Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman#3 Discussion and Spoilers

Livewire attacks STAR Labs, only to find they have problems of their own to deal with as their Phantom Zone mapping experiments have gone awry as a result of the planet's shift into the Zone itself. Superman arrives and asks Livewire to help. Meanwhile, Rogul Zarr meets up with Jax-Ur, Jax-Ur sends his allies to defeat Rogul but he easily deals with all of them. He and Jax-Ur then become quite chummy and agree to combine forces. Back at Earth's sector of space, Adam Strange arrives to find nothing but a lone space satellite. He comments on how this isn't funny. Back in the Zone, Superman learns the Zone's atmosphere combined with the Earth's own is slowly poisoning everyone. After preventing a looting in the city, Clark senses danger and finds Rogul and Jax-Ur's army about to attack

Again, I love how Bendis involves as many heroes as he can to show the full range global consequence of the Earth being trapped in the Zone. Flash is disoriented in the hospital, Bruce is passed out at the toilet, Aquaman even wonders what is in place of the Earth now that it's been dislocated, which leads to the amusing Adam Strange cameo.

The Bendis speak was slightly less annoying this time, and I do like Clark's inner monologues here about never ceasing to want for others.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-12-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Cameo city, it was pretty impressive considering the splash effect of Reis' very large images. And well positioned characters at that, since the all have a scientific/outer space background.

And I guess with J'onn being completely normal and no other hint, his speech in the first issue was just a little off.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

So glad to see Jax-Ur get some love again. As much as I enjoy Zod, DC spends way too much time fixated on him when there are so many other flavors of Phantom Zone criminals to choose from.

Well... Zod is coming into the story two months from now but I know what you mean. I think Jax might have been name dropped in Last Son but it's good to see them not lumped together and sporting different character designs once again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Well... Zod is coming into the story two months from now but I know what you mean. I think Jax might have been name dropped in Last Son but it's good to see them not lumped together and sporting different character designs once again.
    Well, Jax had a prominent in World of New Krypton, too. That's where his current look was introduced. He was one-eyed in that particular storyline, though.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The issue was fun, but more things could have happened on it, or at least moved faster. I don’t think the slow pace was justified in this chapter. Reis was amazing as usual
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Well, Jax had a prominent in World of New Krypton, too. That's where his current look was introduced. He was one-eyed in that particular storyline, though.
    I mean like how his current look isn't a post flashpoint model like we see with Zod.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was decent. Solid exploration of the Phantom Zone as well as interesting background on Krypton.

My favorite part were the little moments though like when Superman tells people who were robbing stores to "Cut it out" and they immediately obeying. Fun stuff.

Solid art as well. I just hope Rogol's story is coming to an end already.

Decent issue. I’m so happy to see Livewire again, and damn does Reis draw the hell out of her. The jokes with Adam returning and Supes telling looters to knock it off were hilarious. I just hope Bendis can nail the ending and being this story to a close.

I'm just waiting for Zod to join the fight. Since Rebirth, he's been getting the anti-hero treatment like Dr. Doom, Magneto, Deathstroke, Lex Luthor, Sinestro, Venom, Doctor Octopus and Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    I'm just waiting for Zod to join the fight. Since Rebirth, he's been getting the anti-hero treatment like Dr. Doom, Magneto, Deathstroke, Lex Luthor, Sinestro, Venom, Doctor Octopus and Loki.
    He’s up next arc I think. The Unity Saga.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Really dug this issue.

Maybe most glad that this whole crazy situation originated at STAR labs, and (until told otherwise) was just an accident. But the best part is probably the follow up where some of the smartest people in the DCU are talking the situation over, Superman tell them it started at STAR, and Ray and Ryan are all like "I told you!" and "what's wrong with them" lol This idea that because of all the nonsense they've been part of or the cause of, the greater science community tends to face palm and groan whenever they're brought up. Nice touch.

Jax-Ur taking over as shot-caller when Zod is free is dope. There's the concept of a Phantom Zone gang war between like Xa-Du, Faora, and Jax-Ur just waiting to be told. I'm not really one to get hype for the promise an American comic fight, but that ending shot with Zaar was hype af. Also really dug the frantic pace implied with Superman hardly ever staying in one spot for more than a page or two, and the Justice League actively helping out (if they're well enough).

I do wonder about what Ryan (and Mr. Terrific to an extent) was getting at when he said "we really don't know what the Earth was originally made for." Given the galactic nature of the Unity Saga, I gotta wonder if this will be a plot point to look out for?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s up next arc I think. The Unity Saga.
    Yeah, the issue after the next one.

Best issue of the title thus far. Lots of fun cameos, Superman racing around all over the place really showing the chaos of the situation, and Rogol Zaar's best showing to date, showing off his leadership skills and portraying him as more than just a generic hulking monster.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm not saying it was bad, it just didn't do it for me.