was at least partially written for Moore or Brosnan).

Although The World Is Not Enough's action is a bit badly shot and Denise Richards is meh, It's got a kind of cool story and some of the best dramatic material of the Brosnan era. Especially stands out because it's kind of sandwiched between Brosnan's far more cartoony second and final films.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    James Bond-wise, I think Octopussy was overrated. It kind of balanced the more serious nature of it's immediate predecessor with some of the goofier Roger Moore-era stuff. Even the scene with Bond in the clown suit is pretty tense considering the stakes. I think Moore should've left with this film, since AVTAK was pretty dire.

Licence to Kill gets a bad rap but the villains are far better than Dalton's first outing and it's generally more suited to his take on Bond than TLD was (Which was at least partially written for Moore or Brosnan).

Although The World Is Not Enough's action is a bit badly shot and Denise Richards is meh, It's got a kind of cool story and some of the best dramatic material of the Brosnan era. Especially stands out because it's kind of sandwiched between Brosnan's far more cartoony second and final films.
    Ya mean underrated.

Mighty Member

Predator 2: Just because there's no Arnold and not set in the jungle doesn't mean it's bad, i love this because it's different than the original and not a repeat and that's good! i love it and will defend it including 2 youtube friends of mine who are popular reviewers there will continue to defend it, i saw this in theaters when i was 9 and enjoyed it as much as the original. Plus Danny Glover was a badass in this movie! this in my opinion was the last Predator film worth a damn. AVP 1 and 2 were lame, Predators was boring and pathetic and The Predator was a joke.

Robocop 2: here's another one me and 2 youtube friends of mine will continue to defend! i thought this was a badass sequel since i saw it in theaters at the same age of 9 and had some violent action, same satire of the original and coolness, plus Weller as Robocop again. This was the last Robocop thing worth a damn before he became a joke with Robocop 3, the Robocop TV shows and Roboflop 2014 (aka Robocock 2014 according to Ocpcommunications in his rant/review).

Ghostbusters 2: I will continue to defend this one, sure it's not as excellent as the first and had a couple of problems but still a fun sequel i enjoyed since i saw it on my 8th birthday in theaters! this was the last GB movie worth a damn and better than Crapbusters 2016 (aka Ballbusters according to one of my youtube critic friends) and the franchise died with Ramis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

TWINE might actually be the best Bond films Brosnan had as an actor.

I feel like Thunderball doesn’t get enough lives it’s classic and so much of the stuff ripped off from the franchise comes from that.

Fantastic Member

I'll defend Dude, Where's My Car? till I die.