Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Well you still have the two hotties who recently joined the cast. And I really did not want Enid to die.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I really thought Ezekiel was a goner there for a second. Did not expect Tara and Enid to bite it. I'm really tired of them killing gay characters though. First Jesus and now Tara. That just leaves Aaron. I guess Gay is the new black
    On the other hand, it was decidedly one-sided in that thing you are discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On the other hand, it was decidedly one-sided in that thing you are discussing.
    What is onesided?

I'm talking about them killing off multiple gay characters. We lost Aaron's original boy friend Eric. Then Jesus at the end of the first part of the season and now tara. The bury your gays trope is a serious issue with tv.

I guess they've moved on from killing a black guy every time they added a new black guy to the group but this isn't much better.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

So what say you guys, who should be the one to get the ultimate vengeance on Alpha? Carol? Or...Maggie, in a triumphant return of her own?

comic info:
    spoilers:
    I'm thinking they deviate and Negan doesn't do the deed in the show
    end of spoilers

But seriously, its time to release Negan on these f*cks. The prime time for him to break free though will be if Judith is threatened by them. When that happens its going to be a bunch of Whisperers' asses.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

What is onesided?

I'm talking about them killing off multiple gay characters. We lost Aaron's original boy friend Eric. Then Jesus at the end of the first part of the season and now tara. The bury your gays trope is a serious issue with tv.

I guess they've moved on from killing a black guy every time they added a new black guy to the group but this isn't much better.
    spoilers:
    The number of "Straight" versus "LGBT" heads marking that border at the end.
    end of spoilers

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

The people that was posting spoilers In the hashtag of the show on Twitter are assholes. I was lucky to avoid most of them, but Why do people do this?

Anyway

It was nice to actually see the Whispers hoard. I wasn't sure if we were going to see it. The ending was foreshadowed at the end of last season but only a handful of people actually caught it. I mean nobody in the last thread talked about it. I know not everyone read the comic, but I was surprised by that.

BANNED

Damn, Carol is going to wreck, humilliate and kill Alpha in the most painful way imaginable.
    The deaths were meh tbh, the only one that hurt was Tara, I always liked her.

One quick thing...

Even if you were familiar enough with the "Comics'..." end to have a good idea how that would play out, the execution was incredibly solid.

Hopefully, the run they are on doesn't falter at the end of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    spoilers:
    The number of "Straight" versus "LGBT" heads marking that border at the end.
    end of spoilers
    From an equity standpoint, and something Kirkman himself acknowledged in his own comic book writing, if you kill 1 gay character and there's only 2 of them, you kill half of that population. If you kill 5 straight people in a book of a hundred straight people, you barely make a dent, especially when those characters are replaced with more straight people.

True Blood did this with Asian people, too -- the only Asian character (supporting, main, or otherwise) was killed off, meaning 100% of their Asian representation was wiped out. It's a show full of death and brutal murder, sure, but that's a huge blow in one fell swoop, with all those eggs in one basket.

Numbers count, but so does proportion. Such a focus on that kill rate highlights disparity in the writing. It happens so often that it has its own trope and a even outside shows like this (like straightforward dramas), being gay is usually a death sentence. Even Star Trek writes while acknowledging the existence of the trope.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-24-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    From an equity standpoint, and something Kirkman himself acknowledged in his own comic book writing, if you kill 1 gay character and there's only 2 of them, you kill half of that population. If you kill 5 straight people in a book of a hundred straight people, you barely make a dent, especially when those characters are replaced with more straight people.

True Blood did this with Asian people, too -- the only Asian character (supporting, main, or otherwise) was killed off, meaning 100% of their Asian representation was wiped out. It's a show full of death and brutal murder, sure, but that's a huge blow in one fell swoop, with all those eggs in one basket.

Numbers count, but so does proportion. Such a focus on that kill rate highlights disparity in the writing. It happens so often that it has its own trope and a even outside shows like this (like straightforward dramas), being gay is usually a death sentence. Even Star Trek writes while acknowledging the existence of the trope.
    I have talk a lot about this in the past, You can't ding a show to hard like Walking Dead or True Blood for this,The comic example is X-men you can get mad at how minority are treated but X-men is one of few books that actual has solid base and consistently put minorities in key positions. Because we see so little representation elsewhere when Walking Dead and other things when they are just doing normal stuff with minorities characters it is more impactful. Death is normal part of these shows we know characters are going die minority or white. We have still have to call it out but back to my X-men example but the X-men has multiple bi, Lesibans, gay male,asians ,black characters,etc and keep adding them. Where something like Avengers has Living Lighting as the only gay male I can think of it. And Justice League are they any LGBTQ characters. Yeah Walking Dead has kill a lot of minorities but it make an effort to have them on the show. How much effort should we put in calling out show that actively has minorities as key characters versus shows that don't even try?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

What is onesided?

Each death made sense in the grand scheme and how they crossed Alpha and Lydia. Sorry if it offended you but honestly Tara lasted longer than I'm sure folks imagined she would. She lasted 5 seasons on the show and was a newly created character. Here is the run down.

- Tara : Crossed Alpha's path at Hilltop and acted as leader. Hence she had to die on the pike.

- Enid : The doctor teaching 1st aid training and Alpha saw her as a valuable member. Enid could have been spared and Siddiq die but Alpha made the choice to spare him as we saw.

- The Highwaymen : Encountered Whisperers and paid the price.

- Henry : Paid the price for saving Lydia as we saw.

- Rodney & Adeline : Both knew Henry , Rodney teased Lydia and paid that price.

In all these deaths were folks who crossed Alpha's path more or less. Each death was meant to happen. Tara had a good run but this again reminds me of the whole anger people accused the show years earlier of killing black characters. Its a show about death and dying ....of course they will die like so will others.

EDIT TO ADD : Also originally Tara was supposed to die after 3 episodes. So yeah...she had a heck of a run.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 03-24-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

I don't entirely disagree there.

Just saying that I think that the show at least makes an attempt at being even handed.

I'm not sure if FTWD will do a time jump or take place before the time jump, but I'm kind of curious what Morgan's reaction will be to Henry's death if word reaches him-after all, the death of Benjamin caused Morgan's psychosis to return. (I don't think he'll take the Rick news too well either).

Also I'm pretty sure Maggie was good friends with Enid, Jesus and Tara so it'll be interesting to see her reaction if she comes back, and of course Frankie was one of Negan's "wives" but I'm pretty sure they'll follow up on that.

Also Hilltop of course might need her after what's happened (and there were rumors about Maggie returning next season).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-25-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Frankie being one of Negan's wives I doubt will affect him too much. I mean, a conscience has returned to him so its not something that would make him smile or anything like that but he had no real connection to any of those women. He just used them. His trigger will be Judith. I see him continuing to respect his imprisonment until something threatens her. If she's in trouble in the Whisperer War, and its only a matter of time before she is, he'll find a way out then and do some Whisperer hunting.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I wonder what happened to the other wives? Sherry of course went somewhere (and might show up in "Fear" with Dwight?) but Tanya was probably the most prominent outside of her and Frankie. She briefly appeared in the season premiere but hasn't been seen since.

Although we've seen a few Saviors join the good guys (Laura and Alden being the main examples) of course there were those who didn't (Jed's group) and it's still a bit of a mystery exactly what happened to sanctuary, although at the beginning of the season it looks like it was having crop problems and Jed's uprising probably didn't help things....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth