Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    DD is the only show i watched passed season 1. I'm surprised none of the others have been canceled, did IF really get that many less views than the others?
    Not really sure.

That said, a lot of this show being able to prosper seems like it hinged on the possibility that the general public would tolerate the show taking it's own sweet time getting to "The Immortal Iron Fist"(which is where it seemed to be heading).

While you might have a portion of the "Comics" crowd that would be forgiving on that front, I'm not all that shocked that Joe/Jane Public didn't really stick around for it.

Iron Fist deserves a season 3. I suspect the characters will continue into the other netflix shows as guest stars. I'm curious to see Colleen continue with the iron fist power, also Danny as he has regained some form of the Fist-- to use guns, anyway (with non-lethal intent, presumably). The disney streaming service is an obvious outlet, but there should be others even traditional cable.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    DD is the only show i watched passed season 1. I'm surprised none of the others have been canceled, did IF really get that many less views than the others?
    Iron Fist is the only show that didn't get a well received first season. I don't see Jessica Jones surviving past season 3 knowing how crappy the second one was.

Spectacular Member

This all falls on Scott Buck and Finn Jones shoulders. Iron Fist never recovered from the lousy first season overseen by Buck and Jones is just a crappy actor. The only two outright critical failures Marvel has had since they started making their own shows were Inhuman's and Iron Fist both had Scott Buck as the common ingredient.

It wouldn't be that shocking if they were at least consjdering consolidating a few shows.

Heroes for Hire as an obvious option. Down the line Luke and Jessica getting together for a single show has potrntial too.

Feel bad Iron Fist got the ax though. I thought it did improve.

Amazing Member

Why are people surprised about this move? This has zero to do with the quality of the show and more to do with Disney vs Netflix. Is it a coincidence we aren't getting a 2nd season of The Defenders and now this? Does it seem weird that they are RUSHING out seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Netflix sees the writing on the way. Their deal with Marvel is basically over. Even in the press release they say Iron Fist could return on a different platform...Hmmm Disney Play and Hulu are different platforms....

If Luke Cage doesn't get renewed the deal is dead IMO.

It's a bummer as season 2 was so much better than season 1. I fell in love with Season 2's take and really excited for a season 3 as that cliffhanger was so good.

Iron fist as a solo show was a 50/50 shot anyway. He's a good character but never really stood out from the pack on his own. He's Marvel's green arrow- a good character with potential but best used in ensembles as he's stuck in someone else's shadow.

Batman for Green Arrow and Daredevil for Iron Fist.

Iron fist has the cooler powers/mythos but Green Arrow has the better personality which means more than you think.

Season 1's biggest screwup was they fumbled the ball pretty bad with Danny. Some saw him as unlikable but i just saw him as flimsy and confusing from a character standpoint.

this would have been a better take on Danny's season 1 motivations.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by khrisdrummond View Post
    Why are people surprised about this move? This has zero to do with the quality of the show and more to do with Disney vs Netflix. Is it a coincidence we aren't getting a 2nd season of The Defenders and now this? Does it seem weird that they are RUSHING out seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Netflix sees the writing on the way. Their deal with Marvel is basically over. Even in the press release they say Iron Fist could return on a different platform...Hmmm Disney Play and Hulu are different platforms....

If Luke Cage doesn't get renewed the deal is dead IMO.
    It doesn't have to do with any of that since Netflix ordered a third season for Jessica Jones and that was the first of the Marvel shows to release this year. They also renewed Punisher for a second season. Everything points to the poor reception of Iron Fist first season killing any chance of the show's continued success.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    This all falls on Scott Buck and Finn Jones shoulders. Iron Fist never recovered from the lousy first season overseen by Buck and Jones is just a crappy actor. The only two outright critical failures Marvel has had since they started making their own shows were Inhuman's and Iron Fist both had Scott Buck as the common ingredient.
    I thought Finn was fine, they just rushed production and never gave Danny a decent motivation.

I mean, he basically deserted the place that gave him superpowers and a home to piss around New York. He face planted into The Hand and even in season two struggled to explain why he was doing what he was doing.

Why is it so hard for stinkin' writers to understand that superheroes need internal conflict/motivation, just like every other character in fiction?

Sad to see this go. Really liked season one but it suffered towards the end because basically the show runner left the project. For me season two was not great. It took forever to get going and when it did it felt like it stopped prematurely. In better hands this show had promise but I am not convinced they quite knew how to juggle it. The difficulty of making a martial arts TV show is not fully appreciated by the critics and many viewers. Action scenes need to be handed out to multiple actors to allow preparation and recovery times. Felt like the show was suffering a little because of this. It is impossible for one actor to carry the whole show and fight every week and yet many reviewers seemed to expect it.

Hopefully he will turn up on other shows where appropriate but I don’t think it will be possible to spin a new show out of it because Disney seem to have stopped new licenses from being signed. The Netflix shows will stay on netflix and they can keep going but we won’t get a Daughters of the Dragon or Power Man & Iron Fost show because that would require separate deals.

Ultimate Member

I wonder if this was a tactical move on Netflix's part. They have to know that they're not going to get anymore marvel copyrights

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I wonder if this was a tactical move on Netflix's part. They have to know that they're not going to get anymore marvel copyrights
    It’s obvious that Marvel wants to keep using the Iron Fist character in the MCU, however I don’t see that partnership lasting too long. we know after Captain Marvel Netflix won’t get anymore MCU films. Marvel content disappearing from the platform so all they can do is sell the shows back to Marvel.

Now before anyone think Disney won’t I got two words for you. DC Universe they are doing the same thing with Netflix and Hulu. Most DC content is leaving those platforms. Exclusivity is the name of the game nowadays

Isn't it up to Netflix whether they are done with these characters or not?

It seems simple, IF was the weakest link so they deleted his show, but wisely they'll use it's characters to where they see fit. Why do people think the end is near with these shows? That's a genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by khrisdrummond View Post
    It’s obvious that Marvel wants to keep using the Iron Fist character in the MCU, however I don’t see that partnership lasting too long. we know after Captain Marvel Netflix won’t get anymore MCU films. Marvel content disappearing from the platform so all they can do is sell the shows back to Marvel.

Now before anyone think Disney won’t I got two words for you. DC Universe they are doing the same thing with Netflix and Hulu. Most DC content is leaving those platforms. Exclusivity is the name of the game nowadays
    You are slightly mischaracterising the deal. Netflix don’t have to sell anything back to Disney. That isn’t how licences work. Netflix can continue to make these shows until their deal expires and none of us know when that is. From the way Netflix show runners talk about them it seems Netflix have the rights for some time yet. We could see Daredevil season five on Netflix for example.

Because these are Netflix productions they will remain on Netflix for years after the licence to make them expires, as back catalogue material.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-14-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Isn't it up to Netflix whether they are done with these characters or not?

It seems simple, IF was the weakest link so they deleted his show, but wisely they'll use it's characters to where they see fit. Why do people think the end is near with these shows? That's a genuine question.
    Because people don’t understand licensing deals. In the Venom thread for example I am trying to explain that the media and almost all of the fans don’t understand the Sony deal and here people don’t understand the Netflix deal. The press don’t really investigate the deals and rely on fans to explain things, and fans don’t really know. The deals are not public.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-14-2018 at 04:17 AM.