Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    BAS, your complaint is based on

1) some imaginary pattern that every FF storyline that involves Franklin results in him using his powers in some reality-warping way.

2) trying to predict what Dan Slott is going to write.

Franklin's biggest feats since being an active character has being aging himself up, sending the heroes to Heroes Reborn and reviving Galactus to defeat Abraxas since he couldn't defeat Abraxas directly. Also he was an active member after he was aged to the teens by his grandfather and the writer avoided the same problems people are complaining about here.
    No... it's from watching writers go to the same wells with Fantastic Four.

My idea is that for them to be truly Fantastic, you need a writer who can come up with some wild new scenarios that don't owe their plotlines to earlier writers. How many times do you need to see one or more of the FF lose their powers? How many times has one or more members decided to call it quits?

Franklin HAS been used as the ultimate 'solution' several times already. Let's not go to that particular well again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I know its weird. Anyone would think he was responsible for major problems with the book over the decades.
    Yes he has been and it has made for some terrible marvel storylines. ANd not since 1968, about about FF 350 or so when his power was ramped up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post

My idea is that for them to be truly Fantastic, you need a writer who can come up with some wild new scenarios that don't owe their plotlines to earlier writers. How many times do you need to see one or more of the FF lose their powers? How many times has one or more members decided to call it quits?

Franklin HAS been used as the ultimate 'solution' several times already. Let's not go to that particular well again.
    too late. It is now the very premise of this arch. Franklin Richards has done everything but resurrect Jack Kirby, who is without a doubt spinning in his grave over this.

BANNED

If you read the book you would know that by the end of #2 Franklin has effectively been reduced in power and potentially had limits placed on anything else he may do.

I know no such thing because there is no explanation what happened to him, nor was it anticipated in the story. There is no narrative here to follow.

The "something different" argument has been made a few times here. This was the major issue with the last run of FF by james Robinson. Good stuff, but everything had been done before and nothing was new or different (except uniform colors, ecch).

Seeing a truly different take and style which is as different from what's out there as the original FF 1 was back in 1961 would have been my preference. But, and this is a huge but, that would have been a gamble. New takes aren't nearly as low risk as a similar view. I get why Marvel went with Slott. His work on different takes for Spidey and his Surfer series made different seem possible, if not as different as I might like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    too late. It is now the very premise of this arch. Franklin Richards has done everything but resurrect Jack Kirby, who is without a doubt spinning in his grave over this.
    It's "arc." Not "arch."

Also, fans always put themselves on bad footing when they try to speak on behalf of deceased creators that they never met.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The "something different" argument has been made a few times here. This was the major issue with the last run of FF by james Robinson. Good stuff, but everything had been done before and nothing was new or different (except uniform colors, ecch).

This is worst than that though. This is being stuck on the same storyline plot point for a decade. This is quicksand for writers.

Neil Gaiman he is not.
    I like Gaimen, he is IMO overrated. To me that's a bit like saying red isn't green. I would agree Slott isn't as deep as Hickman or as thought provoking as Gillen, but he is just as good a writer as Tom King. For pure comic book enjoyment I would go to Slott. He never fails to make me smile.

I would be willing to bet he would be delighted with the way many modern comic books are written including this one. If a number of his books and ideas were only published today fans would be just as divided. Sadly people like to dump on writers just because they write things they don't personally care for. I see a direct influence from Kirby in some of what Slott has written YMMV.

Maybe this book needs Grant Morrison.

This is worst than that though. This is being stuck on the same storyline plot point for a decade. This is quicksand for writers.
    You are building castles in the air. Unless you have been reading Slott's notes you have no idea where this may go. Why are you fixated on this one sub-plot? What about it is so offensive to your sensibilities?

It's still really early days, the book isn't even on issue 3 yet. There's no telling where things could go.

Some are already speaking like the run is in it's 12th issue already.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-18-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

What are these several times besides the 3 I mentioned where Franklin was the deus ex machina? Don't try to cheat and tell me go read through all of FF.

BANNED

I would be willing to bet he would be delighted with the way many modern comic books are written including this one.
    Did you ever meet Jack when he was alive? He would not be happy with this, if he cared at all.

BANNED

Sadly people like to dump on writers just because they write things they don't personally care for..
    Oh no, that is not gonna fly. There are measurable problems with this script that have nothing to do with opinion, but based on literary principles of narrative, character development and linearity of the plot.

This story is missing all three of those. It should never had gotten past the editor.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 09-18-2018 at 11:56 AM.