Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Favourite obscure horror films?

Here's mine :

Shockwaves (70's) : Underwater Nazi zombie film with Peter Cushing. It opens with a shot of special German unit in WW2 that underwent a radical experiment to be able to breathe underwater, they show up decades later in the Caribbean. You half expect Hellboy to show up as well!

and Yours?

There are so many but I don't know what is considered obscure among the horror community so these are just great horror movies I don't hear anyone talk about.

Begotten (1990) Kind of gets boring towards the end but really creepy, weird stuff going on. The beginning is so disturbing.
    Gozu (2003) A weird japanese, Takashi Miike directed fantasy type horror. I described it in a review as a disturbing Alice in Wonderland with a brutal ending. I call it obscure because most people are going to talk about Audition or Ichi the Killer which are both better.
    Bloodstone: Subspecies II (1993) From the prime years of Full Moon where they had gems like Puppet Master, Meridian and Shadowzone. Subspecies II is one of my favorite vampire movies.
    The Dentist (1996) A bad 90s horror movie when they were doing stuff like Jack Frost and Uncle Sam and all those gimmick horror movies. I think the Dentist is really underrated.
    Street Trash (1987) Great movie but you have to like gore and really offensive humor. I love that stuff.

EQUINOX. A 1970 low budget horror film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox_(film)

I watched this movie like 10 years ago. They showed it on TV. I don't know why I started watching but I did. Maybe something about it really caught my attention. It looked really cheap and the acting wasn't great, but it was quite intriguing! I think it's on youtube. I really want to see it again. I remember this character who was a demon, he had some really creepy eyes! I never forgot him...
    Last edited by stargazer01; 09-10-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Galaxy of Terror will always be burned into my brain. *shudder*

Ultimate Member

So many to choose from. Lets see here:

-The Hitcher (1986).
    -Dog Soldiers (2002).
    -R-Point (2004).
    -Outpost (2008).
    -The Burrowers (2008).
    -Bone Tomahawk (2015).
    -The Changeling (1980).
    -The Entity (1982).

There is a movie, I wonder if anyone saw it. I think it's a great horror/thriller. It's called The Nature of the Beast starring Lance Henriksen and Eric Roberts. Has anyone seen this? Great movie. Sure the director is a pedophile... but Henriksen and Roberts give great performances and it's a really good movie.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    -The Changeling (1980).
    Is THE CHANGELING not well-known in the States? That George C. Scott movie was made in Vancouver--posing as Seattle--and was one of the first major motion pictures made in this city, just before the big boom of production that turned Vancouver into Hollywood North.

But maybe Americans don't know a lot of the horror movies that were made in Canada--other than all the David Cronenberg classics (including his early efforts like SHIVERS and RABID). I remember watching these late at night, after my parents had gone to bed, because the Canadian channels were allowed to broadcast movies with extreme violence, language and nudity at those late hours.

What about other made in Canada horrors like THE PYX (1973), BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974) and PROM NIGHT (1980)? Have Americans seen them?

Crash

-The Hitcher (1986).
    -Dog Soldiers (2002).
    -R-Point (2004).
    -Outpost (2008).
    -The Burrowers (2008).
    -Bone Tomahawk (2015).
    -The Changeling (1980).
    -The Entity (1982).
    Definitely watching some of these.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

-The Changeling (1980).

Great movie!!! I've recommended it to other people, and they always come back to let me know how much if freaked them out!

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    EQUINOX. A 1970 low budget horror film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox_(film)

I watched this movie like 10 years ago. They showed it on TV. I don't know why I started watching but I did. Maybe something about it really caught my attention. It looked really cheap and the acting wasn't great, but it was quite intriguing! I think it's on youtube. I really want to see it again. I remember this character who was a demon, he had some really creepy eyes! I never forgot him...
    In my estimation, this is a fine, very underrated occult-flavored horror film. Yes, the effects are archaic, but that's part of the appeal. The film takes its subject matter seriously, and it does boast a cameo by the late great Fritz Leiber.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

I saw this movie when I was 7 years old. Scared the living crap out of me.

Side note: On the Wiki page it lists the rather famous sci-fi author Frtitz Leiber as one of the cast.
    Edit: Calighoula mentioned this earlier too.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 09-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe