So, one of the things I have long missed about the Amazons is the weird mixture of ancient Greek & technological brilliance. Pre-crisis WW embraced this throughout its whole run, from Diana inventing the purple ray to Amazons wearing weird "invisible" space suits made from the same material as the invisible plane to fight Astarte.

I'm probably late to the party for just realizing this, but I've seen Black Panther four times and tonight I'm watching Avengers: Infinity War again, and the Wakandan mix of tradition and futuristic is just so very neat and so much more interesting than the Amazons remaining a culture frozen in time. It works! Perez's choice to do make the Amazons a "hidden, unchanged culture" served the idea of a naive Diana experiencing the outer world for the first time, but it also took much of the interest in the Amazons away.

Phil Jimenez was the one to try to bridge the pre-crisis & post-crisis gap, setting up one of the islands as - if iircc? - galacticly vital research spaces and interstellar libraries. But this faded after Rucka kicked the islands to Earth (a story I love, btw), and by the time of Azzarello (whose run I really enjoyed), the Amazons were back to being stuck in time. Or maybe they really weren't, but he kept them snakes most of the time, so who knows?

Anyway, I am reminded by some Marvel movies how much I loved the funky mixture of ancient & futuristic in WW before Crisis. And while he did great things for the WW property, those Perezian Amazons that made it into the WW movie are not my favorite Amazons.

But I am certainly not hating on Robin Wright or Connie Neilson. They kick ass.