Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Music ...What If's ?

Back in the mid 2000's , Chris Claremont was writing the Exiles series at Marvel. In a nice set of panels he had the female Nightcrawler bring up that on her planet in the multiverse the Beatles stayed together for years and instead of the classic Beatles #1 CD that had 27 #1 hits , there was actually 40 , hits as the band stayed together for years after it.

In this thread I'll post interesting "What If ?" stories about bands or singers and like THE WATCHER .....I observe things. Never to get involved. Yes folks in this 1st classic Music What If ....I examine...

What If the Beatles Never Broke Up ?

September 1969 - John Lennon and Paul McCartney had been slowly clashing through the last few months and issues with "Get Back" and "Abby Road" had led Lennon to announce his departure in 1969. Lennon was talked out of announcing it to public and the final albums work continued.

December 1969 - Where as time had moved on and McCartney and Lennon hadn't spoken in months , that Christmas both men ended up speaking to each other. McCartney and Lennon decided to meet alone and discuss the band and direction knowing they needed to speak to clear the air.

January 1970 - In a private meeting with their wives present , both men discussed various issues that had grew between them. A compromise was reached where Allen Klein would be removed and that they would hire a new manager . It would not be McCartney's brother-in-law but Klein would be removed due to his issues where he gave Abby Road's tapes to Spector without his input. The two men also want to tour again and not have pressure to create an album. They wanna perform in front of a crowd again.

Lennon requested McCartney ring up EPIC Records to see if the 3 album deal was still on the table with that condition. Which the label quickly agreed on. Ringo Starr eagerly jumped back in but George Harrison was slow to agreeing later . Harrison had grew tired of his contributions not getting on albums.

To compromise with Harrison ; Lennon & McCartney both agree that the next album the Beatles will do will be a double album with Harrison's songs getting equal work. Harrison agrees to this.

February 1970 - All 4 men sign with EPIC Records as the deal is considered one of the best in the business. The new manager also helps them lock in key points where they own their master tapes and will work on getting their early recordings back down the line. At the press conference Lennon claims the next album will happen at some point but the band want to tour world wide 1st after years of not performing. The group will tour through the year and perform songs off the albums.

The tour will have them bring their families on it as a behind the scenes documentary is filmed along the way "A Day in the Life : The Beatles Tour 1970-1971".

May 1970-1971 : The tour hits almost every major country except Russia. The Beatles had put a request in to play but the country still under the midst of Communism refuses. In an interview Lennon jokes one day they will play Russia and bring the music to people. That freedom and music can't be stopped.

Along the tour all 3 men start preparing songs for the next album and doing some recording. EPIC is wary of doing a double album but the Beatles are considered the biggest band in the world and get approval.

June 1971 : A month after the world wide tour ends , the band reveals the next album will feature 24 songs and have more input from Harrison involved. McCartney brings up that Harrison , him and Lennon actually wrote a few songs together for the 1st time and it was lovely to do. The album has a blue sky and beautiful ocean with "The Beatles" on the corner. People start calling this the "The Sky & Ocean" album.

August 1971 : The 1st single off the album ..."Baby I'm Amazed" by Lennon/McCartney lands with a huge hit. Unlike our Earth's version , Lennon introduces a nice orchestra piece intro into it with piano and Harrison adds a few more strings to it. The track listing for the album.

1- Baby I'm Amazed
    2 - Back Seat of My Car
    3 - This is Life *
    4 - Ocean medley *
    5 - Power to the People (in this version , Lennon and & Harrison do vocals)
    6 - Working Class Hero
    7 - Gimmie Some Truth
    8 - Jealous Guy
    9 - My Sweet Lord
    10 - Isn't It a Pity (with Clapton involved)
    11 - Beware of Darkness
    12 - All Things Must Pass
    13 - This Material World *
    14 - In the Ghetto (Elvis cover by McCartney)
    15 - I Wouldn't Have You Any Other Way (while not wrote by the Beatles , Ringo was a big country fan who brought this in)
    16 - Sunday Morning Sidewalks (A cover of a cover by Lennon who liked Cash's version)
    17 - Growing Older , Wiser *
    18 - Taking It One Day at a Time *
    19 - Long & Winding Road (Re-recorded by McCartney like he wanted)
    20 - My Sweet Love *
    21 - Sky medley *
    22 - Peace * (part 1)
    23 - Love * (part 2)
    24 - Joy * (part 3)

The album quickly hits #1 and sells 10 million copies within a year. The album generates 7 #1 songs and a few others hit the top 20. Critics bring up that the album seems to be a more grown up Beatles adjusting to life now and "Growing Older , Wiser" by Lennon & McCartney seems to hint at both working through issues.

1972 - The group announces they will tour in 1973 after taking time off with family.

1973-1975 - The Beatles go on their biggest tour yet as a group with them touring the next 2+ years in support of the "Sky & Ocean" album. Frictions however start to way again in the band as Harrison still wants more input on band . Both Lennon & McCartney try and keep the peace and insist where he helped write and do more on last album. But this friction continues to build through the tour.

Lennon also is growing tired and tells McCartney he wants to sit at home awhile and relax after the tour without a new album pushing them. Paul agrees and that they will take off much of 1975 for that. EPIC is willing to wait on another album awhile as well knowing the last one sold so well and again its the biggest band on Earth.

April 1975 - In news that stuns both John and Paul , George Harrison announces to the press he is leaving the Beatles after 17 years. Harrison brings up that he just wants to do his own thing and that he wants to move on. Both men feel Harrison blind sided them by not telling them.

Lennon suggests they bring in Eric Clapton who had done guest spots on the last few albums and was a friend of George Harrison. McCartney is worried about things like how Clapton is with Harrison's ex-wife Pattie Boyd and his issues with heroin. In a closed door meeting Harrison tells his former band mates to hire Clapton and he's fine with them being a couple . Clapton also has kicked heroin and is eager to rebound career wise.

Both are intrigued at what Clapton can add to Beatles as he is an accomplished guitarist. So they make the move.

May 1975 - McCartney and Lennon hold a press conference announcing that Eric Clapton has joined. Lennon raves about the blues aspect of Clapton and what he can do for the bands sound moving forward. That they will start recording an album.

end of part #1
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

January 1976 - The new Beatles album "Spirit of 76 !" Is announced and will have 14 songs. Clapton co-writes a couple with Lennon & McCartney as well. The album has a fold out poster of the guys in a recording studio. The track listing . One of the 1st hit tracks is "Imagine" that Lennon had been holding back awhile. A beautiful piano song , Lennon would later add a slight blues guitar touch at times by Clapton to the final release. Its a rare time only 2 Beatles would play on it.

- Spirit of the 76 *
    - Carnival
    - Hello Old Friend
    - Imagine
    - Mind Games
    - Whatever Gets You Through the Night
    - Its Almost Over *
    - Stand by Me (Lennon cover)
    - #9 Dream
    - My Love
    - Band on the Run
    - Photograph
    - Together Again*
    - The Spirit is Gone*

Later McCartney admits that Lennon wasn't a big fan at 1st of Band on the Run (which became the albums top hit) but as Paul tells him , the band keeps on running and stays a Band on the Run. Lennon convinces them to let him do a cover of Stand By Me as he thought of doing a solo album of old rock songs but decided to hold it off.

The album while not as big a hit as the Sky & Oceans album sells 7+ million copies the 1st year and EPIC is happy. The album overall charts 6 more #1 songs as Lennon's cover of "Stand By Me" is one of them. Photograph was written by Harrison who told Starr to use it on the next Beatles album for him to sing.

1976-1977 : The Beatles tour the album and start working on the next one to do. Lennon however wants to spend time with his new son and brings up how he never spent time with Julian before which he regrets . So he wants to spend time with both boys . McCartney as well is having a family and brings up that between tours and recording he too wants to pause awhile. Clapton agrees to a 1 year break as he is having issues with a drinking problem. All 3 men urge Clapton to seek treatment to get it taken care of while on break.

1978-1979 - Called the year off the guys all take a year off to devote to family and other issues. Lennon jokingly called it the longest vacation they ever had as it stretched from early 1978 til the middle of 1979. This gives Starr time to do a movie and Clapton to write and kick his alcohol issues. Fans begin to wonder if the band is done.

On a spot on Saturday Night Live , McCartney appears as musical guest alone which he puts fears to rest as he performs a couple songs during the show. At the end of the final song he brings up the band isn't done and will be back soon.

The band reunite and start work on the next album.

- December 1979 - Unlike the last album that took months , George Martin recalls that each band member had brought in a number of songs to do. That they had clearly spent time writing and to reward fans for patience they pledge this too will be a double album of 24 songs. The album is entitled "Beatles 1980" . With all 4 posing by a painted Beatles name on building.

- Time for the Dawn *
    - Jet
    - Bluebird
    - 1980 *
    - Junior's Farm
    - Listen to What the Man Said
    - Rockestra Theme
    - Let Em In
    - With a Little Luck
    - Wonderful Christmas Time
    - Going Down on Love
    - Nobody Loves You When Your Down & Out .
    - Cocaine
    - Lay Down Sally
    - Wonderful Tonight
    - This Ole World *
    - I'm Pretty Down *
    - Promises
    - Let Me Roll It
    - It Don't Come Easy
    - Light It Up *
    - I Still Love You
    - Resting Don't Come Easy*
    - 1980 medley ending *

This album creates controversy as half the songs seem to reference past drug use and more. Clapton admits a few songs detailed his issues with problems as did McCartney & Lennon. This album unlike the previous ones is carried mostly by Clapton who wrote the strongest material. His singles "Cocaine" , "Lay Down Sally" , "Light it Up" and "Resting Don't Come Easy" become the biggest singles off the album.

In a funny spot Lennon admits he did not want "Wonderful Christmastime" on the album as it was a special song McCartney and his wife did with friends the past year. But the album was nearing completion and to make the release date to start 1980 it was placed on the album. Beyond this , the album marks the 1st 1980's work and sells 12 million copies the 1st year. Its also the final album for EPIC records.

EPIC feels they can sign The Beatles back as offers from Warner Brothers , Columbia and others are expected to start a bidding war for the bands services.

END OF 1970'S of the Beatles . What do the 1980's hold ahead ? We will see....
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.