Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default protect collected editions

Quote Originally Posted by osakafanz View Post
    Especially those thick TPBs and HCs?
    One of our in-house comic book experts, Rik Lok, has over 30 years of experience in buying, appraising and researching comics. He has written for various publications about his comic strip research, and he has some advice on how to keep your comic books in perfect condition. Read on to learn more: https://docsbay.net/tips-for-keeping...fect-condition

Quote Originally Posted by vivekpandey View Post
    One of our in-house comic book experts, Rik Lok, has over 30 years of experience in buying, appraising and researching comics. He has written for various publications about his comic strip research, and he has some advice on how to keep your comic books in perfect condition. Read on to learn more: https://docsbay.net/tips-for-keeping...fect-condition
    Thanks man I wonder what's the logic behind placing HCs horizontally hmmm

Please keep your recommendations coming guys!

Most libraries only store books horizontally if they reach a certain size; I believe 15" and up is the norm. Stacking books, in general, tends to put undue stress on book spines; however, some books are so large that standing them upright would degrade them faster than stacking them horizontally.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 08-26-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Wonder how high do u guys dare to stack up your collected editions horizontally...

I protect my older comics by refusing to read newer comics with the same characters.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    I protect my older comics by refusing to read newer comics with the same characters.
    What era do u read up to?

Quote Originally Posted by osakafanz View Post
    What era do u read up to?
    I stopped collecting comics about 15 years ago. Just got back into reading comics earlier this year, but instead of buying new stuff, I'm just rereading my old collection. So far, I've bought exactly 3 back issues from 1988 and 1995 to fill in gaps in my collection, so those are the only comics I've bought since 2004.

I'm mostly joking about refusing to read anything newer. I don't really refuse, but nothing I've seen has motivated me to want to buy any newer comics. Especially since it'll probably take 2 years or more to finish rereading all the comics I already own.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    I stopped collecting comics about 15 years ago. Just got back into reading comics earlier this year, but instead of buying new stuff, I'm just rereading my old collection. So far, I've bought exactly 3 back issues from 1988 and 1995 to fill in gaps in my collection, so those are the only comics I've bought since 2004.

I'm mostly joking about refusing to read anything newer. I don't really refuse, but nothing I've seen has motivated me to want to buy any newer comics. Especially since it'll probably take 2 years or more to finish rereading all the comics I already own.
    I'm in a similar boat as I havent really collected anything in probably 15 yrs also. The comic book movies and TV boom has gotten me much more into wanting to check out some of the bigger storylines that I have missed out on, though. I started by picking up Planet Hulk and Civil War. I still don't pick up hardly any newer issues, but have been picking up more recent TPB and a few HC books.

Incredible Member

This seemed like the best place for this:

I finally decided to make some book shoes for my larger Omnibuses to guard against page sagging. I was dusting shelves the other day and I noticed that some of the page sagging was actually starting to curl the corners of the pages (Man-Thing for sample)0DAA2ECD-C810-446A-98FE-0C6385CF989A.jpg 9545197E-02BC-48C5-B9AE-B2AA0D225829.jpg

I picked up some 3/16” thick acid free foam core sheets to make the shoes fromC28F197A-9B2E-474A-B128-A6C715B927AD.jpg (continued next post for picture limit per post)
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Incredible Member

I measured out the book and cut a rectangle slightly smaller than the book and cut and labeled it on the bottom side so I can easily rematch if I ever have to move the collection. image.jpg

It straightened the page block right up and it is now fully supported from spine to page end. And the top flattened right out and the spine is no longer flattening at the top from being pulled down onEAEEC294-0887-4DBA-B9F8-C34C4E50E0CF.jpg378E2CCC-6879-470B-92F1-A69640AADE6D.jpg

I was always some what skeptical and thought the people doing this were a bit paranoid, but after seeing the page curl I would recommend this to anyone who is REALLY concerned with the condition of there books. I will update how many books I was able to get from the pack of foam board. I think it was like $15 on Amazon.

Edit: I was able to get 111 books out of the 2 sheets with almost no scrap.
    Last edited by Brewman; 12-20-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I measured out the book and cut a rectangle slightly smaller than the book and cut and labeled it on the bottom side so I can easily rematch if I ever have to move the collection. image.jpg

It straightened the page block right up and it is now fully supported from spine to page end. And the top flattened right out and the spine is no longer flattening at the top from being pulled down onEAEEC294-0887-4DBA-B9F8-C34C4E50E0CF.jpg378E2CCC-6879-470B-92F1-A69640AADE6D.jpg

I was always some what skeptical and thought the people doing this were a bit paranoid, but after seeing the page curl I would recommend this to anyone who is REALLY concerned with the condition of there books. I will update how many books I was able to get from the pack of foam board. I think it was like $15 on Amazon.

Edit: I was able to get 111 books out of the 2 sheets with almost no scrap.
    Wow u can do a video for this man

Yeah that's a great idea. I've actually used some acid-free matting board I had in the same way (from matting photos) - didn't think to use the foam board, which I also have some of. That'd actually be the right thickness instead of stacking several pieces of mat board. Helps if you have a paper cutter too, otherwise you can use an exacto knife or whatever. Sagging is for real. Thanks for the tip!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    Yeah that's a great idea. I've actually used some acid-free matting board I had in the same way (from matting photos) - didn't think to use the foam board, which I also have some of. That'd actually be the right thickness instead of stacking several pieces of mat board. Helps if you have a paper cutter too, otherwise you can use an exacto knife or whatever. Sagging is for real. Thanks for the tip!
    You’re welcome, hope it helps some folks out there with a pretty simple fix. When I saw the curling pages I knew I had to take action. I just used a straight edge and a box cutter since each piece has to be measured individually. Some of the books were a little shallower than the 3/16” but I figured the way they were getting support under the page block the cover boards shouldn’t be pulling down too hard due to weight and surface friction from the books to either side.
    Last edited by Brewman; 12-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.

I was just using some ghetto cardboard, but this sounds like a handy solution. Thanks.