Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

The best modern look, IMO. I liked that Larsen's Ock is close in art style with Ditko's era.

Last edited by Master Planner; 09-11-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Mighty Member

Where would we be in this thread without showing Ock's small screen (and one big screen) showing throughout the years?

Who will be his primary antagonist in the new series?

A little hint about how good Otto can handle himself against a Goblin foe.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Back in early 80s, Ock had made lots of guest appearence as a villain.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profi...pider-m/78539/

There was actually one comic from that time period where the MANDARIN fought the Xmen. that was great.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    There was actually one comic from that time period where the MANDARIN fought the Xmen. that was great.
    The famous Acts Of Vengeance,an event which allowed Marvel writers to pair villains and heroes from different titles against each other(X-Men vs Mandarin, Thor vs Juggernaut, Spider-Man vs Magneto, Loki vs Apocalypse etc).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'll never forget the FF issue where Reed goes to Otto for help with Sue's delivery of Valeria, and Otto is out of his mind and Reed practicality has to drag him to the hospital. When they finally arrive, it's too late, Sue miscarried.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

I have to say that I thought it was absolutely hilarious that this week's big moment in Batman #55 relies on an aspect of the Bat-mythos that Superior Spider-Man mocked years ago - namely, that it's the height of stupidity for Batman to be meeting Commissar Gordon on an open rooftop night after night with a big spotlight alerting every criminal in town where he's going to be. It's like making an open invitation for anyone to take a shot at him, something that SpOck immediately pointed out to JJJ when he tried to contact him with his own "Spider-Signal."

spidersignal.jpg

Not to get too spoilerific, but the new Spider-Man game made the best Doc Ock outside of comics, even rivaling Weisman's version in Spectacular Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I have to say that I thought it was absolutely hilarious that this week's big moment in Batman #55 relies on an aspect of the Bat-mythos that Superior Spider-Man mocked years ago - namely, that it's the height of stupidity for Batman to be meeting Commissar Gordon on an open rooftop night after night with a big spotlight alerting every criminal in town where he's going to be. It's like making an open invitation for anyone to take a shot at him, something that SpOck immediately pointed out to JJJ when he tried to contact him with his own "Spider-Signal."

]
    I love his verbal sparring with Jonah. Superior Spider-man was such a smart***.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 09-21-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Not to get too spoilerific, but the new Spider-Man game made the best Doc Ock outside of comics, even rivaling Weisman's version in Spectacular Spider-Man.
    My son has this game and I asked him if Otto was in his Superior costume and he said no. I haven't had a chance to watch him play it yet.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Romita Sr Doc Ock,emulating Ditko's similar pose.While the classic green jumbsuit was introduced during the final issues of Ditko's run as artist,it was Romita's style that cemented how many comic book reader think of Ock visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

spidersignal.jpg
    I didn't know Gordon was a commie .

(Although it would totally be in-character for Batman to dare criminals to come after him. It's even how they've justified the yellow oval's at some point, as a "target").

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    (Although it would totally be in-character for Batman to dare criminals to come after him. It's even how they've justified the yellow oval's at some point, as a "target").
    It's one thing to put a target on your chest when you're jumping into a room full of thugs aiming to shoot you. That was Miller's way of retro-explaining the silly, if much-loved, yellow oval.

But it really is dumb to have Batman still meeting Gordon on the rooftop. If Batman doesn't care who might think to take shots at him, he should certainly care that Gordon is always right next to him in the line of fire, not to mention any partners he might be with at the time. It's not brave or smart to willingly put other people in danger.

Meeting Gordon on the rooftop next to the Bat-signal is an aspect of the Bat-mythos that hearkens from an earlier, more innocent time. Nothing wrong with it back in the day but SSM pointed out the obvious flaws it presents in a modern, more vicious and dangerous world very succinctly and did it years ago.

To have it be used as a serious plot point in a modern Batman comic seems dopey to me but typical of modern DC. They want to keep the hokey trappings of days gone by but yet also try to over layer them with gritty "realism" and it just comes off as silly. If the world these characters occupy is so dangerous, they wouldn't have to wait until someone takes a shot at someone standing on an open rooftop to figure out - "hey, this is actually strategically stupid to be standing out here night after night. We're just begging someone to take a headshot."

They would have seen this coming and moved their conversations inside long before now. Or, in a modern age, Gordon would just be texting Batman.

But hey, this is a SpOck page, not a Batman page. But as soon as I saw that page in Batman #55, I immediately thought of that SSM scene and chuckled.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 09-23-2018 at 05:17 AM.