Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    There is a movie, I wonder if anyone saw it. I think it's a great horror/thriller. It's called The Nature of the Beast starring Lance Henriksen and Eric Roberts. Has anyone seen this? Great movie. Sure the director is a pedophile... but Henriksen and Roberts give great performances and it's a really good movie.
    Nature of the Beast is the flick's name. Directed by Jeepers Creepers creator Victor Salva.

Astonishing Member

A couple of my favorite obscure Universal Monsters horror movies.

Captive Wild Woman- The only female Universal Monster who's not a distaff character. Starring Acquanetta as Paula Dupree aka Cheela aka The Ape Woman. A mad scientist uses human glandular secretions to change an ape into a beautiful woman who is uncommonly strong and can scare off wild beasts with just a glance. She gets a job at the circus but things start to go south when she falls in love with the animal trainer. It's followed by two sequels: Jungle Woman and Jungle Captive.

Man Made Monster- (Sometimes called Atomic Monster). Lon Chaney Jr. plays Dan McCormick, a carnival performer who survives a severe bout of electrocution. An unscrupulous scientist sees potential and transforms him into a mindless, super-strong, electrically powered monster of a man (at least when fully charged). As if that isn't bad enough, things take a turn for the worse when Dan is framed for murder and sent to the electric chair.

Those are just a couple of them. I like all sorts of obscure horror movies from the '30s and '40s. "Island of Lost Souls", "Mad Love", "The Devil's Doll", "The Mad Ghoul", "Murders in the Zoo", etc.

Tourist Trap and Late Phases

Still flying

There was a film called Doom Generation that came out in 1995 that always stuck with me. Not really horror until the end, then it goes batshit crazy https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112887/

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    -The Changeling (1980).
    Is THE CHANGELING not well-known in the States? That George C. Scott movie was made in Vancouver--posing as Seattle--and was one of the first major motion pictures made in this city, just before the big boom of production that turned Vancouver into Hollywood North.

But maybe Americans don't know a lot of the horror movies that were made in Canada--other than all the David Cronenberg classics (including his early efforts like SHIVERS and RABID). I remember watching these late at night, after my parents had gone to bed, because the Canadian channels were allowed to broadcast movies with extreme violence, language and nudity at those late hours.

What about other made in Canada horrors like THE PYX (1973), BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974) and PROM NIGHT (1980)? Have Americans seen them?

Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So many to choose from. Lets see here:

-The Hitcher (1986).
    -Dog Soldiers (2002).
    -R-Point (2004).
    -Outpost (2008).
    -The Burrowers (2008).
    -Bone Tomahawk (2015).
    -The Changeling (1980).
    -The Entity (1982).
    Definitely watching some of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Definitely watching some of these.
    Bone Tomahawk might actually be Kurt Russell's best film. It is easily the best work I am aware of Matthew Fox doing.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Bone Tomahawk might actually be Kurt Russell's best film. It is easily the best work I am aware of Matthew Fox doing.
    Oh damn, you could be right. I remember the reviews for the movie were positively glowing, from mainstream critics to horror genre critics and bloggers.

The film is brilliant, period. Never mind if you decide to just judge it against "Horror" films(which I don't really see it as).

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
    Wait a minute...

This one is obscure?

Two sisters, a Korean movie from 2003.

Not sure how obscure (or not) that movie is in the states. But that's definitely one of the most disturbing movie i have ever watch.

I'd like to recommend a British horror mystery that came out last year that hardly anyone saw and no one talks about. It's called The Limehouse Golem (pronounced GO-lem, not GOL-lum). It stars Bill Nighy (not Bill Nye, Bill Nighy) and Olivia Cooke. Here's the trailer,

Last edited by James T. Kirk; 09-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Best of the Worst is a good source for little known horror flicks.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Wait a minute...

This one is obscure?
    Yea, I tend to think it is. If many listed so far are deemed "obscure."
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”