Mighty Member

Default old time dinosaur movies

Do they bug you? Do you hate that they are scientifically inaccurate? Do you scream bloody murder when they show cavemen and dinos together?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Do they bug you? Do you hate that they are scientifically inaccurate? Do you scream bloody murder when they show cavemen and dinos together?
    Naw. It's classic schlock. I would have to hate my childhood to hate them. No! Wait!

Some of them, having grown up in an era when they were all like that, I fondly remember stuff like "Night of the Iguana" or "One Million, BC" Then there was the television series, "It's About Time", by the guy who gave us Gilligan's Island BEFORE he did Gilligan's Island.

But, given all this stuff, you can imagine what a joy and wonder it was when something like "Quest for Fire" came out or even the movie version of "Clan of the Cave Bear", though it didn't compare to the book.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Yep, I grew up with them too...I remember watching Hammer's One Million on tv in 1969 (?). Raquel upstaged everyone! Dino fight footage from the 1940 film was used in zillions of b pictupictures, including the oddbal Two Lost Worlds starring pre Gunsmoke James Arness. Unfortunately, real animals were harmed. Willis OO'Brien's Ghost of Slumber Mou tain appeared in It's About Time.

Can always watch anything by Harryhausen.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

What dinosaur movie isn't scientifically inaccurate in one way or another?

Not at all, really. The effects pioneered in older films were the building blocks for portraying more accurate dinosaurs later on. There's a bit of a direct line from Ray Harryhausen to Phil Tippet to Dennis Murren in terms of Dino FX.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

That would be similar to not liking old Detective/Police serials or films cause they don't portray CSI work or some such in a scientifically accurate mode.
    If you can't compartmentalize present day with an understanding of the past, in any field or era, then you're going to find few things to really enjoy.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    That would be similar to not liking old Detective/Police serials or films cause they don't portray CSI work or some such in a scientifically accurate mode.
    If you can't compartmentalize present day with an understanding of the past, in any field or era, then you're going to find few things to really enjoy.
    Or cops with dinosaurs

images.jpeg-4.jpg

It's kind of interesting, some of the old Dinosaur art of Charles R. Knight-while some stuck to the "orthodox" view of Dinosaurs at the time, other examples of his work show energetic dinosaurs (Laelops) and the famous T-rex vs. Triceratops painting has the T-rex in a mostly correct pose, although the one hanging out in the background doesn't....he sort of was ahead of his time on some things.

Here's a cool website that looks at Dinosaur art and how it's changed over the years.

Link to Knight article:https://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/201...-r-knight.html

Current blog: http://chasmosaurs.com/

Also the Jurassic World Dominion prologue, although cut from the final film, is fairly accurate in many ways but shows an Oviraptor eating eggs (Although it might have, the "reputation" which gave it that name seems to have largely been disproven-it was brooding over it's own nest).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-06-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Mighty Member

I have to admit my ffavorite old time dino is the "suitimation" T-Rex from The Land Unknown (1957).

Anybody ever watch the old Christopher Reeve Dinosaur documentary? Covers a lot of stuff (Including Dino-related cryptozoology) but one of it's highlights are the animated segments from Phil Tippett (which include excerpts from his earlier "Prehistoric Beast" film). He won an emmy for the effects, and I'm sure that's part of the reason why he was hired for Jurassic Park which originally was going to feature Go-motion effects along with the animatronics. Alan Grant's "We're out of a job" seems to be based on his reaction to seeing the CG and the production using that instead (Phil still worked as a consultant for the film).

Tippet was with ILM from the first Star Wars. He was always the go to guy there for stop motion and puppets.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!