View Poll Results: What do you think of the new SHE-RA series?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks OK to me!

27 51.92%
  • Looks TERRIBLE to me!

16 30.77%
  • UNDECIDED! Need to see more!

9 17.31%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    ROFL. No.

I rewatched a couple of older episode on YT and found it vastly superior to this tumblr-bait garbage
    There is no conceivable debate you could bring to the table that would make Filmation mediocrity comparable to this. Better story, voice acting, animation, aesthetic, you name it. Just the conceptual process alone made it inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    The show does not leave a possiblity of connection with He-Man. It is connected. The question is if they decide to explore the connection later.
    I don't think anything's connected until we hear confirmation of either a He-Man appearance or MOTU show. As is I wouldn't consider the repeated mentions of "Eternia" anything more than references. He-Man doesn't have to exist in the show.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    There is no conceivable debate you could bring to the table that would make Filmation mediocrity comparable to this. Better story, voice acting, animation, aesthetic, you name it. Just the conceptual process alone made it inevitable.
    I only saw the preview but nah the Filmation stuff looks way better than this. Adora also looks pretty young to be considered for a force captain just talking plot points.

I don't think anything's connected until we hear confirmation of either a He-Man appearance or MOTU show. As is I wouldn't consider the repeated mentions of "Eternia" anything more than references. He-Man doesn't have to exist in the show.
    He-Man not existing in this show is the only thing I like because if MOTU gets another reboot I'd rather it be free from this and I thought She-Ra was the better overall show as a kid. Also the Filmation animation and designs were way better IMO.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 11-15-2018 at 09:12 AM.

BANNED

We do not know that either. So far, i haven't saw something that suggests that He-Man is non existent. They might not show him, true but i can't accept with what i have saw so far, that He-Man do not exist.
    It is highly possible that Eternia might be a bit more that a simply reference.

The show runners and the He-Man bible guy flat-out said He-Man exists in this. If this proves popular, their hope is to bring in a He-Man show and then a combined Masters of the Universe show.

They're building a universe.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

We do not know that either. So far, i haven't saw something that suggests that He-Man is non existent. They might not show him, true but i can't accept with what i have saw so far, that He-Man do not exist.
    It is highly possible that Eternia might be a bit more that a simply reference.
    I'm not arguing that he doesn't exist in the context of this new show. They're clearly allowing for that possibility, as BeastieRunner states they're more than likely intending on it. I just don't think it's necessary, it could exist in isolation, and be no worse off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The show runners and the He-Man bible guy flat-out said He-Man exists in this. If this proves popular, their hope is to bring in a He-Man show and then a combined Masters of the Universe show.

They're building a universe.
    Oh please no please no not with this animation style.

BANNED

I'm not arguing that he doesn't exist in the context of this new show. They're clearly allowing for that possibility, as BeastieRunner states they're more than likely intending on it. I just don't think it's necessary, it could exist in isolation, and be no worse off for it.
    Ιn episode 3, we saw Adora having flashbacks of another planet and an escape pod. Maybe, they using the Superman formula on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Oh please no please no not with this animation style.
    Would you prefer beans?

Ιn episode 3, we saw Adora having flashbacks of another planet and an escape pod. Maybe, they using the Superman formula on this?
    You might be onto to something.

"Stevenson told Animation Magazine earlier this year that the show's writers have four arcs of 13 episodes - essentially, four seasons - done. Setting up She-Ra on a new show. Either the He-Man or MOTU crossover, whichever gets off the ground first. So production could potentially move forward quickly on season 2, meaning She-Ra could be back with a new adventure in spring or summer 2019."

"Lastly, thanks to Scribner accidentally revealing Bow has two dads in She-Ra during the show's New York Comic Con panel - and since they don't appear in season 1 - we can expect to meet Bow's parents in a future episode. How Bow's dads factor into the story or when they'll appear remains to be seen, but a season 2 introduction seems the most likely. So fans can expect plenty more adventure and exploration of the world of Etheria in She-Ra and the Princesses of Power season 2."

"Rumors are abound that a veteran voice actor was brought into voice Skeletor to setup a separate He-Man show for Season 2."
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Watched it over the past two days, I enjoyed it. The designs are a bit hit or miss, but even the misses definitely grow on you. Every character is visually unique, with a personality to match. It's fairly funny, and fairly action packed (For a Y7 rating anyway). It even did a good job at divorcing itself from MOTU while leaving the possibility of a connection being later established. You can tell a lot of love went into the show.

It's not the greatest animated Netflix original ("Hilda" would probably be granted that title), but it's unquestionably better than the original series.
    Still have four episodes left but will try to wrap it up tomorrow. I pretty much agree on the points you said (haven't seen Hilda though it has been on my to watch list) but yeah I think it's been a great reboot so far. There's usually a character that I can point at in any show and be like, yeah I don't really like you, but the cast so far all have something that makes them fun or interesting.

Really excited for the future hope they get to do everything they want to do with the series.

Astonishing Member

He-Man not existing in this show is the only thing I like because if MOTU gets another reboot I'd rather it be free from this and I thought She-Ra was the better overall show as a kid. Also the Filmation animation and designs were way better IMO.
    Here is a thing people do not realize about animation, the more detailed the design the more work it takes to make it look good in motion. Sure the old Flimination designs looked good on paper but always seemed awkward with the limited animation in those old series, a less detailed designed allows for better animation in motion. Also, it's hard to argue the old Filmation series was better in terms of plot and characterization. I do not begrudge the old cartoon, but its best to leave it in the past.

And apparently, there are some legal issues preventing He-Man or his characters from appearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Still have four episodes left but will try to wrap it up tomorrow. I pretty much agree on the points you said (haven't seen Hilda though it has been on my to watch list) but yeah I think it's been a great reboot so far. There's usually a character that I can point at in any show and be like, yeah I don't really like you, but the cast so far all have something that makes them fun or interesting.

Really excited for the future hope they get to do everything they want to do with the series.
    You can really tell when people just want to make a good cartoon, and not have it just be an elongated toy commercial. You should really check Hilda out when you finish She-Ra. I wouldn't say they're all that similar, but the core demographic feels to be about the same. It's adapted from a series of comics by a former Adventure Time story artist.

It would take a rather jarring change in direction, design, and tone for me not to stick around. Hopefully they're able to control the creative direction to tell the stories they want. Netflix is pretty good about it, there's a lot in PoP that probably wouldn't fly on the Disney Channel. CN or NICK? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Here is a thing people do not realize about animation, the more detailed the design the more work it takes to make it look good in motion. Sure the old Flimination designs looked good on paper but always seemed awkward with the limited animation in those old series, a less detailed designed allows for better animation in motion. Also, it's hard to argue the old Filmation series was better in terms of plot and characterization. I do not begrudge the old cartoon, but its best to leave it in the past.

And apparently, there are some legal issues preventing He-Man or his characters from appearing.
    The original MOTU animation designs are fine enough, but yes they're not exactly animation friendly. Certainly not on the budget that Filmation had. It's fair enough to enjoy the Filmation shows, but it takes more than a couple of caveats to call them "Good." Calling them "Great" is borderline laughable. I can't speak for the early '90s series, but I can say that every other iteration of MOTU was better. Not that there have been many without counting the comics, or that people care. The 2002 MOTU was amazing, but as someone in the target audience at the time... kids didn't give a crap about it.

The designs for the new PoP are significantly more animation friendly, the crew can do a whole lot more for less money. In the world of animation funding that gets you farther.

I did hear whispers a few years ago that there were plans for a 3D animated MOTU, that was to be released in 2019. Supposedly that only recently fell apart with a lot of assets already being complete. They may have figured that the new PoP route would be better.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-15-2018 at 06:19 PM.

He-man's mom is from earth in the filmation show so it could be her.

Yeah, I think this show's character designs and aesthetic are fine for what they are but I don't think they would be right for updating He-Man because he has an entirely different design sensibility.

But I also say this as a big fan of the 2002 He-Man reboot, so I would probably judge any He-Man revamp by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I think this show's character designs and aesthetic are fine for what they are but I don't think they would be right for updating He-Man because he has an entirely different design sensibility.

But I also say this as a big fan of the 2002 He-Man reboot, so I would probably judge any He-Man revamp by that.
    I think that's an interesting take. I can see where it comes from, but I think Scorpia's new design proves that the muscular giant look can fit into the current PoP series. It might make the size difference between Prince Adam, and He-Man more considerable than in past iterations but I think it would work out. The problem with the original He-Man toy, and animation designs is that the idea of an Eight foot tall, 500 lbs super barbarian gets lost when the majority of the male characters are of similar stature. He-Man would certainly look more physically powerful than the average character, which was the initial goal.

The 2002 series was great. As someone who was in the target audience at the time, MOTU looked like the stupidest thing on the planet at the time. But having given it a shot later, after having watched so much of the original cartoon in college... I really wish it had been given the chance to continue.