Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Hmmm... during the Satellite Era, Hal was the carefree guy that would stop in from space or wherever and get along with everybody (well except for Batman sometimes which is where Morrison and Johns got that from)

Is it me, or was Hal looking a little "Hoff-like" on that page? ("Hal-selhoff?")
    HALselhoff.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah, they certainly had their bad blood during the Satellite Era

Which was revisited here...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ollie even cheated on Dinah with Jeff's niece
    That's Ollie! *giggity*

12728_10151273020247674_20666379_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Is it me, or was Hal looking a little "Hoff-like" on that page? ("Hal-selhoff?")
    HALselhoff.jpg
    *Ah* Twas the cost of having feathered hair during the 70's and 80's looking at photos of my father. :P

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Ralph Dibny - Elongated Man. Stretching ability like Plastic Man.
    Thanks. I've heard of EM (something about him being created because someone didn't know DC owned Plastic Man?), but not read anything with him in and didn't know his real name.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Friends:
    Beetle and Booster
    Fire and Ice

Strictly co-workers:
    Everyone and Batman
    Everyone and Guy Gardner
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Barry Allen is physically incapable of not being friends with absolutely everyone, but he's closest to Hal & Ralph. The only Leaguer who rubs him the wrong way is Ollie, who he considers a loudmouthed rich blowhard.

Much like Ollie, Hal Jordan rubs almost everyone the wrong way, particularly Batman, whom Hal goes out of his way to annoy. However, I think there is a deep-well of mutual respect between the two. As Bendis has been having fun with, Hal desperately wants to be best buds with Superman, who is too damned Midwestern and polite to ever rebuff his advances. Hal has tried literally every possible way of flirting with Wonder Woman over the years to no avail, because Diana delights in pretending to not notice and completely ignoring him

Agreed on Hawkman, with the notable exceptions of Shayera & Ray Palmer, who is also a bit of a loner.

Ted, Booster & Scott are old buddies and still go out for beers regularly, as shown so well by King & Gerads recently.

I never understood Meltzer's idea that Aquaman & J'Onn are secret best buds. Aside from their brief time together as the only two JLA founders in JL Detroit, I don't see the connection there. Is there some story where these two bonded or something?

I don't think Dinah & Diana are particularly close. I think they both respect each other quite a bit, but Diana is too damned intimidating to a lot of women. They look at this perfect goddess and only see their own failings.

Ollie & Bruce get along well enough because they both recognize that, at heart, they are cut from the exact same cloth. They are both rich kids who've bought their way into Olympus to stand alongside the Gods. As result, I think Ollie is more competitive with Bruce because he recognizes that he's always going to be seen as a lesser version of Batman.

Zatanna is an outlier. She's closest to Barry, but she keeps her distance from most. She doesn't particularly like being on a team. She likes all the attention to be on her.

The various GLs share a much stronger bond these days, with Simon & Jessica being close. Jessica viewing Hal as a father figure who she both idolizes in an unhealthy manner while also rebelling against to show her own independence. Guy still hates Hal, but only because he's jealous of him. In his dreams, Guy Gardner wants to be as cool as Hal Jordan and never will be. Hal & Kyle have a big brother/little brother thing going on. John & Guy are very tight. John & Kyle less so. John & Hal's relationship is extremely complicated. I would love to see a deep dive on these two and how they both love and hate each other. Alan Scott privately disaproves of all of them and considers them all a bunch of reckless hotshots.

Jay Garrick loves everyone.
    Agreed on pretty much all of this.

I think the Trinity are all close, but Clark's the glue that holds them together. They get together outside of work on a fairly regular basis.

Regarding Arthur and Diana: I think their royal status puts up a wall around them, to a degree, that makes it hard for them to be close to the rest of the League. Their first loyalties are to their nations, their ultimate end-goals are different, and they touch on the topic of politics, which the League tries to avoid. Diana is just intimidating as hell, too. And Arthur's kind of a broody, grumpy, gruff bastard sometimes. And I think the League thinks he's arrogant beyond his ability.

I think Barry and Bruce are good workplace friends, edging right up to having a real, actual friendship. Bruce is certainly closer to Barry than anyone other than Clark and Diana, but Barry is closing the gap on her.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    JLA Year One had the 5 members all interact on a personal level, and I remember J'onn and Aquaman relating to an extent on the basis of being seen as outsiders. They've also collaborated with telepathy a couple of times.
    That makes sense, I guess. I just never saw any strong connection between the two. I think both J'Onn & Aquaman are both very solitary guys frequently put in group situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think the Trinity are all close, but Clark's the glue that holds them together. They get together outside of work on a fairly regular basis.
    I feel like that role shifts between Diana and Clark depending on the writer, although more often then not I think Diana is the middle-ground between Clark and Bruce (and ever the mediator).
    Regarding Arthur and Diana: I think their royal status puts up a wall around them, to a degree, that makes it hard for them to be close to the rest of the League. Their first loyalties are to their nations, their ultimate end-goals are different, and they touch on the topic of politics, which the League tries to avoid. Diana is just intimidating as hell, too. And Arthur's kind of a broody, grumpy, gruff bastard sometimes. And I think the League thinks he's arrogant beyond his ability.
    I think a lot of that is true for Post-Crisis Aquaman, although I think current Aquaman is more open to putting his own morals and ideals as a hero ahead of Atlantis and is probably one of the nicer members of the League once you get to know him.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    There have been a couple instances with the two of them seeking help and assistance from each other on more personal matters, especially with Simone. Wonder Woman asked for infiltration help from Black Canary, and got a makeover party in Simone's WW run, and Black Canary asked Wonder Woman for a combined full-contact counselling session back in Birds of Prey 68 (also by Simone).

I think it's more that many comics writers have trouble writing female friendship.
    Bingo. Hopefully, as more talented female writers get to work on the DCU, we'll see this change. For too long, Gail Simone and, to a lesser extent, Devin Grayson, were the only female voices contributing to the larger DCU. Louise Simonson only wrote on the Superman books, so we never got to see her take on anyone else. Jodi Picoult & Shea Fontana never really expanded beyond the WW title. The contributions of Dani Thomas are difficult to even know because she was always a co-writer.

Retired

The first couple of years that Ralph was in DETECTIVE COMICS (1964 & 1965), he would team up with Batman once a year. This was going to be an ongoing annual tradition, but I guess sales didn't prove to be enough on those first two team-ups; however, there was still considerable crossover between Ralph and Batman outside of that. They were, at least, work buddies if not outright friends.

Given that Roy, Wally, Dick and Garth were all great friends in the Teen Titans, I find it had to believe that Green Arrow, Flash, Batman and Aquaman didn't share a common bond through their younger cohorts.

The DC women may have their little spats, but when it comes right down to it they're all sensation sisters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Thanks. I've heard of EM (something about him being created because someone didn't know DC owned Plastic Man?), but not read anything with him in and didn't know his real name.
    You're welcome. It's funny you say that because ironically, Ralph never hid his identity. The world knew that Elongated Man was actually Ralph Dibny - at least in the comic books. lol

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    HALselhoff.jpg
    Makes me wish we could have gotten a GL film in the 1980s.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The first couple of years that Ralph was in DETECTIVE COMICS (1964 & 1965), he would team up with Batman once a year. This was going to be an ongoing annual tradition, but I guess sales didn't prove to be enough on those first two team-ups; however, there was still considerable crossover between Ralph and Batman outside of that. They were, at least, work buddies if not outright friends.

Given that Roy, Wally, Dick and Garth were all great friends in the Teen Titans, I find it had to believe that Green Arrow, Flash, Batman and Aquaman didn't share a common bond through their younger cohorts.

The DC women may have their little spats, but when it comes right down to it they're all sensation sisters.

Maybe I'm just being thick, but is that Lois Lane between Supergirl and Hawkgirl?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Maybe I'm just being thick, but is that Lois Lane between Supergirl and Hawkgirl?
    Yes, it is. Dick Giordano used to be LOIS LANE's cover artist (in the early 1970s).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like that role shifts between Diana and Clark depending on the writer, although more often then not I think Diana is the middle-ground between Clark and Bruce (and ever the mediator).
    When Bruce and Clark are in one of their "frenemy" phases, yeah I think that's probably true.

I think the Trinity's dynamic is pretty interesting, really. They're more like close family than friends; there's a lot they don't have in common, they but heads fairly often. But they're there for each other and watch each other's backs, and love and deeply respect each other.

I think a lot of that is true for Post-Crisis Aquaman, although I think current Aquaman is more open to putting his own morals and ideals as a hero ahead of Atlantis and is probably one of the nicer members of the League once you get to know him.
    They do seem to be downplaying it these days, but I think we've still seen Orin put Atlantis first. Didn't he become an outlaw in order to protect his kingdom a couple years ago?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Diana really needs more girlfriends.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.