Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Meh. Hate to be that guy, but Ock as Spider-Man is a concept that has already been done and that has had its run. Even with a good writer like Gage, it won't be NEARLY as fun or exciting now that Peter has his own body back. Don't see this "ongoing" lasting very long, but I could be wrong...
    I'm actually eager to see how Peter will react to this.

I mean, he acted like things were straight between him and Otto last time they met (which I found out-of-character, but what can you do), but I don't think Peter would ever accept him using the Spider-Man name again. Especially Spencer's Peter, who seems pretty comfortable acknowledging how much Otto screwed his life up.

Granted, moving to San Francisco also probably means we won't see Peter bothering with Otto in this book at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Agreed. That was cool. Maybe at the end of the series when we all know the inevitable happens and he returns to being superior Otto again, he will don that suit again.
    Or we just get plain ol' Doc Ock back .
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    He doesn't see himself as just a knock-off of Spider-Man. He sees himself as the definitive article, the superior model.
    Which is kind of amusing given he's still running around in Peter Parker's body more or less .

Astonishing Member

Love SSM so happy with this news. I do wish it was Christopher Yost writing.

I'm sure this will be good even though Slott won't be writing it, I really enjoyed Superior Spider-Man and haven't been on such an emotional roller coaster via comic book since the 90's Clone Saga.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

I may have to pick this up as a monthly. I thought the concept of Ock taking over as Spidey was a brilliant way to reinvigorate the character, as he'd never been much of a threat since I started reading back in 1994; I knew he was a top-tier Spidey villain, yet never read new stories that really pushed him as such.

One other reason I'm excited for this is the world-building: for example, I will be stoked if Shroud - ostensibly a good guy who does bad things for good reasons - ends up being a major antagonist for Ock, a bad guy who does good things for bad reasons. That right there is the beauty of the character as he currently stands, for me: the ability of writers to play with morality and challenge our views and assumptions about what makes someone good or bad.

Should be a fun time.

-Pav, who hopes we also see Dr. Demonicus and some giant robots...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I may have to pick this up as a monthly. I thought the concept of Ock taking over as Spidey was a brilliant way to reinvigorate the character, as he'd never been much of a threat since I started reading back in 1994; I knew he was a top-tier Spidey villain, yet never read new stories that really pushed him as such.
    You do know he was dead around that period right?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The story that killed off Kraven pushed him as a top-tier villain.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The story that killed off Kraven pushed him as a top-tier villain.
    And the story that killed off Otto pegged him as a potential frenemy

And the story that killed off Otto pegged him as a potential frenemy
    Uh, yeah?

Like I said, I'm glad we've been getting stories that illustrate why he's one of the best Spidey villains -- as opposed to going years with nothing...

due to death.

Even after his first rebirth, we didn't really get the kind of Ock-as-Master Planner stories the character should be a part of until Slott came around, in my opinion.

-Pav, who did like White Suit Otto...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Spectacular Member

Ock should just kill Myles and take his identity then sabotage Peter's heroic deeds and make himself the hero!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Does anyone really think that we won't get a new Miles ongoing in December?

I know it sucks having to wait for an announcement but it's a given that one is coming.
    I don’t think anyone’s not expecting them to give us an announcement, just they seem to be taking their time with him despite him being such a major character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I don’t think anyone’s not expecting them to give us an announcement, just they seem to be taking their time with him despite him being such a major character.
    I think they just want to make the biggest splash possible by having a new #1 in time for Into the Spider-Verse.

Finally finished the entire run of Superior Spider-Man and no......just .....no.

I wasn't a fan of the writing at all, a lot of the dialogue felt very unnatural. It felt like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon, I don't remember him writing like that during the Gauntlet/Mr.Negative era....what happened? A whole bunch of plots jumbled into one issue, and you jump from one plot to the next without any breathing room. Whole thing was a mess, I found Doc Ock to be more and more annoying as the series went on. And that final reveal of Green Goblin was just awful.

I'll still check this out though, because I'm curious where they're actually going to go with this character.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 09-08-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Finally finished the entire run of Superior Spider-Man and no......just .....no.

I wasn't a fan of the writing at all, a lot of the dialogue felt very unnatural. It felt like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon, I don't remember him writing like that during the Gauntlet/Mr.Negative era....what happened? A whole bunch of plots jumbled into one issue, and you jump from one plot to the next without any breathing room. Whole thing was a mess, I found Doc Ock to be more and more annoying as the series went on. And that final reveal of Green Goblin was just awful.

I'll still check this out though, because I'm curious where they're actually going to go with this character.
    Wow. Surprised you didn't like it, but everyone has different tastes. Just curious, are you a fan of Otto?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

So on board for this!

I always thought the biggest flaw with the original Superior Spider-Man was that it never really made any sense why nobody realized that Peter/Spider-Man weren't actually themselves. Ock wasn't really subtle with his actions and behaviour. But overall it didn't diminish from everything else I enjoyed about the series.

But now that that dilemma won't be a problem anymore, I think it could be very intriguing to see how Ock acts as a hero on his own without having to pretend to be someone else. How does he handle his double life as Elliot Tolliver. And most excited to see what Anna Marie does during all of this.