Question Question for "super"-fans: What is Ursa's surname (her father's name)?

I might be missing something obvious here but I've been trying to figure it out. I started wondering after seeing Nyssa Vex on the Krypton show and Faora Ul (or Hu-Ul depending on comics version) in the Man of Steel film. I've turned up nothing for Ursa on Google, is it a mystery or just never been mentioned yet? I'd think it would've come up in the comics at some point over the years, like when she had a child with Zod.

How are these three women related, if at all? They have a very similar look to them compared to other Kryptonians. If the info is missing from a wiki I bet one of you knows it from reading all the issues! Thanks in advance.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The movie creations just got a short end of a stick I guess, because Non is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The movie creations just got a short end of a stick I guess, because Non is the same.
    And I'm pretty sure that Zod's given name, "Dru" is a retcon. I only remember him being named "General Zod" in comics I read from that pre-Crisis period, and the movie reflects that. It's part of an older tradition of Kryptonese naming, in which the later standardized naming convention of "given name, hyphen, surname" for men and "given name, father's full name" for women wasn't fully in place yet and what we had instead was nonsense syllables that sound alien, though frankly I suppose that's basically what we have even with the naming convention in place. And I'm fairly certain the filmmakers either didn't know that rule or didn't care about it.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's what I thought, too, but I didn't feel like looking that one up. But you can just feel how it's off anyway, because Kryptonians are most frequently called by their entire name or first name.

I was reading a recent Green Lantern where the Corps discovers a planet that General Zod, Ursa, and their son (Christopher Kent) are ruling. It's a great read and well worth it for any Superman fans.

Anyway, twice in the comics a GL calls Ursa "Ursa-Zod" which I am 99% positive is not correct (even though we don't know her real surname). I'm not sure why a specific GL would know anything about old Kryptonian culture and customs but in a way that makes it even weirder that he kind of just assumes and calls her that. I am left wondering if the writer did that on purpose or doesn't know either.

Retired

I'm pretty sure this question was asked before, but I don't remember the asnwer.

Perhaps her name is Ursa Hu-Ul and she's the sister of Faora Hu-Ul--given they're so alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm pretty sure this question was asked before, but I don't remember the asnwer.

Perhaps her name is Ursa Hu-Ul and she's the sister of Faora Hu-Ul--given they're so alike.
    That could be a good explanation, because right now I'm confused. Who is Zod married to??
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    And I'm pretty sure that Zod's given name, "Dru" is a retcon. I only remember him being named "General Zod" in comics I read from that pre-Crisis period, and the movie reflects that. It's part of an older tradition of Kryptonese naming, in which the later standardized naming convention of "given name, hyphen, surname" for men and "given name, father's full name" for women wasn't fully in place yet and what we had instead was nonsense syllables that sound alien, though frankly I suppose that's basically what we have even with the naming convention in place. And I'm fairly certain the filmmakers either didn't know that rule or didn't care about it.

Actually Dru-Zod was the general's full name back in the pre-coie days. It's just that most stories did not mention it.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    That could be a good explanation, because right now I'm confused. Who is Zod married to??
    In the recent storyline I mentioned (Green Lantern) his wife is Ursa.