View Poll Results: What do you think of the new SHE-RA series?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks OK to me!

27 51.92%
  • Looks TERRIBLE to me!

16 30.77%
  • UNDECIDED! Need to see more!

9 17.31%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    And that's cool if you see it that way. Isn't it fun that we can all have our own head canon?

Attachment 74008
    Looks like a cat, curled up.

My daughters and sister have all done this. I don't think it automatically makes you a lesbian.

I find the fascination with a kids cartoon character's sexual preferences kinda odd, but it's the internet for you.

And if they do reveal something romantic, I'm sure it will be organic and well done. They have more than enough room for that here.

But I don't think the romances are the key parts of this show. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Looks like a cat, curled up.

My daughters and sister have all done this. I don't think it automatically makes you a lesbian.

I find the fascination with a kids cartoon character's sexual preferences kinda odd, but it's the internet for you.

And if they do reveal something romantic, I'm sure it will be organic and well down. They have more than enough room for that here.

But I don't think the romances are the key parts of this show. I could be wrong.
    Most definitely, it doesn't make anyone anything. All it shows is that these two characters are comfortable with one another, and appreciate their companionship. Whether it's viewed from a sisterly perspective, that of pure pure friendship, potential paramours or something else entirely... it is innocent. The dissolution of the relationship whatever that may be, can be viewed as their mutual loss of innocence.

Well, despite significantly positive strides in recent years it is still uncommon to see even the sparks of a same-sex romance in children's media. Whether it's an explicit interest or just a series embracing the possibility, and treating it as natural... Many people appreciate that. Subtext can go a long way, but in a show that is demonstrably comfortable with such depictions people might admittedly read into a lot of relationships. I don't think it has as much to do with sexuality as it does with comfort in such exploration.

Most definitely.

I would agree, but I do think much of the motivations of major characters are driven by relationships. By, and large not ones that have demonstrated to be romantic in nature however. Adora and Catra, Glimmer and her mother, Entrapta and the rest of the princesses, etc.

This series has a lot of meat to it.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-20-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Regarding the sexuality of these cartoon characters, I definitely saw it in the Princess Prom episode where Catra comes as Scorpia's "Plus One" and is dressed in a man's suit. Catra then proceeds to do an intimate dance with Adora. To say there is no gay subtext to that or the series in general isn't substantiated by what's onscreen.

Anyway, here's what the producers themselves have to say (copied from Wikipedia):

--------------------------------------------------------------
    LGBT representation:

The creators indicated prior to release that the series would provide LGBT representation. Tor.com commented that the series "reads as utterly queer in just about every aspect", with many characters coded as fluid in terms of gender or sexuality, and none as clearly heterosexual.

The first season hints at a romantic relationship between two female side characters, Spinnerella and Netossa, and there are undercurrents of romantic tension in the relationship of Adora and Catra. The eighth episode of the first season, "Princess Prom", which sees the two dancing, was inspired by teenage romantic comedies.

------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the actor who voices Bow said that his character has two Dads and that they would be shown in the series. If that's the case, I missed it, or the sequence was deleted from the final episode, but maybe it's part of a future season.

I don't believe Bow's fathers were shown or mentioned. Since voice recordings occur very early in a production, the VA probably assumed some sessions would be in the first batch of episodes that would ultimately be in the second batch. Netflix productions are always funny about "seasons" anyway, what might be a season in production could be split into Two or more parts when dropped onto the streaming platform. Much like they do with Voltron LD.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Most definitely, it doesn't make anyone anything. All it shows is that these two characters are comfortable with one another, and appreciate their companionship. Whether it's viewed from a sisterly perspective, that of pure pure friendship, potential paramours or something else entirely... it is innocent. The dissolution of the relationship whatever that may be, can be viewed as their mutual loss of innocence.

Well, despite significantly positive strides in recent years it is still uncommon to see even the sparks of a same-sex romance in children's media. Whether it's an explicit interest or just a series embracing the possibility, and treating it as natural... Many people appreciate that. Subtext can go a long way, but in a show that is demonstrably comfortable with such depictions people might admittedly read into a lot of relationships. I don't think it has as much to do with sexuality as it does with comfort in such exploration.

Most definitely.

I would agree, but I do think much of the motivations of major characters are driven by relationships. By, and large not ones that have demonstrated to be romantic in nature however. Adora and Catra, Glimmer and her mother, Entrapta and the rest of the princesses, etc.

This series has a lot of meat to it.
    I don't mean to sound like I am minimizing the possible subtext and the LGBTQ representation here in the show (that was not my intention). I just don't think the ROMANCES are the driver for the show. The relationship of course are, just not the romantic ones. But that could change.

I don't doubt Catra is a bit more fluid in her preferences but again, I think a lot of that subtext is less about sex and more about characterization.

I still think it is kinda of odd to be debating who bangs who in a kid's cartoon. I don't recall having debates with my friends about if Snake Eyes was giving the one-eyed snake to Storm Shadow.

There's so much more going on in She-Ra than that.

Glitter's mother's reveal of getting her father killed was pretty emotional and well done. The show handles heavy stuff well.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Glitter's mother's reveal of getting her father killed was pretty emotional and well done. The show handles heavy stuff well.
    But that's the problem though. Most of the Tumblr drama-rams crowd overlooks that and just cares about 'omg everybody's gay'.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

I don't mean to sound like I am minimizing the possible subtext and the LGBTQ representation here in the show (that was not my intention). I just don't think the ROMANCES are the driver for the show. The relationship of course are, just not the romantic ones. But that could change.

I don't doubt Catra is a bit more fluid in her preferences but again, I think a lot of that subtext is less about sex and more about characterization.

I still think it is kinda of odd to be debating who bangs who in a kid's cartoon. I don't recall having debates with my friends about if Snake Eyes was giving the one-eyed snake to Storm Shadow.

There's so much more going on in She-Ra than that.

I agree.

I also agree.

If I'm not mistaken, nobody here had been talking about characters "banging." Just romantic interest both clearly defined, and interpretative. Granted some people have dropped "Sexual Tension" once or twice, but the context hasn't gone deeper than romantic tension.

It does indeed handle it well. I do hope we go further into Hordak's motivations in later episodes, he was more defined than Skeletor in the original canon but I think his character has the potential to be even meatier.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-21-2018 at 05:27 PM.

I rewatched the show and man...you can say whatever you want about character design or fear the agenda behind it (lol) but this is very wery well written and character driven. Catra is an amazing villain.

I watched with my niece and she loved it. She's 7! and also my nephew who is 9 and loves super heroes loved the mythology and the powers of the princesses. Who also loved it? My 45 year old brother in law :-)

So happy for the future of She-Ra.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Incredible Member

The first season of Voltron was the same way. They toned down the slapstick and opted for more complex story lines and the show is amazing. The early anime slapstick tone allowed us to have the D & D episode, the shows greatest episode and easily one of the top 10 single episodes on a kid show this decade.

Stevenson has a 4-season arc planned. I wouldn't be surprised if they're using a similar format that Voltron used.

She-Ra is also a pre-teen show with teens as the stars. I don't think grimdark would help them ensnare their target demo. But I'm willing to bet money this show gets "edgier" as the show goes on.

She-Ra is also a show for girls, much like Stevenson's Lumber Janes. It's not going to go the route most people think as it's for girls.

My favorite parts of both shows is they deal with some pretty heavy story elements, are still kid friendly, and don't talk down to kids.

Catra touches everyone and then jumps back and admonishes/attacks/betrays them. She was playing with Entrapta's hair when she had her captive, too. I took it as her being more cat-like (one minute in your lap cuddling, next minute biting your hand) than her previous incarnations. Same goes for her bond with She-Ra.

Not everything has to be sexuality
    Personally I see his point,while its doesn't need to go grim dark I think some scened could have benefited from a more serious tone

The scene with the Mom and daughter (and the issues two had with each other) in the first ep was admittedly
    difficult for me to take seriously since it jumped from criticism of bad tactical choices to 'You dont understand me mom!' pretty jarringly
    Last edited by Baseman; 11-21-2018 at 06:53 PM.

It is objectively a great cartoon, love the humour, love the voice acting, the animation style works surprisingly well. With every ep ending I'm just looking forward to the next one.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I'm mixed. I love the Catra development, but generally, I think they've kidified it too much.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...en-books-2019/

Meet She-Ra, Princess of Power! This Little Golden Book, based on the original She-Ra TV series, tells the story of He-Man’s twin sister, Princess Adora, and how she became the mighty She-Ra. Children ages 2 to 5 who are fans of the new She-Ra series on Netflix will love this, as will anyone who grew up watching the original show.

She-Ra, Princess of Power is a classic animated series with a new look and new episodes for a new generation of fans. She-Ra is a brave, loyal, and empowering warrior princess for fans young and old.
    Nice to have something out to educate the kids on the original She-Ra

The original is just as easy to watch on Netflix* as the newer series, but yes that looks like a lovely children's book.

*Unless for some reason it isn't available on American Netflix. If you watch almost any cartoon at all on Canadian Netflix, the original MOTU/PoP shows, and documentaries about them are all over your recommendations.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-24-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    But that's the problem though. Most of the Tumblr drama-rams crowd overlooks that and just cares about 'omg everybody's gay'.
    Well the same can be said about the detractors.

How much stuff have we seen attacked based on WHO is on the cover of the product.

If one group wasn't so concern about why does a show have to include LGBT or POC in the FIRST place-we don't see the drama and get more conversations about the show content.

However the ONE difference is ONE of those sets of folks will still WATCH the product.

So while seeing a LGBT folks on the show-one set will be able to DISCUSS what is on the show versus the other set making CRAP up to degrade the show.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm too young to have grown up with the original She-Ra and He-Man cartoons, but I've caught re-runs once and a while. The old shows had a very cool concept, but it doesn't really hold up as quality entertainment. Writing wise, I don't think there is anywhere to go but up.

This is the first incarnation of this universe that I've really sat down and watched and gave my full attention to, but I'm 5 episodes in and digging it so far. The art style takes some getting used to, and is a bit too cute for my tastes, but it's not bad. I love Adora and Catra. I can already tell their dynamic is going to be my favorite. Warrior princess vs. feral cat lady with lesbian subtext? I'm getting serious Wonder Woman/Cheetah vibes, and I love it.

I do hope for an eventual He-Man cartoon to go along with this, but the art style wouldn't fit him as much.