Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amazing Spider-Man 5 ( Legacy 806 ) Discussion and Spoilers

Great end to a great first arc.

I really cant say enough about how much I love this title. For me this is the best arc i have read since 2007.

We get a reveal at the end that we all saw coming and the mystery of the new villain is toyed with again.

What are peoples thoughts ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Great end to a great first arc.

I really cant say enough about how much I love this title. For me this is the best arc i have read since 2007.

We get a reveal at the end that we all saw coming and the mystery of the new villain is toyed with again.

What are peoples thoughts ?
    Ah, a "reveal we all saw coming" means that my suspicions on a possible fake-out in that direction were wrong.

But I'm happy to see what Spencer does with a certain mad Russian so it's cool. Haven't read the issue yet but it'll be at the top of my stack. Have dug this opening arc so much - can't wait to read the conclusion!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Haven't read the issue yet but it'll be at the top of my stack. Have dug this opening arc so much - can't wait to read the conclusion!
    Same here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Same here.
    Best of all, no one had to save Spidey execpt for Peter Parker.

Nice that a line has effectively been drawn under the notion that Mary Jane struggles with the dual identity. Spencer really drills home how much they ( particularly Mary Jane ) mean to each other, in a quick effective scene.

BANNED

Read it, loved it!

Great conclusion to the first arc.

Didn't mind that the reveal was exactly who we were led to expect. A big villain deserves a big build-up, right?

Loved seeing Peter resolve his problems on his own, with his own wits and ingenuity. Hilarious how he played Boomerang.

And speaking of hilarious, this was the funniest issue of Spencer's run so far. I made the mistake of reading this while I had lunch and damn near choked on a bite of sandwich when Spidey makes his vow over a grievously injured Peter.

Liked the further teasing of the mystery villain, especially now that Peter now knows that there is someone lurking in the wings.

All the Peter/MJ stuff was great, too.

Just a fantastic, highly satisfying issue.

And to think that before this run began I actually thought it'd be daunting for a new creative team on ASM after a decade of Dan Slott.

Clearly, Spencer and co. were more than up to the challenge because they've brought it and then some!

BANNED

Nick did a great job mixing something horrific with sharp comedic laughs followed by a blistering final battle that sees Peter use his wits, intellect, and raw ingenuity to save the day. The villain manages to get his pound of blood though, and he has an eerie catchphrase ("guess my name"), the Peter and MJ scenes, few as they are, are great too. Tonight, Pete's all hers. You said it red!

And we get the big reveal we all knew was building in the first four issues

Some cryptic promises too in the letters pages regarding Peter and MJ ("I'm sure they'll have a peaceful and easy relationship from here on out...(check Nick's body of work), uh-oh")

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    That is a plus.

I also enjoyed the end to Spencer's first arc.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Gotta read it soon!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    One of the best things about Spencer's ASM. Great issue and start to the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    One of the best things about Spencer's ASM. Great issue and start to the run.
    Agreed; that was one of the things that I really grew tired of on Slott's run. I get that Slott was/is the biggest Spidey fan ever and that he wanted to play with all the toys in the MU toy chest but his run became Marvel Team Up lite pretty early on and, as you said, I missed reading stories of Spidey solving things on his own and defeating villains on his own. Looks like we may have that once again with Spencer at the helm.