dma002

Default Looking for Classic Horror Comic [mid 1970s]

Greetings, all -

I was very into the horror genre of comics when I was a kid, mainly reading them during the mid- to late-1970s, if memory serves; I read a wide variety of different titles - House of Mystery, House of Secrets, The Witching Hour, and the like. I have collected several of my favorite titles in recent years, but there is one story that I am looking for that I still haven't been able to locate. Because of the wide gamut if titles I read, I can't remember which one featured it. I am hopeful that some horror aficionado can help me solve the mystery:

A young boy lives with his mother in a big old house, and she's always telling him about how terrible the outside world can be. When she finally passes away, and her body is being carried out of the house, the front door disappears. In fact, all of the doors in the house have vanished. Years go by, and the young man remains trapped in the house. One night, during a thunderstorm, a girl comes to the house and knocks, saying that her car has broken down. She seems to come through the wall, as the young man sees only a blank wall where the girl says the door is. She asks him to come away with her, but he declines, affirming to her that there is no door, and he is a prisoner. She reluctantly leaves, appearing to vanish back into the wall. After she departs, the front door suddenly reappears - he is elated, noticing that all the doors are now visible, and he free to leave through any one of them. The final panel shows him as an older man, still trying to decide which door to use.

Please bear in mind that my memory of this story is many decades old, so a few of the details may be off, but I have related them as best I can. Any assistance in locating this comic book would be greatly appreciated. It's making me nuts!

Many thanks.

Spectacular Member

If you haven't already done this, I recommend going to MyComicShop.com, displaying the appropriate issue ranges for the titles you mentioned, and just browsing the comic summaries to see if you find it. If anything, you can probably eliminate some titles from your search. Good luck!

Spectacular Member

Had any luck?