Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

It's one of those peculiar things where an actor is generally agreed to play "one side" better than the others. For example, some people say Keaton was a better Batman but Bale was a better Bruce Wayne.

For L&C, I've not met a lot of people who liked Dean Cain as Superman but everybody I talk to LOVED his Clark Kent.

And I agree.

Cain and Hatcher were perfect as Clark and Lois which I suppose makes sense since this show was sort of a comantic comedy first and a superhero show second. I watched Seasons 1-3 and loved them. I never did get Season 4....

I recall really liking Season 3 with my main complaint being that Teri's haircut was awful. Well, i didn't much care for it.

OH! And let us never forget L&C had frickin' Tony Jay in it. (may he rest in peace) I thought of him while recalling this show's version of Lex Luthor. Anybody else remember
    Also in "Ides Of Metropolis," Lois and Clark go to interview Lex Luthor and find him skeet shooting off of his balcony... on the 110th floor of his building. When Clark asks him if he knows what could happen should he miss, Lex goes into a calm description of the lethal damage a falling clay pigeon could do before bragging that he never misses. At the end of the episode, we see him privately doing this again. He shares a good gloat over the episode's events with his butler, takes aim and... misses. With the funniest awkward-yet-still-somehow-stoic "oops" expression on his face as he watches plummet towards the unsuspecting public.
    Lex: "Oops... Nigel? Call..."
    Nigel: "The lawyers?"
    Lex: "The lawyers."
    Nigel (dryly): "Yes, right away sir."

And that's me. How about you all?

I loved the show at the time, and whilst it's a while since I've seen any of 'em, I reckon if a UK TV channel started airing 'em again, I'd make a point to try and catch it whenever I could. What I enjoyed most about it was how it embraced the idea of Clark being who Clark is and not the goofy, essentially 'fictional' persona that he'd been in the movies prior to that.

Also, kudos for using the clip that to this day remains my favourite Superman scene ever, be it from comics, TV shows, movies, anything!

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I think it was a mostly fine show, and it does hold up on recent rewatching for me. And, it was a really nice take on both the title characters.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I LOVED this show. I always caught it when it originally aired on Sundays on ABC. It had just the right amount of cheese. Great portrayals by all the principal cast members. Although I did like the original Jimmy better.

I really liked this show. Wasn't real impressed by the superman character but he nailed Clark Kent.

Tempus was such a great villain. Did he ever make it into the comics? I don't think so, too bad, but it probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Default Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

For those who watched this show in the 90s, which cast did you prefer:

Season 1 with original Jimmy Olsen (Michael Landis), Cat Grant (Tracy Scoggins) and full-time Lex Luthor (John Shea)

or

Seasons 2-3 with new Jimmy Olsen (Justin Whalin) no Cat Grant, and occasional Lex Luthor.

Regardless, Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher were fire as Clark and Lois.

Season 1 although I enjoyed the entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Tempus was such a great villain. Did he ever make it into the comics? I don't think so, too bad, but it probably wouldn't have worked anyway.
    There were two different versions, if I recall, one was Sherman Helmsley, the other was grant shaud. Neither one were all that great. And baron Sunday was a big disappointment.

Extraordinary Member

Why did the mods decide to necro an 8-year-old thread rather than just let there be a new thread of Lois and Clark?

This is my favorite live-action version of Superman, though I need to check out Superman and Lois eventually. I much prefer it to any of the movies or Smallville. The title characters, Perry, and Luthor were all really well written and acted, and I appreciated the focus on character over action.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Why did the mods decide to necro an 8-year-old thread rather than just let there be a new thread of Lois and Clark?

This is my favorite live-action version of Superman, though I need to check out Superman and Lois eventually. I much prefer it to any of the movies or Smallville. The title characters, Perry, and Luthor were all really well written and acted, and I appreciated the focus on character over action.
    Yeah, I was taken aback by the combination of the two threads as well.

I prefer Lois and Clark to Smallville as well.

It feels weird to see a show titled 'New' 30 years after its pilot first aired.

I read the complaint about Dean Cain being great as Clark but not so much as Superman, I think he melded the two personas rather splendidly. He did get a bit cocky when guns were aimed at him, comic Superman doesn't give this look of semi-giddy confidence.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I've seen numerous episodes of the series but never in its entirety or in linear manner.

It was on at a bad time for me during a stretch of years when TV choices were still smaller vs now but during my senior year of HS and college days.
    If I managed to catch X-Files and ST: DS9 I considered it a good TV watching week.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

One thing annoying was for its 1st 2 seasons Lois and Clark aired at the same time as Seaquest 8pm Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    One thing annoying was for its 1st 2 seasons Lois and Clark aired at the same time as Seaquest 8pm Sundays.
    So youre the person who watched Seaquest...