Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This is a better, more accurate T'challa than Coates wrote for two years
    This right here, I would say he is kinda inching that way to this Tchalla in his intergalactic saga but this Cap book shows he CAN write a decent Tchalla if he wants to...

I'm actually surprised that Coates Cap book is actually pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by bomaya View Post
    Really don't know what you guys like about Yu's art. I find it so ugly. It's got better over the years but is only now just about bearable.
    This was the first issue where I actually enjoyed Coates' writing, the plot actually feels like it's flowing now and I agree that Sharon's sub-plot was by far the most interesting bit of the book.
    His art can be jarring at times. I’ve enjoyed his work in general and this series in particular. Funny the range of artists who’ve recently penciled Cap. I found Steve McNiven’s style amazing depicting Steve and Sharon, but his action scenes especially with Cap fell flat for me.

While I generally find Romita’s style too cartoonish I admit he depicts raw action well. Samnee also has a more cartoony feel, sometimes I’m in the mood, sometimes not. His art on Cap and Bucky with Brubaker writing was spot on. His last Cap series didn’t resonate as well.

Even Epting’s action pieces were stiff, while Guice had a more fluid “Colan” feel, unusual camera angles. He remains my favorite Cap, and his artwork for Cap volume 5 issue 47/48 with D’Armata coloring was stunning. Unsung artist is Mike Perkins who’s work during Civil War I was terrific, that one page spread of Cap tearing off Hydra disguise laying into a horde of Hydra was so Romita Sr like. Also his panels of Sharon and Steve eating burgers together, tracking down Bucky were so detailed and natural.

Finally, Lark’s work on Secret Avengers with Ellis was another highlight. All in all quite an array of styles. But I do think Yu is doing well here. Sometimes he seems too raw and messy, but these issues are tight and fluid. Love his panels with Steve and Sharon having dinner.

Thoughts from anyone else?
    Last edited by tliscord; 09-08-2018 at 07:36 AM.

I love Yu's art. One of my favorites in the business.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Did you guys like Waid's Cap and Waid's Black Widow? Think about getting them... (sorry for asking this here)

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Did you guys like Waid's Cap and Waid's Black Widow? Think about getting them... (sorry for asking this here)
    I liked Waid's first run on Cap with Ron Garney. I'm really not a fan of Samnee's art.

so how is the action in this book?

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I liked Waid's first run on Cap with Ron Garney. I'm really not a fan of Samnee's art.
    There is a lot of iconic art out there depicting Cap but that one page spread by Garney and I believe Koblish on inks breaking out of the ice certainly deserves similar recognition.

Action with Yu is good but surprisingly or not it’s his quieter reflective moments I’ve enjoyed. And here I think Coate’s dialogue helps.

Here’s the thing. If Yu opts to stay with the book for the long term I think he will carve out his own Cap legacy. I think Garney and Andy Kubert have impacted Cap , I think Epting, Perkins, and Guice as well. And D’Armata as colorist.

I am absolutely LOVING this book. The writing and the art are magnificent. I loved Waid/Samnee's run but this run has me completely hooked and eager for more! It's easily one of my most anticipated titles every month.

they said that the connection between the villains in this book is that they all fought against Hydra. I remember Fisk doing this. when did Ezekiel Stane oppose Hydra? I must have missed that. I thought that he aligned with Faustus and the Fenris Twins.

Here are my thoughts:

- Definitely the characterization is the best part of this series. Steve’s narration as he’s fighting is quite insightful and to an extent reassuring. I’m guessing there were quite a few Captain America fans out there who felt that Coates would have Steve be unAmerican and state how being a white American is bad and America sucks.

Instead we have a more nuanced approach. Steve has his grievances and calls out the shameful things his country does. But he still believes in the dream, he American dream, and what it could be. A government that isn’t shadowy, but transparent. A government that doesn’t experiment with soldiers (found it cool how Steve showed grief for having to take down those Nuke clones. He’s still a soldier at heart. A good one). An America that pulled itself together after Pearl Harbor.

And all of that narration is juxtaposed against a pretty badass fight scene. In any other comic, we would have seen the heroes exchanging banter or Black Panther having a dramatic showdown with Zeke Stane. But no, all of that isn’t the main point. Steve’s thoughts are.

A mighty good issue indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Pretty hardcore when he spears that Nuke soldier.

Yeah, that may well be a possibility. Although, to be honest, I'm fine with Sharon being older. I kind of like it, actually.

But if they do de-age her, it's all well and good.
    I like that, having an elder Sharon Carter. We finally see a woman who is up in age, but still is dynamic and in the fight. Too often for woman, they lose their relevance, especially in comics, when they no longer look like the super model or goddess. So big respects to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so how is the action in this book?
    Great stuff bro.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I’m interested that small America is in the thrall of the Selene group (following in Hydras footsteps), because they can offer getting their town out of poverty and back supporting the community. Would Steve, on hearing this, possibly think Hydra Steve may have done a good thing? Politicians can’t fix small America, but Hydra can? I know Steve mused that all Hydra was doing was recruiting more agents to Hydra, but the fragmentation of families from the destruction of small town economies, is being halted by Hydra. Are we supposed to think it’s better to accept family fragmentation than to concede membership to Hydra? A lot of people would make the opposite call.

The reality of America is that small America was abandoned by big business interests and they couldn’t give a damn about saving families in distress. I’d like to explore the issue about how can America do this to its own people, while making exorbitant profits while people suffer. Maybe Hydra is preferable to big business and politicians in their pockets? Who is the worse bad guy here, big business interests or Hydra?
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-15-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I’m interested that small America is in the thrall of the Selene group (following in Hydras footsteps), because they can offer getting their town out of poverty and back supporting the community. Would Steve, on hearing this, possibly think Hydra Steve may have done a good thing? Politicians can’t fix small America, but Hydra can? I know Steve mused that all Hydra was doing was recruiting more agents to Hydra, but the fragmentation of families from the destruction of small town economies, is being halted by Hydra. Are we supposed to think it’s better to accept family fragmentation than to concede membership to Hydra? A lot of people would make the opposite call.

The reality of America is that small America was abandoned by big business interests and they couldn’t give a damn about saving families in distress. I’d like to explore the issue about how can America do this to its own people, while making exorbitant profits while people suffer. Maybe Hydra is preferable to big business and politicians in their pockets? Who is the worse bad guy here, big business interests or Hydra?
    That's an interesting thought, and probably the justification a lot of people in-universe had for backing the HYDRA coup, especially since it was led by someone with the face and name of Captain America himself, whom everyone unstintingly trusted even as they had lost faith in superheroes as a whole. Come to think of it, the whole Secret Empire saga was an allegory for the failure of democratic institutions to provide for the security and well-being, economic and otherwise, of the common people, resulting in those people increasingly turning to antidemocratic ideas that pointed their anger not just at the elite institutions that failed (and ignored) them, but also at scapegoats, so-called "others," like minorities, immigrants, foreigners, and even those who simply had or were presumed to have different values from their own. Taking that into account, while it is a good argument, the issue to me is that a country is more than just its economy, and the strength of a nation's spirit is determined by more than just financial prosperity or well-being. HYDRA, or its successor(s), might provide economic revitalization to struggling communities, but do you honestly want to live in a nation led and controlled by HYDRA, knowing its values, knowing what it does and espouses?
    The spider is always on the hunt.