Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Geez calm your ****!!! I'm Gay myself. Your misunderstanding what i'm saying. It's just annoying that they keep saying Iceman is gay when its been stated since the O5 came here. And his SOLO. We don't need to hear its not needed in every panel in every issue.
    I think I sorta realized what you meant after the fact so I straight up apologize.

There's something about this preview that takes it a step further than the last volume did, to a point that - as a gay man myself - I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Bobby and Bishop are going to be a lot of fun. Nice preview, looking forward to the issue!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I think I sorta realized what you meant after the fact so I straight up apologize.

There's something about this preview that takes it a step further than the last volume did, to a point that - as a gay man myself - I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with.
    OK :-)

No, i'm with you there it's just i'm already seeing the same mistakes now it had in the previous Solo. DID WE NOT LEARN??? I like this Bishop team up pretty cool, this book has so much potential I just hope it doesn't flop like last time.

Geez calm your ****!!! I'm Gay myself. Your misunderstanding what i'm saying. It's just annoying that they keep saying Iceman is gay when its been stated since the O5 came here. And his SOLO. We don't need to hear its not needed in every panel in every issue.
    I understand your criticism, but saying that it's "thrown in your face" might not be the best way to phrase it. A lot of homophobes say exactly that about every single thing a gay person does while simply existing.

Personally I don't think it's that bad. Look at the Amazing Spider-Man preview for instance, just as much focus has been placed on Peter Parker's relationship with Mary Jane, and no one complains that his heterosexuality is being shoved in our face.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    He should go with that look, with a tail!
    It's too spiky for my taste. I'm not even sure how he's turning his neck.

I'm not gonna lie, for the most part this looks pretty good but there are parts about it that are kinda cringe. Like the fucking Beyonce exchange.

We get it, Sina, you're a gay cliche. I really enjoyed the first volume because it wasn't overly filled with references to drag race, Beyonce, the club scene. These are all things that I'm not convinced Bobby would be into - the hook up scene, sure, but Bobby doesn't seem the type to really enjoy most of those other things to me. A major complaint about volume one was making Bobby's entire sexuality define him and I didn't see it then but I can unfortunately see them going that route with this.

All of this. I, myself am Gay and I didn't like this preview to be honest. Back when Bobby first came out, and people were complaining that Bobby's character had basically done a 180; I didn't agree. I thought the handling of his character was pretty true to someone coming out late in life.

However, this is all very cringe-y and cliche to me. Do not get me wrong, I love Drag Race and enjoy Beyonce...but this doesn't feel right.

As mentioned above, Idie referencing pop-culture like that doesn't feel right either.

I want to support this, but I don't know... I hope this doesn't coming off as 'self-hate'. As far as I can tell, Bobby still acts and talks like Bobby...based on the preview it's the tone of the rest of the book that feels off...
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

BANNED

I like this seems good. Only thing that bothers me is him being gay constantly thrown in my face. Other than that YAY!!!
    I just... what? Because straight characters' sexualities aren't thrown in queer people's faces all the time. Gtfo.

I'm not gonna lie, for the most part this looks pretty good but there are parts about it that are kinda cringe. Like the fucking Beyonce exchange.

We get it, Sina, you're a gay cliche. I really enjoyed the first volume because it wasn't overly filled with references to drag race, Beyonce, the club scene. These are all things that I'm not convinced Bobby would be into - the hook up scene, sure, but Bobby doesn't seem the type to really enjoy most of those other things to me. A major complaint about volume one was making Bobby's entire sexuality define him and I didn't see it then but I can unfortunately see them going that route with this.
    Not every character talks about relationships. Bobby had girlfriends in the past, but there were big gaps and weren't a central element. I hope there's more than just this....again.

some parts are funny others are...."oh Sina you haven't changed"...I'm not sure I followed that dialogue with the woman he rescued he went all ADD again..it reads the way Seth McFarland switches between scenes in Family Guy. Not sure how I feel about him not wanting to work with Bishop....it reads wrong.

The art is bad...like it got wet

Why is idie blasting fire? Shouldn't she be turning the ice monster into fire or something? Why is she talking this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Why is idie blasting fire? Shouldn't she be turning the ice monster into fire or something?
    That's not how Idie's powers work. She takes heat from somewhere else and the absence of heat creates ice, she can then redirect that heat into flames that she blasts.

She can't take heat from the ice golem since it shouldn't have any heat to begin with, so blasting it with fire is her best chance.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Why is idie blasting fire? Shouldn't she be turning the ice monster into fire or something? Why is she talking this way?
    For reals. it's my biggest gripe with how she has been written since Hopeless' run on All New and with this preview. She's not an American teen. Honestly until the fire thing I wasn't even sure it was her.

BANNED

Idie went from calling women whores for having sex before marriage to being a hag without anyone noticing.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Grace is trying really hard to win that GLAAD award.
    He's certainly ticking off the How to be Gay Checklist. Every page is like an homage to the height of 'popular to the point of cliche' Gaydom.

Who the heck is Michaela?

Glad I'm not the only one.

OK :-)

No, i'm with you there it's just i'm already seeing the same mistakes now it had in the previous Solo. DID WE NOT LEARN??? I like this Bishop team up pretty cool, this book has so much potential I just hope it doesn't flop like last time.
    Based on the preview, no...but guess we'll have to wait and see. I agree, this book and this character have so much potential...

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Right!? I'd like to know this as well.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    A student from the original volume. I forget what her powers are.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I always enjoy Bishop team-ups. They're one of my favorite X-things. He's an excellent straight man for most characters (no pun intended, given the overall gayness of this book).

I also liked what Sina Grace did with the book before, so I'll give this a chance for a couple of issues.

I will say that I agree with the critiques that it is trying just a little too hard to reference every single thing in queer culture. That Beyonce reference fell very very flat for me. I groaned at it. I'd rather sit through little Kenya Michael's Beyonce again: