Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

From the editor. This got me even more excited for this run. Obviously there's more to it than just making Jason scary.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Finally, I had the chance to read the issue and, I have mixed feelings about it.

Is nice to see Jason actually showcasing his combat skills but I felt like the brutality was unneeded, the story was pretty much all set up so there's not much to speak about but is definitely a missing opportunity to not explain the change of outfit. Especially when the annual handwaved Jason using his old N52 costume. Also following with the costume, for a change that supposedly is about showing off Jason's expressions, the hoddie did more to hide Jason's face than the helmet ever did.

As for the art, I'm not convinced by it. Woods has an excellent eye for action and to choreography fights but when he drew Jason out of costume and interacting with other people, the quality took a nose dive.

I think it's not that the new costume restricts it. Technically, it's possible to draw facial expressions even with the hoodie just whether the artist feels the need to. In this issue they hide his expression on purpose because the focus was on his action, and the lack of it gives off uncertainty to people who get to interact with him or get in his way, and in turn it makes us unsure of where he stands atm, emotionally speaking.
    Last edited by G-Potion; 09-12-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    I think it's not that the new costume restricts it. Technically, it's possible to draw facial expressions even with the hoodie just whether the artist feels the need to. In this issue they hide his expression on purpose because the focus was on his action, and the lack of it gives off uncertainty to people who get to interact with him or get in his way, and in turn it makes us unsure of where he stands atm, emotionally speaking.
    Actually, the whole issue was told from an outside perspective, mostly. We have very little insight of Jason's own mind. We see him through the bus driver, the angent and bad guys' eyes most of the time. A bit smart move for a faux-first issue of a new stage.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    From the editor. This got me even more excited for this run. Obviously there's more to it than just making Jason scary.

CBR articles should never be taken seriously. They are just clickbaits, but it's still nice that the editor has confirmed that this isn't what they are doing with Jason (which was already confirmed by Lobdell multiple times already, but some people needs a reminder).

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Since the last DC Nation issues basically Listed Roy as the one who is most likely to die, I'm wondering if Roy will actually only be severely injured but not the one who will die.
    DC put a lot of effort to trick fans if it was just a red herring.

I would be extermly surprised if he didn't end up dead.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I hope there will be an explanation for the costume change in one of the next issues. This one was probably mainly used to set the tone of the new story arc.

I know that it was said in the past that Jason is using THE crowbar. Was that a rumor or was there some official statement? I can't remember. So far it seems like an ordinary crowbar to me.

It's a shame that Jason declined the offer of the FBI agent. Jason and the FBI working together could have been an interesting story element. And although I don't think that Jason killed the sheriff off-panel, I do hope that he at least shattered his "World's best sheriff" mug. (Edit: I reread the issue and you can actually see the mug falling because the sheriff accidentally pushes it off the counter.)
    I'm still a little confused about the hidden Scooby Doo head on the preview cover (which isn't on the print cover, by the way). Is this some kind of DC insider joke I don't understand?
    Last edited by Sergard; 09-13-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Did he poke the guy's eyes? The dirty fighting is back holysht.

Also I find it funny that he'd take time coloring the logo. Was it red pen? Red crayon? The blood of those poor souls?

Last edited by G-Potion; 09-13-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Oh, and I think we can discard the weird blood color on this issue as being related in any way to the Cyborgs in Silencer. The blood was colored differently on nearly every panel.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    DC put a lot of effort to trick fans if it was just a red herring.

I would be extermly surprised if he didn't end up dead.
    Erm...DC put a heck of a lot of effort into the Wedding PR though and we saw where that went. Because of that I'm not going to believe anything until I see it happen.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Oh, and I think we can discard the weird blood color on this issue as being related in any way to the Cyborgs in Silencer. The blood was colored differently on nearly every panel.
    Yeah, it definitely seems to have been lighting/coloring choices. On the topic, I'm glad to see the violence was not curbed, or at least didn't come off that way.

I'm no gore-hound, but in general it's always just nice to see a writer be allowed to tell and show the story as they intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Erm...DC put a heck of a lot of effort into the Wedding PR though and we saw where that went. Because of that I'm not going to believe anything until I see it happen.
    I don't think Roy's death can be compared to the wedding which was a big deal, but you never know with DC.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I don't think Roy's death can be compared to the wedding which was a big deal, but you never know with DC.
    For myself I just don't believe anything until I see it these days and its because of that nonsense with the Wedding that I'm skeptical of all this. It may look like Roy's going to die and it may even appear that he does die in HiC but I wouldn't put it past both DC and King for both to be a massive red herring either. In any case I really can't take it seriously anyway given that whichever major character is killed here will likely be back within six months to a year. Comic book deaths/resurrections have become so commonplace these days that I really feel like they've basically become a joke at this point and they just don't have the same emotional punch for me that they used to either.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

A pretty good introduction to the new arc with Woods being great at mood and atmosphere. The dirty fighting and sense of emotional desplacement of Jason was well translated but I too want the explanation for the change but Loedbell will obviously get to it.

Between the Annual, this issue and the new stills of the Titans show (with Jason`s appearance and his relationship with Dick being the only reason I`ll have to see it - I`m actually surprised they showed him in the gear already but good hype move) this has been a pretty great month.

Moar!

Spectacular Member

Just read it. It's a strange feeling that it combines the Jason in Lost Days + UT(R)H into this 225+ lbs hoodie who just dumped Black Mask's dock in Arkham Knight DLC...

I like it! The combat scenes are fluent. And he just feels OK to show his face in front of this FBI agent twice