Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Retired

Oliver had a good relationship with Roy up until Denny O'Neil came along. After that, Oliver acted like Roy was hardly that important in his life. Hal and Dinah gave the kid more attention than Ollie. But I just think that's writers trying to push the characters in certain directions, whether it makes sense or not.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Whenever I've been talking about the original Titans I've only been thinking about them as kids and teens. Not their later years but I agree with what you're saying.
    Yeah, I don't think Hal had much interest in hanging out with a bunch of teenagers, which is why he never got a kid sidekick, aside from Kario his extremely short-lived and inexplicable "Venusian Junior Test Pilot Helper" from a handful of mid-1960s cartoons. I think he always treated the Teen Titans well, and was viewed as an approachable uncle figure for a lot of them to complain about their mentors, but otherwise I don't think he spent a whole lot of time with them outside of Roy and Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Hal had much interest in hanging out with a bunch of teenagers, which is why he never got a kid sidekick, aside from Kario his extremely short-lived and inexplicable "Venusian Junior Test Pilot Helper" from a handful of mid-1960s cartoons. I think he always treated the Teen Titans well, and was viewed as an approachable uncle figure to a lot of them to complain about their mentors to, but otherwise I don't think he spent a whole lot of time with them outside of Roy and Wally.
    He also had Tom Kalmaku, who was pretty much the closest thing he had to a sidekick.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He also had Tom Kalmaku, who was pretty much the closest thing he had to a sidekick.
    Yeah, and Tom was an adult married man. Even before Englehart magically aged Arisia up for that horribly ill-advised romance, Hal never seemed that interested in being a mentor figure to her, although the fact that she had a schoolgirl crush on him probably contributed a lot to him keeping his distance. I believe Waid had a similar hook with Hal and Supergirl.

Why on Earth these middle-aged writers keep having Hal fending off the advances of teenage girls is a whole other matter that I am not touching with a ten-foot pole. I just wish they'd stop doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Oliver had a good relationship with Roy up until Denny O'Neil came along. After that, Oliver acted like Roy was hardly that important in his life. Hal and Dinah gave the kid more attention than Ollie. But I just think that's writers trying to push the characters in certain directions, whether it makes sense or not.

Honestly I think it's a great addition because it adds pathos and character development for both of them.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Heh. I always found it kind of funny that the one guy in the league who didn't have a sidekick (Hal/GL) had a better relationship with the original Teen Titans than most of them did with their own mentors.

Attachment 70716
    Hal might be the best Uncle not named Ben Parker, or Ben Grimm.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I would think that the cops on the league would get along since they have that in common.

You have Hal Jordan the space cop. Barry the Police scientist . Hawkman the Thanagaranian cop. And Martian Manhunter as detective John Jones. Batman is also a detective but he doesn't do it professionally.

I think these guys would get along just based on that. Would be cool to see them deal with a situation and each other from that perspective.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Honestly I think it's a great addition because it adds pathos and character development for both of them.
    Quiet frankly, I don't think Oliver and Roy had much of a defined relationship before 'Snowbirds Don't Fly'. It was the same old Batman-Robin dynamic, with Oliver as Bruce and Roy as Dick.

Its why I like the New 52 and Rebirth takes on Roy's backstory. We get a much better sense of Oliver and Roy's relationship and what ultimately drove Roy to addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I would think that the cops on the league would get along since they have that in common.

You have Hal Jordan the space cop. Barry the Police scientist . Hawkman the Thanagaranian cop. And Martian Manhunter as detective John Jones. Batman is also a detective but he doesn't do it professionally.

I think these guys would get along just based on that. Would be cool to see them deal with a situation and each other from that perspective.
    The League has had a lot of detectives and actual law enforcement involved...on-top of magicians, royalty, celebrities, and even a demon or two .

Doing the women of the League is trickier, because it's seldom more than one or two on the teams at the same time.

At least Gail Simone have established Diana and Dinah as close friends, and Paul Dini has shown Dinah and Zatanna as being close. Zatanna and Diana is complex; my impression is that they are like and trust each other, but that Zatanna is insecure about her magical skills and knowledge around Diana. Zatanna would have no trouble asking Diana for advice or help on personal matters, but on magical and professional stuff she'd rather ask someone else. And Diana is too polite to push on this unless absolutely necessary.

I know too little about Hawkgirl or Vixen to be able to say something about them. Supergirl obviously sees Diana as one of her closest mentors and confidantes.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I know too little about Hawkgirl or Vixen to be able to say something about them. Supergirl obviously sees Diana as one of her closest mentors and confidantes.
    I think Kendra was closer with the JSA ladies then she was with any of the women on the League when she was a member.

And Supergirl and Batgirl are usually best friends in most continuities, or at least are a common team-up like Batman and Superman are.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Always loved that one.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

At least Gail Simone have established Diana and Dinah as close friends, and Paul Dini has shown Dinah and Zatanna as being close. Zatanna and Diana is complex; my impression is that they are like and trust each other, but that Zatanna is insecure about her magical skills and knowledge around Diana. Zatanna would have no trouble asking Diana for advice or help on personal matters, but on magical and professional stuff she'd rather ask someone else. And Diana is too polite to push on this unless absolutely necessary.
    They are actually dealing with this between Zatanna and WW in the fantastic Justice League Dark now.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    They are actually dealing with this between Zatanna and WW in the fantastic Justice League Dark now.
    Ayup; I picked most of the dynamics between Zatanna and Diana from JMS's "Ladies' Night" and the current JLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Yeah. This seemed to set the tone for the relationships between a lot of sidekicks and their mentors for a while.

Dick and Bruce, Barry and Wally, Katar and Charlie, etc, all sort of fell out with their mentors before CoIE as well.