View Poll Results: What do you think of the new SHE-RA series?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks OK to me!

27 51.92%
  • Looks TERRIBLE to me!

16 30.77%
  • UNDECIDED! Need to see more!

9 17.31%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

It's not "gayer" then the old filmation one. The colours are very similar. And look at Bow and Prince Adam designs from the 80's cartoon. All the girls with mini skirt, high heeled boots and barbie hair.
    A picture would last longer darling...

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    It's not "gayer" then the old filmation one. The colours are very similar. And look at Bow and Prince Adam designs from the 80's cartoon. All the girls with mini skirt, high heeled boots and barbie hair.
    Whaaaaaat? Slight similarities in designs aside, the new show is swimming in same-sex relationships. With no advertisers to risk offending, they don't even have to be subtle with the subject. 80's She-ra can have all the pastels and miniskirts it wants, but it'll never be gayer than a show where two people of the same gender can be in an open relationship on-screen, that's just a fact. I only regret that the story wasn't edgier.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

I just finished watching it, so I guess I should weigh in on my own thread.

I wasn't crazy about it, but I will say the later episodes were better. The simplistic character designs were boring to look at like a lot of animation these days. The little action that was in each episode up until the finale wasn't particularly exciting. There really wasn't anything eye-popping about this show at all, and given that it took place in a magical world, "eye-popping" should have been a slam dunk. I don't know how this was animated, but it looked like the cruddy flash animation that is often used these days.

Also, the whole tone of the show was way too sitcom-y and jokey for me -- and filled with goofy, awkward teenagers. This is where the show really lost me. If it had a more serious, dramatic tone, I could have rolled with it.

It's obviously aimed at today's pre-teens, which is to be expected, and that's ok. I hope they enjoyed it.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    It's pretty much the gayest mainstream cartoon I've ever seen. I'd be more impressed with that if the show had a darker, more mature theme. But we're in a design phase for animation where gay = Bright and billowy cotton candy. Maybe one day gay kids will get something legitimately badass.
    Bright palettes, and simpler designs are "in" regardless of LGBT content. The Regular Show, and the new Ben 10 have similar design sensibilities to Adventure Time or Steven Universe, how well the latter two handle LGBT themes/subtext is worthy of discussion but the former two don't really have any. It's not really much different than how so many series tried to ape on the design aesthetic of Batman or X-Men in the '90s.

I thought it was a pretty mature story overall. Dark and/or edgy? Maybe not, but there was a pretty heavy focus on betrayal, and abandonment. Those aren't exactly juvenile concepts, even when it's through the eyes of teenagers. There's also a character dealing with the fact that the great empire she was a part of was just a farce, granted she kind of got over that pretty quickly, and it only really comes up when she's trying to get her friend to see the light. Some of the characters are certainly immature, but I wouldn't say the show is.

While largely just heavy subtext in the latter half of the series (that was immediately confirmed by the creators, and followed up on in sequel comics), but gay kids do/did have Korra/Asami from Legend of Korra. It was only as much as Nick S&P would allow at the time, but it was something. Enough that later series on the network have been allowed to more directly address same sex relationships, albeit not as protagonists yet.

Whaaaaaat? Slight similarities in designs aside, the new show is swimming in same-sex relationships. With no advertisers to risk offending, they don't even have to be subtle with the subject. 80's She-ra can have all the pastels and miniskirts it wants, but it'll never be gayer than a show where two people of the same gender can be in an open relationship on-screen, that's just a fact. I only regret that the story wasn't edgier.
    I agree, as "fabulous" as the original MOTU/PoP designs were that doesn't really mean much in terms of LGBT content. A lot of things from the '80s were pretty "gay." Not more so than Spinnerella, and Netossa clearly being in a physically affectionate relationship.

Ah so your saying it's gay because of the representation factor and not because of a "gay" aesthetics.... I didn't understand. Sorry. Specially because gay for for americans is so pejorative that's it's not clear what people are talking about.

As for the same sex relationships...finally a cartoon that can represent that. I watched cartoons with straight people all my life and didn't have the choice. Kids nowadays are lucky and will grow much more accepting and free because of it...

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Ah so your saying it's gay because of the representation factor and not because of a "gay" aesthetics.... I didn't understand. Sorry. Specially because gay for for americans is so pejorative that's it's not clear what people are talking about.

As for the same sex relationships...finally a cartoon that can represent that. I watched cartoons with straight people all my life and didn't have the choice. Kids nowadays are lucky and will grow much more accepting and free because of it...
    I'm lost here? What same sex relationships? Closest thing I've seen to any sort of relationship is Seahawk liking Mermista and that's pretty one sided.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Netossa and Spinerella are offically a couple.

Bow is confirmed by the actor to have two dads.

Adora says in an episode that Sweet-Bee and Flutterina are dating.

Scorpia chrushes hard on Catra.

Catra and Adora have also a strong friendship bond that feels romantic at times.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Yeah, the sexual tension between Adora and Catra was ridiculous.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I just finished watching it, so I guess I should weigh in on my own thread.

I wasn't crazy about it, but I will say the later episodes were better. The simplistic character designs were boring to look at like a lot of animation these days. The little action that was in each episode up until the finale wasn't particularly exciting. There really wasn't anything eye-popping about this show at all, and given that it took place in a magical world, "eye-popping" should have been a slam dunk. I don't know how this was animated, but it looked like the cruddy flash animation that is often used these days.

Also, the whole tone of the show was way too sitcom-y and jokey for me -- and filled with goofy, awkward teenagers. This is where the show really lost me. If it had a more serious, dramatic tone, I could have rolled with it.

It's obviously aimed at today's pre-teens, which is to be expected, and that's ok. I hope they enjoyed it.
    The first season of Voltron was the same way. They toned down the slapstick and opted for more complex story lines and the show is amazing. The early anime slapstick tone allowed us to have the D & D episode, the shows greatest episode and easily one of the top 10 single episodes on a kid show this decade.

Stevenson has a 4-season arc planned. I wouldn't be surprised if they're using a similar format that Voltron used.

She-Ra is also a pre-teen show with teens as the stars. I don't think grimdark would help them ensnare their target demo. But I'm willing to bet money this show gets "edgier" as the show goes on.

She-Ra is also a show for girls, much like Stevenson's Lumber Janes. It's not going to go the route most people think as it's for girls.

My favorite parts of both shows is they deal with some pretty heavy story elements, are still kid friendly, and don't talk down to kids.

Catra and Adora have also a strong friendship bond that feels romantic at times.
    Yeah, the sexual tension between Adora and Catra was ridiculous.
    Catra touches everyone and then jumps back and admonishes/attacks/betrays them. She was playing with Entrapta's hair when she had her captive, too. I took it as her being more cat-like (one minute in your lap cuddling, next minute biting your hand) than her previous incarnations. Same goes for her bond with She-Ra.

Not everything has to be sexualized.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Sexual tension might be the wrong phrase, but the relationship between Adora, and Catra isn't hard to be read as a potentially romantic one. They very clearly had love for one-another. To what degree I would say is interpretable. Those lines easily blur, and they're not in a place to be anything but enemies at this point. I think it was an interesting road to go down.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Yeah no, I kinda see Adora and Catra as best friends before they went on opposing sides.

It seems in today's oversexualized world nobody can be seen as just friends anymore. Even best buddies are seen as a bromance nowadays. It's getting ridiculous.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

I don't really understand how people gran an old franchise and turn it into something completely different. Why don't you start your own new show?
    This was not anything like the old show, they just grabbed the names to get eyes on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I don't really understand how people gran an old franchise and turn it into something completely different. Why don't you start your own new show?
    This was not anything like the old show, they just grabbed the names to get eyes on this.
    A production company obtains the rights to an existing IP. They invite creative parties to pitch something using it. They move forward with the most promising option.

This scenario has no option to create your "own" show. Options to do so are extraordinarily rare within a company with a pre-existing library of content.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Yeah no, I kinda see Adora and Catra as best friends before they went on opposing sides.
    And that's cool if you see it that way. Isn't it fun that we can all have our own head canon?

adoracatra.jpg
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    It seems in today's oversexualized world nobody can be seen as just friends anymore. Even best buddies are seen as a bromance nowadays. It's getting ridiculous.
    With respect, the possibility* of two characters of the same sex caring for each other as more than just friends has very little to do with over sexualization in children's media. If it does, than it doesn't any more to do with it than two characters of the opposite sex expressing romantic feelings for one another. Peanuts isn't considered sexualized because Chuck Brown has a crush on the Little Red Haired girl.

*I'm assuming they're keeping it ambiguous for numerous reasons, but one of Noelle Stevenson's main goals with her all ages material has often been to reduce the taboo of same sex relationships in children's media. Whether that's in clearly defined relationships or just in subtext. I doubt it's accidental that people are reading into their relationship.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-20-2018 at 04:32 PM.