Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Well then I stand corrected, I forgot all about those details.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It does seem the Watchmojo staff have ideas they hate (see OMD) and that they enjoy constantly complaining about.
    And bashing too for that matter. Also, the "different points in Superman's life" type of comic (showcasing his single life, dating activities with Wonder Woman and marriage to Lois Lane in the same issue or one at a time in each issue) route wouldn't be a bad thing to approach on.

Astonishing Member

Things were deteriorating between L&C leading up to Truth imo and Truth pushed them off the cliff. Truth made me resent Clark's attitude. Like I said I have no problem with them not being in a relationship but that was horrible, after what had happened with Parasite, I was more that ready for it to end. Written better, sure I could have stuck it out through more development but it was clear that nobody truly cared about any of these characters, including this version of Clark/Superman and I got tired wading through horrible characterisations of two of my favorite comic pairings. There's plenty of missed opportunities in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    All that is absolutely true. When played like it should, frankly it shouldn't matter whom Clark decides to pursue a relationship with. Not being able to "be Clark" would be completely irrelevant if they played it as it is and that there is no such thing as him not being able to be one or the other. BUt, unfortunately, DC in more recent years has loved to play up the idea that Clark needs an anchor. That he needs "grounding", a term I absolutely loathe. They do this to give extra influence to Lois's role in life (which is cheap and actually under-estimating the nearly century appeal of the Lois Lane character as it suggests she ever needed a bigger influence than she always was, right alongside diminishing Superman's inherent love for his adopted home and its people). And without that grounding he suddenly wil lose a side of himself that simply cannot be lost because it is part of who he is and always was to his core.

I also despise the idea some have that Lois makes Superman the hero he is. WTF. NO. Clark became Superman before he met Lois and thanks to the love and influence by the Kents. I love Lois, she is a great character and she complements and enriches the Clark kent/Superman character and mythos very well. She is big part of his story. She was there in Action Comics #1. She is one big reason why the whole thing worked, IMO. And this is why I accept and support the idea that she should be his main love interest. I think their interaction is very interesting and when written well.

That said, I also enjoy seeing the character from other perspectives and having other meaningful interactions with other characters like Batman, the JL, and also Diana. I think people like the Supes/WW relationship because there is something really cool and sweet about them that way too. I get it. But I also realize they can never be together forever in the main continuity. It does them both kind of a disservice, and it neglects their separate legacies, IMO.

BANNED

(Borrowing this thread mainly to vent since it's probably the most appropriate place for it)

I saw this brought up recently in the S/WW thread, it was suggested that the press or the superhero community in-universe should again be hounding Clark and Diana about their connection with one another and pressure them into exploring their feelings.

Not only is that retreading tired old ground which wasn't very compelling the first time and made everyone in the superhero community look like inconsiderate jerks who couldn't mind their own business, it would just not be appropriate at this stage. And both Clark and Diana would agree. Not only does Diana value and love Steve, but Clark is a family man with a loyal wife and a son. This kind of thing would mess with the family dynamic, and most crucially, mess with Jon's head. There is no room in either of their lives for exploring inappropriate feelings they are in "denial about" (and in actuality, have grown out of)

I'd like to think, if this were pre-flashpoint and Jon existed there, Clark and Diana would finally be mature enough to admit they just had puppy love feelings for each other (as Diana eventually DID admit in Rebirth) and that it was never serious, and to respect one another's boundaries. They cannot have the same relationship as they had before, the dynamics are too different.

I'm so glad we're all past this now, and both have started acting their age, with Clark and Diana having no romantic or home wrecking "flirtatiously platonic" feelings anymore, and we're spared this kind of C-grade soap opera drivel that neither Clark or Diana's titles have any time for anymore.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-16-2018 at 07:30 AM.

I can't say I have any particular desire to see any form of pressure from anywhere outside to address any present-or-not-present feelings. That's silly to me, personally. I wouldn't want that being the catalyst even in a continuity where their relationship as going to be explored. That seems kinda empty to me.

I do however want their platonic relationship embraced again in the main continuity. Just not because their forced to. Just because they're that good of friends.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I do however want their platonic relationship embraced again in the main continuity. Just not because their forced to. Just because they're that good of friends.
    I'd be OK with only if they left the flirting out of it. There was enough nonsense like that when Clark was a newlywed. As I've said numerous times, it'd look much worse now than he has a family.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    (Borrowing this thread mainly to vent since it's probably the most appropriate place for it)

I saw this brought up recently in the S/WW thread, it was suggested that the press or the superhero community in-universe should again be hounding Clark and Diana about their connection with one another and pressure them into exploring their feelings.
    What's the point of twisting someone else's words here?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    What's the point of twisting someone else's worlds here?
    Just offering my interpretation. If I read into it wrong, sorry.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-16-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Just offering my interpretation. If I read into it wrong, sorry.
    There isn't much to interpret in my suggestion. If two people who aren't together are perceived as a couple by the press, that doesn't end up magically "pressuring them into exploring their feelings". They can just end up making a laugh out it.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 09-16-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Well, if Superman has to be with a human lover for all eternity even if it's not Lois, I'd rather it'd be Lana.

AC35c.jpg
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

I'd be OK with only if they left the flirting out of it. There was enough nonsense like that when Clark was a newlywed. As I've said numerous times, it'd look much worse now than he has a family.
    Why? The flirting was the best part of it because it was innocent.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Really the innuendo was in the artwork. And artists always find a way to get their unspoken innuendo in regardless the actual situation, they've been doing it for time immemorial. Editors tend not to go over everything with that fine tooth a comb. Per writing however their platonic relationship was always very playful but not intended to be inappropriate. So I'd be fine with it returning just as it was like the last time we were in this continuity. What if Jon saw it, what if he got other ideas? I don't know and honestly don't care. Just don't make it an issue. She's his dad's friend and that's that.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-16-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Amazing Member

I am against flirting with a married man, .. superman is a hero with character and I hope this continues..This in the 90's was a disservice ..and I don't think a child watching this will think it's beautiful...My cousins ​​ dont liked when their mother's friend was flirting with her father. Betrayal for me is disgusting no matter if it's real life or fiction..a married man flirting is already a betrayal for me
    Last edited by Superfamily; 09-16-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Amazing Member

double post
    Last edited by Superfamily; 09-16-2018 at 02:50 PM.