Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Solo as in Star Wars, or Solo as in Mario Van Peebles?
    Star Wars. But now I am curious about the other one
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    I haven't met anyone like that IRL. I've seen them online, but everyone I know IRL who didn't like TLJ and didn't see Solo in reaction to not liking TLJ thought it was bloated, badly paced, poorly written and basically a giant fuck-you to the fans because of how it treated Luke. Nothing at all to do with SJW or whatever, just a bad movie.
    Also, it underperformed and Solo REALLY underperformed, so it's disingenuous to say "oh people like it anyway it's just a few cranks."
    Because I'm curious, why do you think it treated Luke badly?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I enjoyed Solo, but it was a lightweight caper movie relying on getting the audience to accept a new actor as Han Solo. It was risky and it didn't work for a lot of people. I think it is fun, roughly the equivalent of Marvel's Ant-Man in terms of entertainment value, but I think a lot of Star Wars fans want something a little more epic. It didn't deserve to flop, but the market was crowded with films of this genre this year. The idea that it flopped because people boycotted it out of of personal dislike of Kathleen Kennedy is unconvincing, imo.
    I don't think normal people boycotted it because of Kennedy, but there's various "Gate-type" folks out there...

But I do think it didn't help that Solo was released immediately after Jedi left the theaters ( it felt like it was barely a few weeks). Folks didn't have a chance to catch their breaths. If they had waited until fall/winter I'm sure it would have done better.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Because I'm curious, why do you think it treated Luke badly?
    Turning him into a weird old hermit. It's one thing for him to be bitter, but the whole milking the walrus-monster and tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder like it's a fucking Adam Sandler movie...

Turning him into a weird old hermit. It's one thing for him to be bitter, but the whole milking the walrus-monster and tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder like it's a fucking Adam Sandler movie...

I could have sworn there's a clip somewhere where he also wondered why Luke didn't have a family or at least a girlfriend, but here is this clip where Hamill echoed your sentiments. And I agree with him. I'm not a fan of making the previous generation look bad in order to make the new generation look good in comparison, but presumably there's an overarching story that will make it all come together.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I don't think normal people boycotted it because of Kennedy, but there's various "Gate-type" folks out there...

But I do think it didn't help that Solo was released immediately after Jedi left the theaters ( it felt like it was barely a few weeks). Folks didn't have a chance to catch their breaths. If they had waited until fall/winter I'm sure it would have done better.
    I agree and think Solo would have done so much better if Disney would not have forced them to move Solo to May and kept it in December. Give the people who hated TLJ a little time to calm down.

tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder like it's a fucking Adam Sandler movie...
    Felt more like they were trying to do an MCU undercut/subvert-the-big-moment gag.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

"john carter".

disney had no faith in the movie and didn't market it well. but it was a thrill ride. the only reason people didn't care for it was due to it being "cliche".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Felt more like they were trying to do an MCU undercut/subvert-the-big-moment gag.
    A big part of the problem is that JJ Abrams wrote the endin of The force Awakens as building up to this super-epic moment, without actually having the slightest clue what that moment was going to be. So I find it very hard to blame Johnson to just deflate the moment instead of having his story twisted by a set-up without a punch line from the previous writer.

By the way, has it ever been reveiled anywhere why the damn lightsaber isn't some fragments of scrap floating around in Bespin's core?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    A big part of the problem is that JJ Abrams wrote the endin of The force Awakens as building up to this super-epic moment, without actually having the slightest clue what that moment was going to be. So I find it very hard to blame Johnson to just deflate the moment instead of having his story twisted by a set-up without a punch line from the previous writer.
    Oh, I'm totally on board with Johnson just throwing away the rudderless "mystery boxes". But that is the one moment that felt like it didn't belong in a Star Wars movie. I was fine with the comedy elsewhere; it fit with previous Star Wars, even if a lot of fans want to deny it.

By the way, has it ever been reveiled anywhere why the damn lightsaber isn't some fragments of scrap floating around in Bespin's core?
    Well, I guess Abrams gets to keep one of his mystery boxes.

Invincible Member

It probably says something about me that I liked Luke as a crusty old hermit LOL. But I will admit one thing I thought didn't make sense was
    spoilers:
    Burning all the Jedi books! And Yoda being fine with it! I mean, even though Luke has been bitter for a long time, he obviously thought these things still some value otherwise he wouldn't keep them to begin with. Leave them for someone else, don't destroy them.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

It probably says something about me that I liked Luke as a crusty old hermit LOL. But I will admit one thing I thought didn't make sense was
    spoilers:
    Burning all the Jedi books! And Yoda being fine with it! I mean, even though Luke has been bitter for a long time, he obviously thought these things still some value otherwise he wouldn't keep them to begin with. Leave them for someone else, don't destroy them.
    end of spoilers
    But Luke held back didn't burn them, and reacted horrified when Yoda called down the lightning.
    spoilers:
    Yoda is a crafty little muppet... Plays with exact wording he does. "Yes, yes, yes. Wisdom, they held, but that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess." And that is the literal truth because the library is actually empty, and the books can later be seen on board of the Falcon.
    end of spoilers

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    But Luke held back didn't burn them, and reacted horrified when Yoda called down the lightning.
    spoilers:
    Yoda is a crafty little muppet... Plays with exact wording he does. "Yes, yes, yes. Wisdom, they held, but that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess." And that is the literal truth because the library is actually empty, and the books can later be seen on board of the Falcon.
    end of spoilers
    They are? How did I miss that?

Battleship, the movie based on the board game.
    I'm not sure if it is hated, but it underperformed at the box office and critics were not kind.
    But for me, it was entertaining and I enjoyed watching it.

Gods of Egypt.
    What can I say? Badly made, campy, cheesy (whether intended or not) fantasy movies is a guilty pleasure of mine

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    Battleship, the movie based on the board game.
    I'm not sure if it is hated, but it underperformed at the box office and critics were not kind.
    But for me, it was entertaining and I enjoyed watching it.

Gods of Egypt.
    What can I say? Badly made, campy, cheesy (whether intended or not) fantasy movies is a guilty pleasure of mine
    Watched Battleship once. About the only scene I actually enjoyed was when the Mighty Mo unleashed hell.