View Poll Results: What do you think of the new SHE-RA series?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks OK to me!

27 51.92%
  • Looks TERRIBLE to me!

16 30.77%
  • UNDECIDED! Need to see more!

9 17.31%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Looks like a cat, curled up.
    That's what I saw (and laughed at) when that scene popped up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    The original is just as easy to watch on Netflix* as the newer series, but yes that looks like a lovely children's book.

*Unless for some reason it isn't available on American Netflix. If you watch almost any cartoon at all on Canadian Netflix, the original MOTU/PoP shows, and documentaries about them are all over your recommendations.
    Both She-Ras are on Netflix Stateside.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Regarding the sexuality of these cartoon characters, I definitely saw it in the Princess Prom episode where Catra comes as Scorpia's "Plus One" and is dressed in a man's suit.
    A characterisation example of Catra who hates to be told what to do (even by Shadow Weaver so certainly true with mores and formal conventions), and as a swerve since if either of the two would be predicted to dress masculine would be Scorpia, who is much more physically menacing. Even "utterly queer" doesn't follow code for dress. Cartoons are generally as deep as you want them. For example, we could bring up the Nietzschian aspects of Shadow Weaver/Hordak or Adora/Catra. "In one's friend one shall have one's best enemy." (alternately, "Whoever lives for the sake of combating an enemy has an interest in the enemy's staying alive.”) Unless sexual preference is just funner to speculate about? ó.0
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 11-24-2018 at 11:42 PM. Reason: spelling, punctuation

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    A characterisation example of Catra who hates to be told what to do (even by Shadow Weaver so certainly true with mores and formal conventions), and as a swerve since if either of the two would be predicted to dress masculine would be Scorpia, who is much more physically menacing. Even "utterly queer" doesn't follow code for dress. Cartoons are generally as deep as you want them. For example, we could bring up the Nietzschian aspects of Shadow Weaver/Hordak or Adora/Catra. "In one's friend one shall have one's best enemy." (alternately, "Whoever lives for the sake of combating an enemy has an interest in the enemy's staying alive.”) Unless sexual preference is just funner to speculate about? ó.0
    I honestly saw no real subtext when Catra and Adora danced other than any other scene where a main character is forced to dance with a person they know is evil but is forced to keep appearances in public. Basically Catra distracted Adora long enough to have Scorpia put the plan into action. And it worked.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Not to say they won't go in go in the romantic direction, but they were clearly going for a more sibling dynamic with Catra and Adora.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Not to say they won't go in go in the romantic direction, but they were clearly going for a more sibling dynamic with Catra and Adora.
    At this point I think they kinda have to.A lot of people have interpeted it as romantic subtext so they'll get queerbaiting accusations if they dont pull the trigger, like what happens with Voltron

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    At this point I think they kinda have to.A lot of people have interpeted it as romantic subtext so they'll get queerbaiting accusations if they dont pull the trigger, like what happens with Voltron
    People project a romantic subtext on every relationship in fiction now days.

An author can't help what a reader chooses to project onto things, irregardless of what they may have clearly implied or outright explicitly stated; and can't be beholden to those who choose to make up their own story rather then pay attention to the one being presented.

Anyway Netossa and Spinnerella are clearly in a romantic relationship, and they stated Peekablue and Sweet Bee are dating; so I think they'll be good even if they don't go in that direction.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    People project a romantic subtext on every relationship in fiction now days.

An author can't help what a reader chooses to project onto things, irregardless of what they may have clearly implied or outright explicitly stated; and can't be beholden to those who choose to make up their own story rather then pay attention to the one being presented.

Anyway Netossa and Spinnerella are clearly in a romantic relationship, and they stated Peekablue and Sweet Bee are dating; so I think they'll be good even if they don't go in that direction.
    I agree. Writers need to learn to stick to their guns and not change whatever their story is supposed to do due to fan pressure.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Come on, it's Noelle Stevenson. Nobody is projecting any romantic subtext that isn't there. There's an interpretative element to be fair, but she takes each, and every opportunity to squeeze LGBTQ content into children's media. She doesn't do this **** by accident. I'm just surprised that DreamWorks has been so cool with it.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-25-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Come on, it's Noelle Stevenson. Nobody is projecting any romantic subtext that isn't there. There's an interpretative element to be fair, but she takes each, and every opportunity to squeeze LGBTQ content into children's media. She doesn't do this **** by accident. I'm just surprised that DreamWorks has been so cool with it.
    It's on Netflix, you don't have to jump through the same hoops you have with a network.

You already have 2 confirmed same sex relationships (Actually 3, since they confirmed in interviews that Bow has 2 fathers.), I'm sure there will be more and I would not bet against either of these characters getting into one with different characters (Catra had more potential romantic subtext with Scorpia in that one dress up montage then anything between Carta and Adora the entire season; I wouldn't bet on it, but I wouldn't bet against it either.), but to repeat, not every relationship is a romantic one.

Again, I won't definitively say they won't go in that direction, if someone offline were to wager me, I'd only go $5 in against, but lets take a moment to appreciate how %#$@ed up their relationship really is and ask ourselves if this sounds like they are setting up a romance.

Catra loves Adora; Adora loves Catra, and here lies the root of her resentment, because is has been framed to her, her entire life, that Adora's affections are only thing allowed to give her existence value, her actions mean nothing, her accomplishments mean nothing. It was explicitly told to her that she is tolerated only on Adoras suffrage. In "The Promise" pay attention to how Shadoweaver talks to Adora about Catra in that scene in the Black Garnet room; this is not how you talk to someone about their sibling, this is not how you talk to someone about their friend, this is how you talk to someone about their pet. She has been made to feel entirely subordinate and codependent to Adora her entire life.

This gives off far more jealous dysfunctional #$%@ed up siblings vibes, then any kind of potential love interest.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 11-25-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    Context is king.

Oh, I absolutely don't think they're setting up a romantic relationship between the two. Pardon, the expression but that ship has sailed.

Them having loved one another is unambiguous. The nature of that love is what's open to interpretation. I think there is enough evidence for one to read it as being: sisterly, purely friendship, paramours, or something blurry. Considering the writing staff, and their catalogue of work I would wager that as being intentional.

Personally, while it is worth examining as much as any aspect of a piece of media the nature of that love is inconsequential. Within the fiction the loss of that trust is what drives their current antagonism. I doubt it will recover, but there's certainly enough meat to read into the nature of it.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-25-2018 at 04:30 PM.

well hopefully the show will have a good run and spinoff merchandise. then also He-Man can have his revival show with its own merchandise. the next He-Man show doesn't have to be modeled on this. it can be its own thing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    I honestly saw no real subtext when Catra and Adora danced other than any other scene where a main character is forced to dance with a person they know is evil but is forced to keep appearances in public. Basically Catra distracted Adora long enough to have Scorpia put the plan into action. And it worked.
    And it worked really well. Catra knew enough about Adora to devise a plan that thoroughly sidelined her during those critical moments. Including her dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    well hopefully the show will have a good run and spinoff merchandise. then also He-Man can have his revival show with its own merchandise. the next He-Man show doesn't have to be modeled on this. it can be its own thing.
    Ah but for He-Man to spin off he must be modeled after this, or else the art style will clash too much for crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The toyline coming out from Super 7 is looking pretty good. There's only She-Ra, and Catra presently but I can see it doing well. The Kenner style figures they make are popular with both kids, and collectors. I'm a bit disappointed that they don't look like they'll be out for Christmas though, my niece would love them.

Realistically any new He-Man will be modeled on the new She-Ra. There were plans for a 3D animated reboot for years, but supposedly those were scrapped when the new She-Ra was announced. The PoP team have already confirmed that they consider Adam/He-Man existing as part of their mythology, they just don't know if he'll be having his own show or premiere in an episode of PoP yet.

I do agree, that they could both easily be their own thing. But I am excited to see what they'd do with He-Man. The transformative elements of Adam/He-Man were never really played with in the original MOTU. The 2002 had a much wider range of difference.