Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Thanos's character evolved dramatically under Starlin. The guy that was doing it "for love" was The Final Threat Thanos. After that, he became a lot closer to movie Thanos. In the Rebirth of Thanos Silver Surfer issues, Norrin Radd describes him as Professorial. He also states the exact same motivation that he has in the movie. The only difference is he's doing it as a service to Death as opposed to something he just believes in due to personal experience. Once he places himself as more powerful than Death, his motivation of loving her seems to go away and, certainly, after the story, that motivation is gone entirely for the rest of the trilogy.

I'm not saying there's no difference between the two, but people overstate the difference. To me, the movie got the core of the character very much right rather than inventing their own thing.
    You tell those MCU noobs. Starlin's metaphysical stories went over their heads.

But then Bendis, Aaron and Hickman shitted all' over Thanos' character development regressing him into a edgy version of Blastaar.

And even before that, Thanos was regressed in those Ka-Zar and Thor stories from the late 90's and early 2000's (what the heck was Mark Waid thinking back then?) but Starlin fixed that with Infinity Abyss.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    To me, the movie got the core of the character very much right rather than inventing their own thing.
    I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I agree with you.
    The Russo Bros. Did a good job with Thanos despite the limitations.

Starlin certainly seems happy with the movie interpretation. However, it turns out the reason he seems so pleased with his treatment by the MCU is contractual. He claims that missing paperwork surrounding his work at Marvel meant that they had to do some negotiating with him over usage and therefore he ended up with more from the MCU than the standard rate.

(It has to be said, we don’t have any way of seeing what these negotiations entailed and ‘missing paperwork’ might be a euphemism for the fact that back in the day the contracts were naive over the notion of what was work for hire and what wasn’t.)

Playing amateur psychologist I wonder if this ‘special treatment’ made him less well disposed to Marvel Comics.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-14-2018 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Starlin certainly seems happy with the movie interpretation. However, it turns out the reason he seems so pleased with his treatment by the MCU is contractual. He claims that missing paperwork surrounding his work at Marvel meant that they had to do some negotiating with him over usage and therefore he ended up with more from the MCU than the standard rate.

(It has to be said, we don’t have any way of seeing what these negotiations entailed and ‘missing paperwork’ might be a euphemism for the fact that back in the day the contracts were naive over the notion of what was work for hire and what wasn’t.)

Playing amateur psychologist I wonder if this ‘special treatment’ made him less well disposed to Marvel Comics.
    Just because you get paid doesn't mean you like it...Look at Stephen King. Every chance he gets he rails against Kubrick's The Shining, a movie a lot of people LOVE, myself included...

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Just because you get paid doesn't mean you like it...Look at Stephen King. Every chance he gets he rails against Kubrick's The Shining, a movie a lot of people LOVE, myself included...
    Um. How is this in response to my point? I wasn't saying "he was well paid so of course he likes it." If you read that in my words I wasn't very clear.

He is on record as moaning about his treatment by Marvel but being very happy with his treatment by the MCU. Turns out he was paid quite well by the latter so that's probably why he was so pleased with his treatment.

I am sure it makes him better disposed to how the character was used, but I think it was well used and compatible with his work and I imagine he thinks the same. Indeed you can hear his own words on the matter on a recent Word Balloon podcast.

Starlin said he was pleased with MCU Thanos.

BANNED

To be fair, Kubrick's The Shining, seen in isolation, may be a really effective horror movie, but as an adaption of King's novel, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I don't think Feige and co. understand what makes Adam Warlock appealing. Most MCU heroes are mostly good at two things: quipping and mugging for the screen before quipping some more. It's almost like the villains are antagonists only because the heroes stole the screen time from them.
    Black Panther isn't quippy. T'Challa is relatively stoic and thoughtful. Bucky who is a villain/anti-hero isn't particularly quippy either.

BANNED

Most MCU heroes are mostly good at two things: quipping and mugging for the screen before quipping some more.
    That's not an accurate description of even the worst offenders of MCU quipping.

Speaking of Thanos. Here's another good article on the character. https://sidearc.com/thanos-2016-1-review-analysis/

And i must say i'm not a big fan of the MCU, most of the movies anyway. Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Infinity War and the GotG are exceptions to that however.

Because the Iron Man series is just three films with the same plot points. Because the Thor films fail to capture the fantasy majesty of the character and the other asgardians over boring romances, corny jokes and the most sterile of locations on Earth. Because the first Avengers was about as exciting as losing your virginity and the follow ups as disappointing as routine sex, and Ultron was nerfed hard. Because none of them try to break ground or stray way from the mold despite coming from such opposing genres.

What makes Winter Soldier, GotG, Black Panther Aind Infinity War stand out is because they are different. They embraced the genres they came from offering a superhero slant on an old method. The rest of the movies just tried to copy Iron Man 1.

Speaking of Thanos. Here's another good article on the character. https://sidearc.com/thanos-2016-1-review-analysis/

And i must say i'm not a big fan of the MCU, most of the movies anyway. Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Infinity War and the GotG are exceptions to that however.

Because the Iron Man series is just three films with the same plot points. Because the Thor films fail to capture the fantasy majesty of the character and the other asgardians over boring romances, corny jokes and the most sterile of locations on Earth. Because the first Avengers was about as exciting as losing your virginity and the follow ups as disappointing as routine sex, and Ultron was nerfed hard. Because none of them try to break ground or stray way from the mold despite coming from such opposing genres.

What makes Winter Soldier, GotG, Black Panther Aind Infinity War stand out is because they are different. They embraced the genres they came from offering a superhero slant on an old method. The rest of the movies just tried to copy Iron Man 1.
    I would suggest you may want to revisit the Iron Man trilogy. They are most definitely not retreads, regardless of your appreciation of them personally.

Incredible Member

Jim Starlin's Warlock isn't that. He's a brooding character that deals with religious satire, trippy metaphysical stuff and the line between sanity and insanity.
    There's no reason MCU can't be done along those lines.

Warlock's MCU race is a very interdependent species, they couldn't spare anyone to fight the monster at the beginning of Guardians 2. Thanos just wiped half of them out, how long will the other half survive? Adam will come out of his cocoon in time to see his civilization destroyed or to a dead world. Plenty of fodder for brooding, trippy metaphysical stuff and the line between sanity and insanity.

How much Disney will go into....hard to say.
    Sounds perfect.

Astonishing Member

Most of the MCU's cosmic stuff draws from the post-Annihilation versions. So, MCU Adam Warlock will probably be like the version of him that was running with the Guardians after Annihilation 2. A non-quippy, highly powerful, potentially messiahnic character who was freed from his cocoon too early and thus wasn't complete.

Black Panther doesn't quip relax.

Marvel hasn't messed up yet. No need to freak out now
    The J-man