Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

You can guarantee further down the line they will be called up before Grallix the Judginator or The Onyx Invigilator for multiverse infractions which always makes for a good FF story. The creative team just have to write themselves out of the hole marvel put them in first

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    You can guarantee further down the line they will be called up before Grallix the Judginator or The Onyx Invigilator for multiverse infractions which always makes for a good FF story. The creative team just have to write themselves out of the hole marvel put them in first
    Lol. You're right, of course.

As I've walking over to sisters I've been pondering what would be best thing to do if some one was really in Franklin's apparent position of being able to do anything they can imagine.

I think I would take the prosaic and practical line of improving myself before engineering universes. The three most useful attributes are arguably intelligence, speed, and empathy for others. I'd probably start altering myself to have more of those attributes, and a few other key ones.

I think I'd start by increasing my intelligence a bit..think a bit more and proceed slowly. Put it this way, if Franklin has the example of his father and sister before him, and can't imagine being more intelligent...he's maybe not best person to be qualified for really big projects.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Apparently a reduced power Franklin is still going to be stronger than Thor, Silver Surfer, and Hulk. So what does Ben do? Hold Franklin’s coat while Franklin overpowers all but the cosmic entities in two panel?
    Ben will do what he always does, I mean they are comics with Thor and Cap America,Black Widow and Hawkeye in it and they find stuff for them to do in it. Anyways I don't think they are done limiting Franklin's power I will be surprised if a weakness or downside isn't mention.

And second nagging thought: is letting Franklin at such a young age create universe after universe full (I assume) of sentient beings really consistent with Reed and Sue’s actions in the past?

They have been consistently cautious on that..using various methods to damp the powers. What has changed to make them so confident that this is a reasonable thing to do? Call me imaginative...but I can think of several ways to more gradually develop Franklin’s powers!

As I read comics years in arrears always happy to see how things go, then decide whether to read or not. But...I think Dan Slott is going to have to be really creative and in top form to make this work. But then...that’s what we always hope for in a FF writer anyway.
    Your thoughts aren't wrong but I am seeing a lot over thinking happening when people are discussing this do you guys real need a panel with something like "Reed and Sue examined the universes for flaws and had molecule man and franklin fix them But with everything in life not every flaw you can fix". I mean I am generally assuming that Reed is smart enough to see consequence of these actions have a contingency for what they are doing. You guys are taking something that is kinda light and whimsy and are overthinking it vastly. I mean what are we talking about Reed Richards is smart enough to build time and multidimensional travel machines but he can't build renewable clean energy sources, stop global warming, create stuff to stop famine,cure cancer or other diseases,etc. I mean if we are poking holes in comics we can do this all day and this level thinking makes for the type of comics I like to read but I understand the level at which genre is trying to be at you have to infer some things like "Reed and Sue can't reach Johnny and Ben" or "They view Franklin's universe creation like natural universe creation" or else you will drive yourself crazy imo. I mean

Yeah the genre can be deep and cover everything you mention with a clear explanation but you can tell that fine details were not that important to the story they were trying to tell, You can assume that means that characters aren't taking those thing into consideration or you can assume that they did just easy as well. As with the picture above who is the audience and what level of story are they trying to tell sometimes comics aren't trying to be that deep
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-18-2018 at 02:45 AM.

BANNED

They are.

But theres’s surely a legitimate series of questions to be asked about whether the main characters are being written consistent with their history, and whether going forward most story lines will make sense given the characters claimed power sets.

Given that we’ve had long arcs where Reed has seen the danger of hubris, learnt the importance of teamwork and family, etc...it does seem strange that he feels it’s okay to create universes without a fair degree of certainty how it will pan out. Meanwhile leaving Johnny and Ben in total ignorance.

But right at start of arc...we’ve established that’s okay. And it’s also okay to change others peoples memories. Basically ...prudence and conventional morality has been jettisoned, in favour of experimentation and pragmatism.

And then we have a character whose power set is: “he can do anything he wants, on any scale up to creating universes without any apparent power source...except on unspecified times when he can’t”.

It doesn’t strike me as a great set-up for any but cosmic level stories. If the Richards family now struggle against the likes of Puppet Master, Mad Thinker, Frightful Four...it’s going to look as phoney as a three dollar bill.

But part of me hopes they do give Franklin at full power or near it a good long run. Let’s see if it can work..because the line “he will be become ultra-powerful one day” shouldn’t go on forever if we want to see overall story progression, rather than same stories re-run.

In my usual pessimistic way..I think a long run of ultra powered Franklin wouldn’t go well. But if it’s tried and go badly. Then he could just be permanently depowered, and we could move on..rather than effectively stuck in Groundhog Day.

And..of course..easily possible I’d be wrong, permanent full power Franklin might work well..and he can stay at that level. Either way would represent progress.
    Instead of wringing your hands over how hard it's going to be to have a character with god-like powers in the FF and what kind of stories they'll be able to tell, how about you...I don't know...just read the book and see where it goes?

By the second issue, Franklin can no longer create universes. He may be completely diminished in power before the first arc is over. Or maybe he won't be and Slott has ingenious plans in store on how to incorporate his powers.

It's not my job to pre-write the next few years of the FF. I just have to read it, if I'm enjoying it. Or eventually stop if I'm not. If nothing else, knowing how like he likes to play the long game, I'm quite sure that Slott has things very well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This outfit, in the new colors, would look great on Nita Namorita.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Instead of wringing your hands over how hard it's going to be to have a character with god-like powers in the FF and what kind of stories they'll be able to tell, how about you...I don't know...just read the book and see where it goes?

There is no need to because ... you know ... the premise sucks. I mean, welll um... you know the Franklin can do anything theme is already old that and they already destroyed three storylines with this and ... ummm.. like ... that story plot that Franklin can do anything really is bad. And like this one is not even creative. At least when Nathaniel Richards showed up with teen age Psi-Lord, that was creative.

I think we can all agree that this is a storyline that can not succeed. Franklin can't remain all powerful. Where is Agatha Harkness when you need her.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 09-18-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I think we can all agree that this is a storyline that can not succeed.
    No we don't all agree.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

I think we can all agree that this is a storyline that can not succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    No we don't all agree.
    Co-signed.

It's succeeding quite well so far as far as I'm concerned. People can always opt out if it's not for them.

BANNED

I'm quite sure that Slott has things very well thought out.

Someone somewhere must like his previous work, but to me, Slott has been a very bad writter. His Spider-mans were the only ones I never read. I loved his use of Squirel Girl and his killing off Avengers every month. That was a great plot line. "Pull my Thing", another triumph. I didn't give this much thought, but now when you consider this, you have to openly wonder why Marvel would assign him to bring back their original franchise when so many good writers are available.

they should have contacted Scott and David Tipton

There is no need to because ... you know ... the premise sucks. I mean, welll um... you know the Franklin can do anything theme is already old that and they already destroyed three storylines with this and ... ummm.. like ... that story plot that Franklin can do anything really is bad. And like this one is not even creative. At least when Nathaniel Richards showed up with teen age Psi-Lord, that was creative.

I think we can all agree that this is a storyline that can not succeed. Franklin can't remain all powerful. Where is Agatha Harkness when you need her.
    If you read the book you would know that by the end of #2 Franklin has effectively been reduced in power and potentially had limits placed on anything else he may do. So not reading the book is making your comments seem tangential to it.

BANNED

Someone somewhere must like his previous work, but to me, Slott has been a very bad writter. His Spider-mans were the only ones I never read. I loved his use of Squirel Girl and his killing off Avengers every month. That was a great plot line. "Pull my Thing", another triumph. I didn't give this much thought, but now when you consider this, you have to openly wonder why Marvel would assign him to bring back their original franchise when so many good writers are available.
    Yes, actually a lot of someones somewhere like his previous work. He's a hugely popular and respected writer.

Your personal dislike of his work is your own subjective opinion and you're, of course, entitled to it (even if someone who "never read" his Spider-Man run and refers to a storyline I don't think actually existed in which he was "killing off Avengers every month" doesn't have much of a leg to stand on when assessing Slott's work) but an Eisner winning writer who helmed a successful and acclaimed decade long run on Marvel's flagship character is, by any reasonable measure, an excellent choice to put on a FF relaunch. You can "openly wonder" about their choice but for the vast majority of readers it was an obvious pick - to the point where his name was on the wish list of many fans for when the FF inevitably came back.

His Spider-mans were the only ones I never read.
    You missed an opportunity to read how he wrote the Fantastic Four as Spider-Man supporting characters, Peter's stint in the Future Foundation from his perspective, and how he's practically an extended member of the family.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

I don’t think it’s an either/ or...ethical issues have been explored before in plenty of essentially light hearted mainstream comics.
    But, my point is that this story doesn't appear to be one of those. If it is not the subject or theme then there is little point worrying about something the writer isn't worried about.

I do have mixed feelings about this story line. One...I’ve always thought that having a full strength Franklin, or near full strength Franklin on team for any length of time will skew stories that can be told, and make the team balance even more unbalanced.
    Sure it can be tricky. Precisely why he can no longer create universes, and may have other so far unrevealed limitations. The trick is to show a limitation and then make it clear he isn't a plot destroyer.

Apparently a reduced power Franklin is still going to be stronger than Thor, Silver Surfer, and Hulk. So what does Ben do? Hold Franklin’s coat while Franklin overpowers all but the cosmic entities in two panel?
    The way I see it, these characters were chosen carefully to be characters that have successfully been used in team books. Its a substantial de-powering. He's the equivalent of a cosmic hero now, not a cosmic entity.

And second nagging thought: is letting Franklin at such a young age create universe after universe full (I assume) of sentient beings really consistent with Reed and Sue’s actions in the past?
    He didn't. He had help. And I get the impression they were playing with variables. A super No Man's Sky if you will. I don't think they were specifically creating life, they were creating universes that could generate life. Indeed I suspect the 'More Caves' line is a direct reference to NMS.

They have been consistently cautious on that..using various methods to damp the powers. What has changed to make them so confident that this is a reasonable thing to do? Call me imaginative...but I can think of several ways to more gradually develop Franklin’s powers!

As I read comics years in arrears always happy to see how things go, then decide whether to read or not. But...I think Dan Slott is going to have to be really creative and in top form to make this work. But then...that’s what we always hope for in a FF writer anyway.
    The issue is, Franklin was being set up throughout Hickman's run to be this universe creator. That was his arc. It was decided before this story and now that chapter is over. Like I said before, this is what Slott inherited, it is not his story. Franklin will not continue to be a super universe creator in this story.

Also the 'problem' of Franklin has been expressed in comics for decades. He has rebooted the entire universe twice now! Every writer of the F4 has to work this out somehow.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-18-2018 at 06:33 AM.

for the vast majority of readers it was an obvious pick - to the point where his name was on the wish list of many fans for when the FF inevitably came back.
    Yep. The anouncement was underwhelming because everyone guessed this was what he would be writing. Many people were actively asking for him to write it.

I haven't read Slott's Silver Surfer run but at least he already has experience writing cosmic stories and even creating new abstract characters like the Queen of Nevers.
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.