Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default About to start Supergirl Vol 5

What do I need to know going into this series?

Certain events from Infinite Crisis? Final Crisis? Crossovers with other books? And any other significant events?

All I know is this version is the first appearance of Kara Zor El since COIE. She made her debut in Superman/Batman: The Girl From Krypton.

If you have a basic understanding of who the major players are in Superman's corner of the world, you'll be fine. If you know who Clark Kent, Lois Lane, Darkseid, Wonder Woman and Batman are, everything else will fall into place. I feel like you can pick Kara's introduction up pretty dry and not get lost.

Now, as for major Kara moments that happened outside her own book.....I dunno man, I can think of several guest appearances, and involvement in big Events....but nothing stands out as "must read" material. Like, she was there for stuff. She helped out, had some lines of dialogue. But I don't recall her doing anything particularly noteworthy. Maybe I'm just forgetting stuff.

She did have a pretty fun friendship with Cassie Sandsmark (Wonder Girl) and Nightwing, and for a little while was hanging out with the younger Captain Boomerang (he was fun). But I don't think she had much of an impact on the DCU outside of her own book.

You should also be warned that this is considered by some to be a rocky time for Kara (and the Super brand as a whole). There's good stuff in there, but there's a whole pile of crap too. Very little consistency. If you want to buy every trade available, go for it. But if you want to be a little more choose-y about it and sift out the bad stuff, I'd recommend doing a little research on which trades/issues sound interesting to you.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

To be honest, I would start with Sterling Gates' run. You have to read New Krypton to understand it as part of the run intersects with New Krypton, but it is worth it as it is the best Supergirl had been since Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If you have a basic understanding of who the major players are in Superman's corner of the world, you'll be fine. If you know who Clark Kent, Lois Lane, Darkseid, Wonder Woman and Batman are, everything else will fall into place. I feel like you can pick Kara's introduction up pretty dry and not get lost.

Now, as for major Kara moments that happened outside her own book.....I dunno man, I can think of several guest appearances, and involvement in big Events....but nothing stands out as "must read" material. Like, she was there for stuff. She helped out, had some lines of dialogue. But I don't recall her doing anything particularly noteworthy. Maybe I'm just forgetting stuff.

She did have a pretty fun friendship with Cassie Sandsmark (Wonder Girl) and Nightwing, and for a little while was hanging out with the younger Captain Boomerang (he was fun). But I don't think she had much of an impact on the DCU outside of her own book.

You should also be warned that this is considered by some to be a rocky time for Kara (and the Super brand as a whole). There's good stuff in there, but there's a whole pile of crap too. Very little consistency. If you want to buy every trade available, go for it. But if you want to be a little more choose-y about it and sift out the bad stuff, I'd recommend doing a little research on which trades/issues sound interesting to you.
    So it sounds like her most significant appearance is in Superman: Brainiac?

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    To be honest, I would start with Sterling Gates' run. You have to read New Krypton to understand it as part of the run intersects with New Krypton, but it is worth it as it is the best Supergirl had been since Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    I read the first story and it was great.

Curious about what's happening in the Candor storyline. It just comes out of nowhere.

I just got done with issue 9.

At the end Woder Girl shows up at Kara apartment crying and asking if she can stay there. Kara then gives her the Superboy shirt that she had been wearing during her date with Boomerang.

Did Superboy die recently? I think he dis but can't remember when and how.

Also was Wonder girl dating him? Is that why she gave the shirt to her?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    I just got done with issue 9.

At the end Woder Girl shows up at Kara apartment crying and asking if she can stay there. Kara then gives her the Superboy shirt that she had been wearing during her date with Boomerang.

Did Superboy die recently? I think he dis but can't remember when and how.

Also was Wonder girl dating him? Is that why she gave the shirt to her?

Superboy died during Infinite Crisis, just a couple of months before Supergirl #9. He was Wonder Girl's boyfriend.

Legion of Super-Heroes was retitled Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes from issues #16–36. I don't remember there being much crossover from this book with her solo series, but there are some instances where it is relevant.

Default Supergirl is HOT!

Is what Supergirl Vol 5 wants us to never forget.

I know females in comics have always been over sexualized. That's just how it is.

But I'm starting to actually get annoyed at how many times whether through artwork or through dialogue this series wants to remind us that Kara Zor El is a scorching hot 16 year old girl.

Any other characters get it as bad as Supergirl?

Is she only sixteen in the current comics? If so, wow. You don't see many sixteen years olds who look like her. At least I don't. I agree she is pretty oversexualized. It is a bit ridiculous.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Is she only sixteen in the current comics? If so, wow. You don't see many sixteen years olds who look like her. At least I don't. I agree she is pretty oversexualized. It is a bit ridiculous.
    Not sure about the current comics but I'm talking about the 2005-2011 Supergirl series.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I merged your threads since they're in the same context.

But that was actually the one thing I loathed about that era. I just don't feel good about drawing a girl (maybe 16, definitely under 20) without regard for the fact that she isn't a woman. In fairness, Ed Benes of the previous volume was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I merged your threads since they're in the same context.

But that was actually the one thing I loathed about that era. I just don't feel good about drawing a girl (maybe 16, definitely under 20) without regard for the fact that she isn't a woman. In fairness, Ed Benes of the previous volume was worse.
    Oh ok. That's cool. I'll just post in this thread with any questions or comments I may have during my read.

But yeah she is SIXTEEN for sure. It's been mentioned at least once an issue. But other than that I'm really enjoying this series so far.

Although I'm kind of wondering why they decided to take out #11 from the first collection of The Girl of Steel and instead include it in the second collection Breaking the Chain.

Is this real? Kara Dad wants her to kill Kal El?? That was the reason he sent her to Earth?

Ha! Oh, gods, I forgot all about that!

Just keep reading.

As Deku said, the title doesn't really hit its stride until the Gates run. That's when it becomes consistently solid. Until then it's really rocky.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.