Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Dick and Bruce didn't even truly reconcile until they decided to retell Dick's origin as part of Batman: Year 3 and A Lonely Place of Dying after A Death in the Family (when Bruce was on a bit of a careless rampage and Alfred called in Dick to see if he could at least get through to him) after CoIE while Wally, Roy and Charlie took even longer to come to some sort of reconciliation with their mentors.

862039.jpg

732075.jpg

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Dick and Bruce didn't even truly reconcile until they decided to retell Dick's origin as part of Batman: Year 3 and A Lonely Place of Dying after A Death in the Family (when Bruce was on a bit of a careless rampage and Alfred called in Dick to see if he could at least get through to him) after CoIE while Wally, Roy and Charlie took even longer to come to some sort of reconciliation with their mentors.

862039.jpg

732075.jpg
    Wally and Barry never had a falling out to reconcile until very recently. They were the one sidekick/mentor pairing that remained stable through the years.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Wally and Barry never had a falling out to reconcile until very recently. They were the one sidekick/mentor pairing that remained stable through the years.

Umm… didn’t Wally and Barry have a falling out during Bates’ run? I thought that was why Wally testified against Barry during Barry’s trial.

Retired

The original origin story for Roy and Oliver, from the early 1940s, is pretty fun as these two really don't get along when they first meet. Not to the level of Sub-Mariner/Human Torch, but they don't take to each other. Roy is a country boy, and Oliver is a city slicker. It's actually Roy's outfit, perhaps inspired by his Native American mentor, that's the model for the suits the Battling Bowmen wear.

Even in the later retcon of Roy's origin story, he fails to impress Green Arrow at first. In both origins, Oliver takes over Roy's guardianship from an indigenous master of archery. And in both Oliver's origins, he chooses green as camouflage.

I think that classic comics were successful in telegraphing the character relationships through the art. Green Arrow and Speedy dress alike; therefore, they're kindred souls. Batman and Robin didn't do that. Following this logic, I guess that Ollie changing his wardrobe, while Speedy stuck with his classic look, should have been an indication that they had grown apart.

But maybe we shouldn't look for deep reasons why Roy turned to drugs. The message of the O'Neil/Adams story was that anyone at all could end up on drugs. You can't smugly think that you and yours are safe and it's the problem of other people's families. So not explaining why Roy got hooked sends the clearer message. However, it does make Ollie look bad.

Umm… didn’t Wally and Barry have a falling out during Bates’ run? I thought that was why Wally testified against Barry during Barry’s trial.
    I don't remember it being a falling out. Wally testified because he was compelled by law to do so, and was reluctant all the way. Barry actually praised Wally for complying with the law and doing what he needed to do. There was no bad blood between them over that, during or after.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But maybe we shouldn't look for deep reasons why Roy turned to drugs. The message of the O'Neil/Adams story was that anyone at all could end up on drugs. You can't smugly think that you and yours are safe and it's the problem of other people's families. So not explaining why Roy got hooked sends the clearer message. However, it does make Ollie look bad.
    Especially considering that Ollie spent much of that run dressing Hal down for being clueless about social problems.

I don't remember it being a falling out. Wally testified because he was compelled by law to do so, and was reluctant all the way. Barry actually praised Wally for complying with the law and doing what he needed to do. There was no bad blood between them over that, during or after.

i’ll check it out and see for myself. But I’m pretty sure that either in Wolfman‘s run or Cary Bates run that they had a bit of a falling out if not a true falling out.

I was pretty sure that something started between them in the aftermath of The Death of Iris Allen arc/storyline.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

i’ll check it out and see for myself. But I’m pretty sure that either in Wolfman‘s run or Cary Bates run that they had a bit of a falling out if not a true falling out.

I was pretty sure that something started between them in the aftermath of The Death of Iris Allen arc/storyline.
    I remember seeing a cover in which Wally is condemning Barry on the stand (not that it means the story is actually like that).

I really need to hunt down the trial issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I remember seeing a cover in which Wally is condemning Barry on the stand (not that it means the story is actually like that).

I really need to hunt down the trial issues.
    The cover in question:

And the cover *is* misleading. Wally was only doing what he was compelled by law to do, and with great reluctance. Barry rightfully did not blame Wally at all, though he did lament that circumstances had led to Wally being put into such a position.

Retired

That's how you do a DC cover!

The cover in question:

And the cover *is* misleading. Wally was only doing what he was compelled by law to do, and with great reluctance. Barry rightfully did not blame Wally at all, though he did lament that circumstances had led to Wally being put into such a position.

Thanks Buried, knew you'd come through.

Clickbait before clickbait eh?

Yup. Back then, it was called "Buybait."

Comic covers created clickbait.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

So who are John Stewart's closest "work-friends" outside of the other GL's?

Retired

John married one of his work friends, but that didn't work out so well--for her.