Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Most of the MCU's cosmic stuff draws from the post-Annihilation versions. So, MCU Adam Warlock will probably be like the version of him that was running with the Guardians after Annihilation 2. A non-quippy, highly powerful, potentially messiahnic character who was freed from his cocoon too early and thus wasn't complete.
    MCU Star-Lord and MCU Gamora are barely like their Annihilation counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Agreed. Cosmic Ra's Al Ghul is much more interesting than stalker-with-a-crush-guy.
    If you think that's everything comics Thanos boils down to, then I don't blame you because it's mostly what all current writers have been focusing on in the comics mainly because the whole Infinity Gauntlet saga had that as part of his motivations and that's the only thing they remember. But comic Thanos has had a few stories than don't involve him trying to impress Death and he does a lot of stuff on his own volition which is why Infinity Gauntlet even happened in the first place and why Death was angry at him in that story.

Not to mention MCU's Thanos' motivation was cribbed from Silver Surfer #35 (1990).

I agree that MCU Thanos is more interesting than the way comic Thanos is being written since 2013. But the way Starlin wrote him? Nah, that guy was intimidating because he was unpredictable. You never knew what he was going to do or how he was going to react and he could be your ally or your enemy depending on what he was scheming. He could destroy the universe or help save it from another villain depending on his mood and his intentions. He could team up with a omnicidal maniac like Annihilus for something as simple as curiosity. It's also the reason why you have stories with the Avengers and other heroes either fighting Thanos or them teaming up with Thanos. Even Death didn't know what Thanos planned especially since gathering the Infinity gems was his idea and she didn't like the fact that he messed up the cosmic order while trying to be her equal (even though Death was fine with the way he was) but then he becomes more powerful than her and it's why in Infinity Gauntlet she's upset with him.

He's also a contradictory mess because he claims to be a hardcore nihilist and yet he loves Death. He also claims to love Death and calls himself her most humble servant but he has done so many things to defy her for his own personal reason. He's arrogant and postures himself as the greatest but he also has a lot of self-loathing. He's also neither completely a hero or a villain, He’s been the good guy as often as he’s been the bad guy so depending the story he can serve as both (either way hero or villain I do prefer it when he's the protagonist).

MCU Thanos is fine, I honestly never thought Starlin Thanos can be adapted into a 2 hour movie even though the MCU did a good job of adapting part of his motivation in the Silver Surfer issues that lead to the Infinity Gauntlet trilogy. Still I never really cared for the idea of a Thanos with a martyr complex and something about him felt off to me.

Also Starlin Thanos no matter how crappy of a dad he was (turning Gamora into a cyborg, almost killing her and raising her to be his assassin) he's still a better father to Gamora than MCU Thanos was to Gamora (even when he was going to destroy the whole universe he couldn't bring himself to kill Gamora and according to his creator SHE is the person he's most loyal to). The way MCU Thanos dared Star-Lord to shoot Gamora in Infinity War was awful and something I don't see Starlin Thanos doing because he didn't like seeing her emotionally distressed. He also wouldn't take in a kid that he didn't care for (which is why Gamora is the only one he claims as his daughter) and when he tortured Nebula (who isn't his daughter in the comics) he at least had the reason that Nebula had insulted him by claiming to be his grandaughter just to scare his former minions into following her, unlike MCU Thanos who just abused Nebula for years because he considered her worthless.

I also really, really, like Thanos' interactions with Adam Warlock and the MCU will most likely never have that.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

I guess my fears have been proven right with GOTG 3. XD
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yup. Teen Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yup. Teen Warlock.
    A very big let down to me.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all