View Poll Results: What do you think of the new SHE-RA series?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks OK to me!

27 51.92%
  • Looks TERRIBLE to me!

16 30.77%
  • UNDECIDED! Need to see more!

9 17.31%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    If Filmation was remembered for being good, it would be for BraveStarr as well as their Flash Gordon adaptations more so than anything else. Most other productions require numerous charitable caveats to be called good. It doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable or even memorable, I like the original MOTU as well as PoP for what they are. I'm not trying to take anything away from you here.

Mediocre to bad stuff gets remade all the time. As long as it has a pre-existing familiarity, and a production company has the rights to do so the original's quality doesn't really matter. Like most of anything they are largely forgettable with a few successes, and notable failures peppered in. You're citing Voltron, and look at its history. The original series was a cobbled together mess, but had cool looking robots that made it memorable. The late '90s CGI series* was shinier, but unremarkable aside from letting a new bunch of kids know that Voltron toys were a thing. 2011's Voltron Force wasn't bad, I actually wish this one found a larger audience to be honest. But Legendary Defender is just great TV, they took what was memorable about the original series and in an inspired use of nostalgia actually tried to make a good show.

*I actually loved the Third Dimension as a kid. Watched every episode, and received all of the lions for Christmas one year. But boy was it not a good show. At least with the original you can have a few drinks, and make a night of it with some friends on Netflix. The Third Dimension is just an empty void.
    Eh I think the opinion that the old MOTU cartoons are bad or even remembered in a bad light would be a in a minority. Especially among fans, but see I don't even remember the Third Dimension doubtful they'll be a remake. But each to their own if ppl like the new She-Ra good for them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Yeah, but recycled every 5 minutes though? Have you seen episodes of He-Man and She-Ra? Have you seen how many times characters walk and run the exact same way? Or the time they walk towards the screen, stop, and put their hands on their hips the exact same way regardless of character? How everyone raises their head to laugh the exact same way? It's harder to point out new animation in a He-Man/She-Ra episode than there is to point out recycled ones.

Anyways, the new show is pretty awesome. I like the characters and how different they are from each other. I also like that the members of the Horde aren't black and white evil, some of them are actually friendly towards each other, which is realistic. I don't care who you work for, most people get along with their co-workers. The old Horde literally had everyone hate and backstab each other 24/7. I like how Adora is having trouble discovering who she was while at the same time adjusting to who she has now become.

I find it more realistic having She-Ra bumble around a bit and learn to adjust to her powers and what she can and can't do. He-Man gets a pass because his show started with him being He-Man already for some unknown amount of time, but we saw She-Ra's origin and she was already an expert of her powers upon first transformation. She could heal injuries but there was no real moment of 'wait? I can do that?'. It's funny how as a kid I never thought of such things like 'whoa, she just turned into She-Ra for the very first time, how does she know she can do all these things?' I mean, He-Man was just incredibly strong, She-Ra was given extra super powers.

I do like the almost Super Saiyan effect with her glowing gold and her hair flowing upwards.

The weird thing for me is how Adora doesn't really try to hide her She-Ra identity and just transforms in front of everybody all the time. But I think we're tired of the whole 'Adora has to hide' thing by now. I wonder if the new show will have her sword transform into other objects or not? ...though I kinda consider that super power overkill.
    Honestly I'm just not a fan of badly drawn animation which seems to be a thing with a lot of new shows from the new TMNT to this. And almost everything on cartoon network. A lot of the characters don't seem to have weight to them. It's just my opinion I thought BTAS looked horrible too with all the huge chins and rectangle arms but whatever.

I haven't watched more than 5 mins of the new show and I don't want to be one of those ppl watching something I don't like just to rag on it. So like I said if ppl like the new show great. I can always watch the old one whenever.

Here is about filmation.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh I think the opinion that the old MOTU cartoons are bad or even remembered in a bad light would be a in a minority. Especially among fans, but see I don't even remember the Third Dimension doubtful they'll be a remake. But each to their own if ppl like the new She-Ra good for them.
    Respectfully, I don't think my point made it across. You do you.

I'm just saying fond memories of something being good isn't usually reflective of their actual content upon further analysis. It works the other way around as well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I noticed the recycled animation in Disney. And the sentence above is definitely an exaggeration ppl remember filmation because it was good. And if nothing they produced was good nobody/ netflix included would see fit to do remakes. Bad stuff doesn't get remade. And the remakes never live up to the original except for maybe Voltron. The 2002 MOTU was pretty good too.
    The Amazing World of Gumball is a show made of many of the failed projects of one guy.

Robotech was made up of three shows. The Southern Cross was AXED and never finished its run. It was added to Robotech and edited out the two moons (since it took place on another planet) and hid the fact Bowie was Emerson's son (including hiding a photo of him in a scene).

Voltron was set to be made up of 3 failed series-only two made it over here.

Power Rangers have some series that bombed tossed into it (looking at you PR Overdrive).

Disney shows might have recycled stuff in it but not as much as Filmation prior to Bravestarr. I don't remember seeing that recycle stuff in any of Disney Afternoon shows.

He-Man was the biggest offender. Even with stuff from Blackstarr in it. Implying that series is linked to He-Man. We won't discuss Star Trek Animated series.

Flash Gordon was suppose to stand alone while the movie lead to Defenders of the Earth series.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Animation isnt as bad as the stills made it look like it was going to be, but it's still a bit 'cheap' looking to have such nice backgrounds, then poorly done actual character models.

Voice acting is also hit and miss; I miss Catra speaking more cat like, and Shadow Weaver sounds rubbish.

I'm disappointed Bow is missing his moustache
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The Amazing World of Gumball is a show made of many of the failed projects of one guy.

Robotech was made up of three shows. The Southern Cross was AXED and never finished its run. It was added to Robotech and edited out the two moons (since it took place on another planet) and hid the fact Bowie was Emerson's son (including hiding a photo of him in a scene).

Power Rangers have some series that bombed tossed into it (looking at you PR Overdrive).

Disney shows might have recycled stuff in it but not as much as Filmation prior to Bravestarr. I don't remember seeing that recycle stuff in any of Disney Afternoon shows.

He-Man was the biggest offender. Even with stuff from Blackstarr in it. Implying that series is linked to He-Man. We won't discuss Star Trek Animated series.

Flash Gordon was suppose to stand alone while the movie lead to Defenders of the Earth series.
    Yes, of course Filmation cartoons had more recycled animation / stock poses in them than the Disney Afternoon stuff. With few exceptions, Filmation did all their animation work here in the US. The combination of small budgets plus high labor costs mean that companies have to cut corners.

The Disney Afternoon stuff was entirely animated overseas and likely had higher budgets because they were Disney products. So, yes, the Disney syndicated stuff looked better and had more complex and fluid animation with little to no need for stock animation.

A lot of people -- especially those in the animation industry in America at the time -- applauded Filmation for keeping the jobs here in America.

Frankly, now that the battle has been lost and all non-theatrical animation is done overseas, I wouldn't mind seeing a modern cartoon using Filmation's more detailed and realistic character designs coupled with today's more detailed and fluid animation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Don't remember Gumball. But Robotech,Voltron,PR all successes I'm not sure if you're saying they're a mishmash of failed shows in Japan. Or that some of the original series failed. Either way they were big hits over here. I don't think taking a failed show in one country and repackaging it for another counts as a remake.

Mighty Member

I don't remember the original "He Man" or "She Ra" being that good to begin with. I think a lot of people conflate their joy of playing with the toys with the actual quality of the show... it's like G1 "Transformers" in some respects. once you separate the show from the massive corporate toy franchise it was in service of... it wasn't really all that great.

I thought the 2002 reboot of MOTU was better than the original in most respects. (then again, I thought "Transformers Prime" was better than G1 and Beast Wars put together... those kids were still super-annoying, but I could mostly forgive the show for that)

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I don't remember the original "He Man" or "She Ra" being that good to begin with. I think a lot of people conflate their joy of playing with the toys with the actual quality of the show... it's like G1 "Transformers" in some respects. once you separate the show from the massive corporate toy franchise it was in service of... it wasn't really all that great.

I thought the 2002 reboot of MOTU was better than the original in most respects. (then again, I thought "Transformers Prime" was better than G1 and Beast Wars put together... those kids were still super-annoying, but I could mostly forgive the show for that)
    Honestly it's just people having more respect for their childhood memories of cartoons than the actual craft of animation. Any attempt at further understanding or criticism will undoubtedly be ignored to preserve them. It's understandable, but somewhat aggravating to deal with when you're talking about your own profession.

You're on the ball about 2002 MOTU, and Prime. As much as I wish Beast Wars held up, it really doesn't. It's a few degrees better than the '80s series, but it's a difficult watch under normal conditions. The behind the scenes stories are pretty awesome though.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-18-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Funny thing about he-man is I wanted to show my young nephews he-man so I put in my 2002 he-man dvd in as it is more updated and they might like it more then the 80s or 90s ones. They didn't like it all! They hated it! Later on another day I was watching a episode of the 80s cartoon and they came in. They sat down to watch and loved it! They love the 80s show and have watched many episodes but hated the 2002 one! Just goes to show you kids like what they like. It does not matter how old it is. (don't forget the usa cartoon express with reruns of 60s to 80s hanna barbera cartoons and 80s cartoons like gijoe and he-man were so big in ratings it was killing nicks new "nicktoon" block! (yes rugrats and ren and stimpy was getting it's butt kicked by reruns of scooby-doo, smurfs and jem! They even made a ad insulting cartoon express to get kids to watch nicktoons! lucky for nick turner would pull most of the Hanna-Barbera shows off usa to make cartoon network saving nicktoons! How ironic cn helped nick!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Funny thing about he-man is I wanted to show my young nephews he-man so I put in my 2002 he-man dvd in as it is more updated and they might like it more then the 80s or 90s ones. They didn't like it all! They hated it! Later on another day I was watching a episode of the 80s cartoon and they came in. They sat down to watch and loved it! They love the 80s show and have watched many episodes but hated the 2002 one! Just goes to show you kids like what they like. It does not matter how old it is. (don't forget the usa cartoon express with reruns of 60s to 80s hanna barbera cartoons and 80s cartoons like gijoe and he-man were so big in ratings it was killing nicks new "nicktoon" block! (yes rugrats and ren and stimpy was getting it's butt kicked by reruns of scooby-doo, smurfs and jem! They even made a ad insulting cartoon express to get kids to watch nicktoons! lucky for nick turner would pull most of the Hanna-Barbera shows off usa to make cartoon network saving nicktoons! How ironic cn helped nick!)
    I have no doubt, the original MOTU as well as similar cartoons from the '80s are very digestible. They don't have much of an entry fee to appreciate when you're a kid. The 2002 series required more of an investment of attention to get into, which is presumably why it didn't last long. When both offer strange/neat looking characters doing feats of valour and/or terror, the easier one is going to win out. I'm glad your nephews had fun with it.

This show overall was ok, some humorous bits mixed in with predictable humor/slapstick.

Some of the worlds they've built are beautiful, and same goes for character designs.

I don't think this is quite for me though, this phase of American animation just isn't for me. Everything just looks too sugary, vibrant, and polished while also being flat with no use of shading. I noticed whenever glimmer is on the screen my eyes magnetically go to her hair and I think it's because it usually is the thing with the most dimension in a lot of frames. These shows have little to no texture.

Before I started watching this series I saw 80's She-Ra's transformation and I was amazed. It just has that dirt on it that I like, but nevermind the resolution the transformation was simple, textured, and strangley-pleasantly-surprisingly-realistic; especially the part with the sparks. Her transformation for this show is good too, but it's just flat and the same throughout.

I understand less detail equals more you can do, and I used to agree with that myself, well I still do in a sense but I hate the way its used as an excuse. As if we'll never see a change, growth, or boundaries pushed. Not to mention that ideal was shown at it's worse for parts of the show which made me think, well damn if you're going to sacrifice dimension and dynamicism for this, then it's not even worth it. I also don't see the "more" you can do that some of you have mention because it seems like normal action/movement to me, except cheaper looking.

The Thundercats reboot from 2011 looked awesome design-wise and was able to keep up animation-wise, and the earlier He-Man reboot was similar if I remember correctly. Even from the same company, the Voltron remake was fantastic and that like a layer or two of detail more than this.

So while it is cheaper, I don't quite think it's better, but I'm also sure this tumblr'y aesthetic is on purpose and geared towards a certain audience. God knows that OP theme is, my goodness..lol that was horrendous.

More specifically with these character designs I'm more inclined to follow the illustrator on Instagram or something, because I already do follow a couple artist with a similar style; but seeing them move..nah.

The show feels damn near mostly inconsequential as well, but once again I see what they're going for. I liked a good amount of the character interactions specifically with Catra and Adora hashing things out. Most of the nteractions are jokes though so that's kind of just there. I liked Catra's rise up the ranks and thinking about it now I don't think they needed as many princesses. The tie to the crystals is cool and all, but If it was just the core of Adora, Catra, ShadowWeave, Lobster claws, Not-Skeletor, Glimmer and Bow I'd be ight. I don't know if swiftwind talked in the older show, if so, that's for you guys I guess..but not for me. They didn't need yet another voice, wth heaavy quip at that.

I'll likely pass on season 2, but I enjoyed what I enjoyed and "meh" at what I didn't.

BANNED

I hope that you like my take on her...
    scan 19-11.jpg

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

It's pretty much the gayest mainstream cartoon I've ever seen. I'd be more impressed with that if the show had a darker, more mature theme. But we're in a design phase for animation where gay = Bright and billowy cotton candy. Maybe one day gay kids will get something legitimately badass.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."