Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Retired

There are probably more titles that I wish I had bought when they came out than the ones that I got when they came out. Obviously there are lots that I could never have got, because I wasn't born yet. But I had opportunity from the late 1960s onward to get titles and I didn't--which I kick myself for now.

Never got most of the mod Diana Prince comics (bought all of them decades later, mostly from eBay auctions); never got the GL/GA issues with Adams art except for one issue (the John Stewart issue) and I still haven't managed to get all the back issues; never bought the early issues of STARMAN (I only have the tradepaperbacks); never got most of the Fourth World comics--I've filled in some issues, but many more to go before I have them all; and lots of horror, western, war and romance comics that I completely overlooked in favour of super-heroes back in the day.

Spectacular Member

It's been so long that DC's put out a comic I could get excited about.

All-Star Squadron
    Atari Force (wasn't revealed to be a limited series until the last issue, so it counts)
    Aquaman (McLaughlin's run that got canceled to make way for PAD.)
    Legion of Superheroes (Paul Levitt's run)
    Teen Titans
    Justice League (satellite and Detroit eras)
    Hawk and Dove (early 90s)
    Brave and the Bold (I love team-up books)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    It's been so long that DC's put out a comic I could get excited about.

All-Star Squadron
    Atari Force (wasn't revealed to be a limited series until the last issue, so it counts)
    Aquaman (McLaughlin's run that got canceled to make way for PAD.)
    Legion of Superheroes (Paul Levitt's run)
    Teen Titans
    Justice League (satellite and Detroit eras)
    Hawk and Dove (early 90s)
    Brave and the Bold (I love team-up books)
    My feelings as well.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Superman-The Jurgens/Ordway era
    Superman-the Jurgens/Kesel/Simonson Era
    Superboy-Kesel/Grummett
    Green Lantern-Marz era
    JLA-Morrison era
    Justice League America-Jurgens era
    JLA-Kelly era
    Superman-Loeb/Kelly era
    The New Teen Titans-Jurgens era
    Supergirl-Peter David era

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Do we have to have bought them every month at the time or can they be runs we caught up with later in trade?
    Buying the trades is fine. It's no different than hunting down back issues IMO.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Buying the trades is fine. It's no different than hunting down back issues IMO.
    These all seem different experiences to me.

Buying the comics every month is what kept me interested in comics for so long--anticipating the next issue coming out, making sure to get to the store in time to get that issue. The 10 comics I listed are ones I lived for--waiting with nervous excitement for them to arrive at my LCS (or drugstore in some cases).

Getting the back issues was a long slog. Trying to find them on eBay or going to mini cons, etc. Trying to fill in a run. The long years and years of toil to get a run together. The pain of never getting a run. The runs of DETECTIVE or BATMAN or WONDER WOMAN that I have accumulated from the 1960s represent a lot of time and money and patience.

Buying TPBs is the great discovery of things you totally missed. One time I bought a TPB of Astro City and then I went back to the LCS and bought every other TPB they had--read them all in less than a week. A phenomenal experience but totally different from the other two.