Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

The Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Legacy
    Nice one. On that note:

The Legend of Hell House

While I'm not really sure that I think it is "Obscure" for certain, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation.

Astonishing Member

Darkness Falls from 2003 isn't talked about much. I didn't see it until a few years after it came out. I thought it was a pretty good film. Really liked the guy who played the lead character, too. Shame he died. His acting was better than most horror films deserve. It also starred the actress who played Anya on Buffy.

The Stepfather the original film from the late 80's often gets overlooked. I remember the remake they about 10 years ago. I saw that first, discovered it was a remake, then checked this out. Thank god I did. Great film. Great acting by Terry O'Quinn, too.

Two South Korean films from 2016 come to mind:

Train To Busan A Zombie-Apocalypse thriller set on a passenger train. Certified

The Wailing A supernatural murder mystery set in a small South Korean town.

I'd classify them as obscure in the U.S.

Both are on Netflix and IMO are well worth checking out.

Two other films from the 70's:

Let's Scare Jessica To Death A physiological vampire thriller.

The Brood A Cronberg film about murderous children in hoodies beating people to death with hammers.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 09-23-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    EQUINOX. A 1970 low budget horror film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox_(film)

I watched this movie like 10 years ago. They showed it on TV. I don't know why I started watching but I did. Maybe something about it really caught my attention. It looked really cheap and the acting wasn't great, but it was quite intriguing! I think it's on youtube. I really want to see it again. I remember this character who was a demon, he had some really creepy eyes! I never forgot him...
    I saw this movie when I was 7 years old. Scared the living crap out of me.

Side note: On the Wiki page it lists the rather famous sci-fi author Frtitz Leiber as one of the cast.
    Edit: Calighoula mentioned this earlier too.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 09-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I'm not really sure that I think it is "Obscure" for certain, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation.
    Night of the Living Dead (the remake from 1990) might also qualify in a similar way. But its not my favorite by far.

So Next Gen is ok, huh?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Night of the Living Dead (the remake from 1990) might also qualify in a similar way. But its not my favorite by far.

So Next Gen is ok, huh?
    One guy's take...

Horror films tend to lean on "Gonzo"/"Crazy" sorts of characterizations. Think Baby and Otis in the Rob Zombie films they have been central characters in.

Matthew McConaughey in that film? Whether you believe that the film is a success or a failure, his performance is brilliant in either context.

Never mind Leatherface playing with the girl's hair on the porch swing. It's priceless.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Warlock (Julian Sands)
    This movie is a weird mix of time travel and Highlanderesque shenanigans, made in
    glorious 80s horror movie style. I love the dark humor and JSands makes a great villain.

The Witch (Anya Taylor)
    Reallyreally unsettling drama, fantastic performances, no idea if it is obscure enough

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One guy's take...

Horror films tend to lean on "Gonzo"/"Crazy" sorts of characterizations. Think Baby and Otis in the Rob Zombie films they have been central characters in.

Matthew McConaughey in that film? Whether you believe that the film is a success or a failure, his performance is brilliant in either context.

Never mind Leatherface playing with the girl's hair on the porch swing. It's priceless.
    From the guy who wrote Eaten Alive(1976) ?

Terror Train with Jamie Lee Curtis, imo it's her best horror film outside of the Halloween films.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    From the guy who wrote Eaten Alive(1976) ?
    I believe so.

It was a dumb question but I love Eaten I never looked at belt buckles the same way again

Here's one that the very definition of "B" and obscure: Bloodtide.

It's a 1982 film (that looks like it was shot in the '70s) starring James Earl Jones, José Ferrer, and none other than Martin "Kreese" Kove. Kove plays a traveler-treasure hunter who lands on a Greek isle with his lady. The villagers sacrifice hot young babes to the funniest-lookin' underwater sea dragon, I mean fearsome netherworld demon, you've ever seen. Seriously. The puppet is stupefyingly cheesy.

BUT...thankfully, you don't see the monster that much, and the monster really isn't the focus of the story. The movie doesn't rely on special effects. The cinematography's actually well done and the whole things sports a creepy vibe that lends itself well to the atmosphere. It's a move that you may actually grow to love to hate to love!

Speaking of 80s horror movie styles, Waxwork is a favorite of mine. Not sure it would be considered as obscure, though. But Michelle Johnson - woo woo!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.