Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why does DC reboot every 2 years?

All it does is piss off long time fans and confuses new fans.

Maybe in 2020 we will get another reboot where there is only one universe. No more dimensions, alternate realities, and time traveling.

Nobody has the money to buy 28 comics that contain important story elements outside the main book they are following to get the whole story.

Also while I'm ranting I really need a Justice League meets Scooby Doo crossover in my life.

The only do depending on one's definition of "reboot". For example to me "reboot" means a complete redo. In which case DC has only ever done it twice in their history. What they do every few years I consider more rebranding. But, as I've learned, your mileage may vary on how one defines these terms.

In any case, why they do what they do every few years, regardless what one defines it is, they do because they need to do it to stay afloat. So does Marvel. The revamps, the new #1's, all that stuff is easy, tried-and-true big bumps in sales. But its a temporary bump. So it requires doing it again. And again. The industry isn't steady on just the concept of good stories anymore, and hasn't been in a long time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

DC relaunches all the time with a bunch or retcons and changes that eventually go back. DC has only ever rebooted twice, CoIE and New 52.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    DC relaunches all the time with a bunch or retcons and changes that eventually go back. DC has only ever rebooted twice, CoIE and New 52.
    Hasn't there been more than 2?

COIE, IC, FC, FP, Convergence, Rebirth.

Also carrying all things Batman related into New52 is cheating right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The only do depending on one's definition of "reboot". For example to me "reboot" means a complete redo. In which case DC has only ever done it twice in their history. What they do every few years I consider more rebranding. But, as I've learned, your mileage may vary on how one defines these terms.

In any case, why they do what they do every few years, regardless what one defines it is, they do because they need to do it to stay afloat. So does Marvel. The revamps, the new #1's, all that stuff is easy, tried-and-true big bumps in sales. But its a temporary bump. So it requires doing it again. And again. The industry isn't steady on just the concept of good stories anymore, and hasn't been in a long time.
    I get that. More money. But how many Green Lantern and The Flash #1's do people need before they lose their mind and throw in the towel?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post

CoIE carried over Batman's stuff as well and no the other stuff were just retcons and universe changes but the same universe continued on. The only time they changed was CoIE and New 52.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Infinite Crisis (and years before that, Zero Hour) made some revisions, but overall weren't full "REBOOTS". (And what did Final Crisis do that you consider a "reboot"?)

As for Rebirth, it didn't throw out everything from the New52. Like ZH and IC, it did more of a fine-tuning of how things were.

Reboots throw EVERYTHING out (or are supposed to, not that DC was ever good at following that rule). IC and FC just made some minor retcons, which is standard for both DC and Marvel. Most characters history was intact. Convergence was completely ignored except for Pre-FP Superman, Lois, and Jon. Nothing happened there. And Rebirth is a continuation of New 52, just bringing back old characterizations, history, and relationships. If anything Rebirth was a “deboot” albeit not a complete one.

The 52 weekly issue Trininty series was also a minor reboot. The only thing i remember was it brought Tomorrow Woman back to life making her human when the main universe returned.

I think Zero Hour technically only rebooted the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Everyone else just got new directions, which had already been set into motion with Death of Superman, Knightfall, JLI:Breakdowns, Flash: Year One, Emerald Dawn and Wonder Woman getting relaunched after Perez's departure.

Well, unless you consider the fact that Hal did 'reboot' reality with all the comics fading into blank panels on the last pages of their crossover issues to reflect that, which would then make Zero Hour officially a 'reboot', just with less divergence from the reality it replaced.
    I think Catwoman not ever being a prostitute (which retconned Year One and removed the Catwoman mini-series from canon) and Bruce not catching his parent's killer were the main revisions outside of Legion.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think Zero Hour technically only rebooted the Legion of Super-Heroes.
    Then again, there was also the Hawkmen mess.

DrNewGod hates when I post this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Then again, there was also the Hawkmen mess.

DrNewGod hates when I post this stuff!
    True.
    If you think about it, Hawkman's reboot in Zero Hour was like the reboot of the multiverse in COIE, but on an individual character level.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Infinite Crisis (and years before that, Zero Hour) made some revisions, but overall weren't full "REBOOTS". (And what did Final Crisis do that you consider a "reboot"?)

As for Rebirth, it didn't throw out everything from the New52. Like ZH and IC, it did more of a fine-tuning of how things were.
    If anything Rebirth is the opposite, as it's actually gradually merging the New 52 and pre-Flashpoint continuities. Superman has entirely reverted, Flash recently brought Impulse back, Steph and Cass have rediscovered their pasts as Batgirls, the Justice League now counts Martian Manhunter as a founder instead of Cyborg.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    . . . the Justice League now counts Martian Manhunter as a founder instead of Cyborg.
    Oh, since I'm not reading any of the Justice League titles, where was that made "official"?
    (And how are they replacing Geoff John's New52 origin story for the group?)

Can someone tell real quick who else died in COIE besides Supergirl?