Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
If Filmation was remembered for being good, it would be for BraveStarr as well as their Flash Gordon adaptations more so than anything else. Most other productions require numerous charitable caveats to be called good. It doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable or even memorable, I like the original MOTU as well as PoP for what they are. I'm not trying to take anything away from you here.

Mediocre to bad stuff gets remade all the time. As long as it has a pre-existing familiarity, and a production company has the rights to do so the original's quality doesn't really matter. Like most of anything they are largely forgettable with a few successes, and notable failures peppered in. You're citing Voltron, and look at its history. The original series was a cobbled together mess, but had cool looking robots that made it memorable. The late '90s CGI series* was shinier, but unremarkable aside from letting a new bunch of kids know that Voltron toys were a thing. 2011's Voltron Force wasn't bad, I actually wish this one found a larger audience to be honest. But Legendary Defender is just great TV, they took what was memorable about the original series and in an inspired use of nostalgia actually tried to make a good show.

*I actually loved the Third Dimension as a kid. Watched every episode, and received all of the lions for Christmas one year. But boy was it not a good show. At least with the original you can have a few drinks, and make a night of it with some friends on Netflix. The Third Dimension is just an empty void.
Eh I think the opinion that the old MOTU cartoons are bad or even remembered in a bad light would be a in a minority. Especially among fans, but see I don't even remember the Third Dimension doubtful they'll be a remake. But each to their own if ppl like the new She-Ra good for them.