Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    personally, i don't see it as being the same. having your arm cut off by a portal closing on it and having it cut off by a energy sword are two really different things.
    Depends how you look at it.

From a scientific point of view, portal bisection is much more interesting.
    From the perspective of a coroner doing an autopsy, there really doesn't seem to be any major difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You're talking about a hypothetical starwars battle and I'm talking about Infinity War lol. where Cull's fore arm was clearly chopped off and yes his hand was smoking on the ground and ash was in the air. There's nothing to explain or justify. Anybody can see it for what it is as long as they're not engaging in fanboy histrionics.
    Go google Cull's arm chopped off in IW and a bunch of stuff will come up. I'm not gonna explain anymore. Better yet we seem to have problems communicating with each other so let's just stop.
    It's an analogy. Now who's being too literal ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Yes, the arm looked cauterized and blah blah. I still don't see the mechanism being altogether similar to say a lightsaber.

Im of the opinion it's more like Cthulhu said. Geography is not your friend with a portal lol. The heat effect may have just been an artistic liberation. Or a conscious effort to avoid excess gore with a movie they knew kids would watch. *shrugs*

Btw, you ever track down more durability feats for team Transformer?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Depends how you look at it.

From a scientific point of view, portal bisection is much more interesting.
    From the perspective of a coroner doing an autopsy, there really doesn't seem to be any major difference.
    Yeah cut-off is cut-off. The whole point was to show cull's vulnerability to energy weapons.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Yes, the arm looked cauterized and blah blah. I still don't see the mechanism being altogether similar to say a lightsaber.

Im of the opinion it's more like Cthulhu said. Geography is not your friend with a portal lol. The heat effect may have just been an artistic liberation. Or a conscious effort to avoid excess gore with a movie they knew kids would watch. *shrugs*

Btw, you ever track down more durability feats for team Transformer?
    Artistic liberation and MCU films don't go together lol. The dragon in Ragnarok had blood and guts when his head got cut off by the Bifrost.Optimus's energon axe heats up to 1000 degrees Celsius. Still looking for Tf durability feats.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    It's an analogy. Now who's being too literal ?
    I can see your analogy but I'm not being too literal. I'm pointing out what actually happened in the movie.

I can see your analogy but I'm not being too literal. I'm pointing out what actually happened in the movie.
    Ok, look at it a different way. Wonder Woman and Spiderman are specifically weak against bullets and sharp objects in their comics despite taking waaay more damage than "bullets" from other sources consistently. Especially Wonder Woman, who has survived nuclear detonations and blows from Superman. This is because they are specifically weak against piercing weapons/damage. It's a point of character. It's a plot point.

This is /true/ compartmentalized durability. A distinct weakness to certain types of damage.

Thanos, Cull and so on do not have any sort of compartmentalized durability as a point of narration, context or subtext. It's complete assumption that Cull has a weakness to energy attacks. Especially when we see Cull laughing of Super Tony repulsor blasts.

The safer and more evidence friendly argument is that the portal can "cut real gud yo". Comfortably severing Hulk level creatures.

If your follow up point is going to be the Wakandan energy barrier, just remember it seems to immolate objects flying at 1000 mph the size of skyscrapers. So. It's not crazy it got him. Unlike the Outriders, he was dragged along a great portion of the thing at speed while attached to an explosive jet pack lol.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

And, just fyi, 1000° C is not really hot enough to matter. Steel needs like 1200 C to melt iirc. So unless you think Thanos and crew are less durable than steel, we need to judge that Axe based on it's performances. What's the toughest thing it's cut?
    - big_adventure

And yet you're failing to grasp the difference, to say nothing of the points Arbiter just made.

Also, if the blade really is only 1000°C that's more of a knock against the durability of the Transformers side, that's really not very hot, as again, you need ~1400°C for Steel.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

As an aside, and as a somewhat tasteless joke. Cthulhu formerly petitions for "Energon Swords can't melt Steel Beams" to be a meme.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Optimus and the rest of the Autobots literally transform *into* cars and retain the same mass, so that argument really doesn't hold water. The dinobots are only, what, 2 or 3 times the mass of your everage Transformer?
    Optimus Prime transforms into a semi truck and apparently weighs 4.3 tons. The car's Maw lifted are probably like 2x lighter than him alone.

The dinobots are massive, idk what Maw is supposed to do here besides throw cars at them or something, which will be incredibly ineffective. Thanos and Cull are the only relevant ones here.

Sidenote: Optimus prime punching a charging giant metal dinosaur that weighs dozens of tons has got to be a pretty good feat no?

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Thinking about it, Grimlock is 3 times taller than Optimus prime, but he would be 27 times heavier. So he'd be more than 100 tons. Much smaller than a Leviathan, so still not good enough to beat Thanos or Cull.

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    Optimus Prime transforms into a semi truck and apparently weighs 4.3 tons. The car's Maw lifted are probably like 2x lighter than him alone.

The dinobots are massive, idk what Maw is supposed to do here besides throw cars at them or something, which will be incredibly ineffective. Thanos and Cull are the only relevant ones here.

Sidenote: Optimus prime punching a charging giant metal dinosaur that weighs dozens of tons has got to be a pretty good feat no?
    I actually am onboard with just about everything you have suggested personally. Maw can provide distraction and run interference, but Cull and Thanos are the guys doing work here.

And yeah, that Dino Punch was legit. Not quite space whale punch level, but a really solid feat regardless.
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I actually am onboard with just about everything you have suggested personally. Maw can provide distraction and run interference, but Cull and Thanos are the guys doing work here.

And yeah, that Dino Punch was legit. Not quite space whale punch level, but a really solid feat regardless.
    Could Maw improv a fastball special by throwing Cull at the robots?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.