Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Who is more interesting as a character: Batman? or Superman?

Superman:

Was raised on a farm by two loving step-parents who either died when he was either 18 (Golden Age-Bronze Age, New 52 and Reborn) or survived to see Clark become Superman as an adult (Modern Age) after instilling good morals and values in him.

Moved to Metropolis after traveling the world and studying Journalism, where he works a 9-5 job as a reporter for the Daily Star and later the Daily Planet (depending on the incarnation of the character).

Is either a bachelor, dating. or actually married with a wife and has a son.

Becomes Superman because he wants to help people, such as those who are trampled over by the majority of the rich folks.

Actually has a sense of humor.

Pretty sure that's enough to say that Superman is not only a more interesting character, but also actually relatable in contrast to Batman.

Shaking my head.jpg
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Being on the Superman forum is probably the worst place to gather a balanced opinion.

Well Batman is the worst because there are probably more posters, haha.

No but seriously.

BANNED

Superman, f@$k batman

BANNED

This is largely subjective but Batman has had greater quantity of good/great stories, his cast of villains and supporting characters is superior and he's more versatile in terms of use.

BANNED

I really miss the version of Batman who wasn't a psychopath, became Batman because he wanted to save people, had a sense of (dry) humour, didn't make plans to defeat his allies...

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Batman without a doubt, but only if he's human with human limits.
    If we speak about batgod dealing with foes as Darkseid or about batrobot or something like that, then i prefer Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I really miss the version of Batman who wasn't a psychopath, became Batman because he wanted to save people, had a sense of (dry) humour, didn't make plans to defeat his allies...
    Same here.
    I'd vote for that Batman.

As it is currently, I'd say 'neither'.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

For me its Superman. His personality is way more complex in my opinion. There's more that you can do with the character. His stories can go from pulpy noir to cosmic in scope, sometimes in the same story and it just makes sense. The mythology around the character is just more appealing to me. I like the Fortress of Solitude more than the batcave, his profession outside of being Superman lends itself to great stories and is more interesting to me than the billionaire corporate playboy philanthropist persona of Bruce Wayne. Clark Kent can be used to investigate mysteries of the type Batman stories delve into, but Batman looks rather ridiculous in the types of stories Superman generally finds himself in on a regular basis in my opinion. The story where Batman was bouncing from life to life because of the Omega Sanction for example always seemed a bit off for a Batman story. It seemed disjointed to me. I don't know, Superman just seems to have a broader scope and more can be done with him.

LIKE NIGHT AND DAY...

OR... Yin / Yang

How about finding them both interesting, for how different they are.

---

Yet also appreciating how they work great together.

Is that allowed?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-29-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Depends on the writer(s).

I like both, and both have their appeal, but I personally think Superman's a far more dynamic, complex character. Batman is fun, but he's relatively shallow (easily the thinnest character of the Trinity), while with Clark the old saying "still waters run deep" rings true and the more you get into him the more interesting and cooler he becomes.

Batman's made more money over the last thirty years. Superman wore the crown for the previous fifty. And you can see, especially in the modern era, how DC's bias has allowed Bruce's corner of the DCU to grow and flourish while Clark's has been beset by restarts and huge direction shifts. But all that put aside, at their core, I find Superman a better, more interesting, more admirable character than Batman.

But I do love me some Nightwing!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Neither?

I like Clark when he's Clark. Enjoying writing, raising Jon, but as a Superman, he's... pretty much what everyone thinks he is. His value is more as a symbol than a character. In other words I'm more interested in his civilian life than his superhero life.

Batman's just annoying. It's only so much I can read of someone being sad before I wish he can just move on, especially when half his sadness comes from sacrificing main characters of other books, be it dead Robins or almost dead former Robins.

Batman.

10 characters

BANNED

To me, it's Superman; by far!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Depends on the writer(s).
    This. Both characters can be really awesome, or really bad. It just depends on who's writing it.