Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default Why i'm dreading the MCU version of Adam Warlock

I don't think Feige and co. understand what makes Adam Warlock appealing. Most MCU heroes are mostly good at two things: quipping and mugging for the screen before quipping some more. It's almost like the villains are antagonists only because the heroes stole the screen time from them.

Jim Starlin's Warlock isn't that. He's a brooding character that deals with religious satire, trippy metaphysical stuff and the line between sanity and insanity.

Ultimate Member

Well, seeing as James Gunn is gone, Adam Warlock might end up being a more serious character.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Well, seeing as James Gunn is gone, Adam Warlock might end up being a more serious character.
    Not if the director of GOTG Volume 3 is that Waititi guy.

How about he never shows up in movies? I mean don't get fan complaints like this quite honestly Adam Warlock is not important marvel character in the grand scheme and the story he is most important in they just did. You are afraid how they will do Adam Warlock I think you have bigger thing to worry about.

Also Gamora isn't really quipping in movies and so he would be fine imo.

Right now I'm not sure how I feel about Adam Warlock being in the MCU.

But I guess I can understand the concern. If the MCU didn't play such a large role on how Marvel Characters are effected and represent across all mediums the concern would almost seem silly. But since it does the stink of a terrible portrayal of a character can last for years at a time. If it ever gets washed off at all.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I admit that a part of me wasn't really looking forward to James Gunn's take on Warlock, so I'm kind of happy we might not get to see that unfold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    How about he never shows up in movies? I mean don't get fan complaints like this quite honestly Adam Warlock is not important marvel character in the grand scheme and the story he is most important in they just did. You are afraid how they will do Adam Warlock I think you have bigger thing to worry about.
    I think, even setting aside the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, Adam is still a fairly major cosmic character.
    Also Gamora isn't really quipping in movies and so he would be fine imo.
    Yeah, but Gamora still barely resembles herself in the movies .

BANNED

There's nothing remotely humorous or comedic about Adam Warlock so Gunn would have been a totally wrong Director to launch Adam into the MCU.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Gamora didn't really quip, she played the straightman to everyone else. Why couldn't Gunn's Adam Warlock fill the same role?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I don't think Feige and co. understand what makes Adam Warlock appealing. Most MCU heroes are mostly good at two things: quipping and mugging for the screen before quipping some more. It's almost like the villains are antagonists only because the heroes stole the screen time from them.

Jim Starlin's Warlock isn't that. He's a brooding character that deals with religious satire, trippy metaphysical stuff and the line between sanity and insanity.
    I agree. I've really grown tired of all the one-liners in Marvel films. Thor: Ragnarok was the worst offender. I like a feel good movie -- but that should come from the good guys overcoming the bad guys -- not from a joke every few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Gamora didn't really quip, she played the straightman to everyone else. Why couldn't Gunn's Adam Warlock fill the same role?
    I mean, even bringing up Gamora is indicative of how much Gunn changed a lot of cosmic/Guardians characters. She's basically the moral center of the team, which is as far from comic Gamora as you can get .

I thought the Guardians cartoon actually had a solid take on Adam with the movie Guardians, where he was basically a straight man to their antics most of the time, although I also thought they had a stronger take on Gamora too (in that she retained more traits from her comic self and actually came off like the Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy).

honestly I'm not sure we'll ever actually see him. Like mentioned: he's complex, and disney just got a boat load of rights to a bunch of X-Men so why dig that deep into the lore and pull out that niche of a character. I think at this point it's "fan service delivered" and we can all move on.

I doubt we'll see him, since he's a foil to comicbook Thanos, and MCU Thanos is basically Ra's Al Ghul rather than having comicbook Thanos' motivations. Anthony Stark works as a better foil to Ra's Al Ghul than Adam does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Exactly. That's what Pip is for.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

he's a pretty boring character, anyways. no need to see him in live-action. we already have Stephen Strange and Vision.

It could be controversial to go full bore on the religious satire. So much of early Warlock was about this that that for me there is zero point using him unless in that way. The US probably could do with a return to that unabashed seventies exploration of the questions that arise from Christianity, but I can't see Marvel going there somehow, which begs the 'question why bother?'.