Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I enjoy the story for the most part. Only parts that worried me was the Peter and MJ stuff.

I wrote this before but I don't want MJ playing a passive role if she's truly going to be Peter's partner again. Other 'love interests' had a slight pass on being passive and not really apart of Peter's full world due to not knowing he was Spider-man thus couldn't help for the lack of knowledge given to them. MJ on the other hand knows and thus doesn't have any excuse for Peter should share his knowledge and full story with her if they truly being in a loving full relationship/partners.

I wrote this before in the preview page for issue 5 but as a MJ fan how she has been used thus far hasn't done much for me.

As it began and Spencer had Peter and MJ kissing and 'getting back together' I was worried that was only going to be a issue #1 selling tactic only and suddenly MJ decides to split again next few issues.
    Afterwards I was afraid that Peter and MJ was going to be 'together' but MJ disappearing from issues or not really being used effectively only appearing in one page every so often.

I like seeing the first page of the preview for this issues as MJ is incorporated into the world and knowledge of what is going on (in a relationship having both sides talking about what is going on allowing the other to help is better than the relationships that just has it like they don't have a partner in their life). MJ knowing Peter is Spider-man should allow Peter to be freely able to talk about things like this situation and allow MJ to help.

That said I don't know if Peter mentioned the FULL story to MJ here as it's one thing to mention that the Spider-man side is going wildly irresponsible but I also wonder if he told her that he's have a hard time now with science and getting dumber he feels.
    Mostly of all her reaction was mostly about herself 'O this dual side of yours causes me grief but I guess I'll have to endure it cause I love you also for that' and the two as a couple not about his well being.
    Her reaction also seems to be 'the writers can make me run to you because I love your heroic nature and results yet also run away from you on a drop of a dime and different charazations because of the heroic nature and results'.

Lastly I hope the writer covers a bit more spotlight to why MJ decided to get back together with Peter and not just because he made a speech to her. Let's see her mental and psychological sides cause she herself is a individual and a character and not just a assorory girlfriend. Last time before they gotten back together MJ was working for Tony. Now no mention about that job (which in that series Friday was begging Mj to work at Stark Inc as MJ was needed so badly but suddenly MJ is not I guess). No indication what her career path or job is right now but just showing up to kiss Peter. Last time before this MJ was tired of the hero stuff but now she's back in with no strings. I want to see the issue showing what affect her mental states agian plus epiphany that makes sense that helps with the transitions of charazations and her own life and job prospects.

If Peter and MJ are back together and she is in and being used by this series and no others that I want MJ to be the 2nd main character with all that applies. I'm enjoying what he is doing with peter right now but I also a big fan and have high hopes for MJ beyond showing up and kissing.

For one thing she doesn't seem to be showing worries for Peter's LIFE. Did he share with her that he was dying? That's a BIG problem. Her reaction should be not just 'Oh let's kiss and I'm sure you will be fine'. It should be: "What can I do! Let's work together!".

It's fine for now but for the comic issues I hope for something more for MJ in the comic issues and more involvement in Peter's life and seeing (and Peter involved in) hers as well.

Also the last time I saw Kraven was in Squirrel Girl where he was a ally for Dorren and he promised to try and be a better man thanks to her friendship. This takes that and tosses it away. I know that title is a C title but unless a story and character versions takes place on a different Multiverse or time period it bothers me a bit when I see inconsistent info like that. Some people will but her trade book (as that where most of her readers get such info) right at the same time this tradebook comes out and I can see the confusion beginning for those trade book readers that reads both titles. Kraven had a much bigger role in that series as of recent with a big story and character arc which will now be ignored.
    Like also how MJ use to work (maybe still does) for Tony but that just faded after a big deal was made that she was working for him in the past by Marvel (due to Bendus but still once more things I would like to be covered on for a fictional but constantly growing living world and characters written to us).
    Last edited by AngelJD; 09-14-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yeah, I agree. "Grim Hunt" was presented as such an important tale and, along the way, was as dark and violent as any Spidey story only to yield virtually nothing, at least as far as Peter Parker's world was concerned. There seemed to be no followup plan on the part of the Spidey team at the time and so Kraven got shuttled off to other titles with little consequence there as well. The slow burn to reveal Kraven over these first 5 issues fills me with hope that Spencer will indeed delver for us this time; at least, I certainly hope so!
    That was because Slott said he didn't want to write any Kraven stories because he felt the character had his definitive end in Kraven's Last Hunt and didn't want to try and outdo or diminish it, which I do have to give him credit for sticking to his guns on that. Also for me personally, I really didn't care about the other Kravinoffs at all, so them never being mentioned again I was alright with.

Plus appearing in other books allowed us to get his really fun and crazy persona in Squirrel Girl, and some enjoyable one-off appearances, one of my favourites is in Rocket Raccoon.

Part of me wishes Kraven would do a heel turn and become a big eco-terrorist.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Part of me wishes Kraven would do a heel turn and become a big eco-terrorist.
    he wears ivory for fashion.

My latest review of Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley's Amazing Spider-Man #5 @BamSmackPow. I've been really liking his run thus far, but I do think this could've been a better ending...as less of commentary on Spider-Man.
    Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #5 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Lastly I hope the writer covers a bit more spotlight to why MJ decided to get back together with Peter and not just because he made a speech to her. Let's see her mental and psychological sides cause she herself is a individual and a character and not just a assorory girlfriend. Last time before they gotten back together MJ was working for Tony. Now no mention about that job (which in that series Friday was begging Mj to work at Stark Inc as MJ was needed so badly but suddenly MJ is not I guess). No indication what her career path or job is right now but just showing up to kiss Peter. Last time before this MJ was tired of the hero stuff but now she's back in with no strings. I want to see the issue showing what affect her mental states agian plus epiphany that makes sense that helps with the transitions of charazations and her own life and job prospects.
    In my opinion, MJ's previous behavior was so out of character and the Stark job so ridiculously unbelievably random that I have no real problem with the new creative team ignoring these events. If Marvel was so dead set on show horning in the MJ superhero melt down and weird Stark CEO career without any believable transitional stage then they can just as easily undo it in the same manner. The less said about that terrible era the better.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Also the last time I saw Kraven was in Squirrel Girl where he was a ally for Dorren and he promised to try and be a better man thanks to her friendship. This takes that and tosses it away. I know that title is a C title but unless a story and character versions takes place on a different Multiverse or time period it bothers me a bit when I see inconsistent info like that.
    I'm under the impression Squirrel Girl takes place in a different reality. However, it would be hilarious if Doreen made that big impassioned speech about change and convinced Spidey to let Kraven go only to see him murder again. Because that's on her and her friends now.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he wears ivory for fashion.
    Yah, just thinking of something different to do with the character. I'd like to think he'd also have a change of heart about animals, but still be kind of evil
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Plus appearing in other books allowed us to get his really fun and crazy persona in Squirrel Girl, and some enjoyable one-off appearances, one of my favourites is in Rocket Raccoon.
    It's always funny reading that book and seeing Kraven played for comedy and amusement with his best pal Squirrel Girl knowing full well what kind of a horrible guy he actually is in the main continuity.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    In my opinion, MJ's previous behavior was so out of character and the Stark job so ridiculously unbelievably random that I have no real problem with the new creative team ignoring these events. If Marvel was so dead set on show horning in the MJ superhero melt down and weird Stark CEO career without any believable transitional stage then they can just as easily undo it in the same manner. The less said about that terrible era the better.

I'm under the impression Squirrel Girl takes place in a different reality. However, it would be hilarious if Doreen made that big impassioned speech about change and convinced Spidey to let Kraven go only to see him murder again. Because that's on her and her friends now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's always funny reading that book and seeing Kraven played for comedy and amusement with his best pal Squirrel Girl knowing full well what kind of a horrible guy he actually is in the main continuity.
    That's actually a pretty interesting dichotomy. It's pretty obvious to me that Kraven harbors some form of genuine affection for Doreen, and thus attempts to curtail the more vicious aspects of himself when in her presence, but outside of that . . . everyone else, especially Spider-Man, is more or less fair game for his eternal hunt. Would be great possible character development for Kraven to square off with Spider-Man, but get interrupted by Squirrel Girl and have to choose between losing her friendship and continuing his animosity with the web-slinger.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Through five issues, Spencer has exceeded my expectations so far. This has quickly become my favorite series from Marvel right now.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Through five issues, Spencer has exceeded my expectations so far. This has quickly become my favorite series from Marvel right now.
    I completely agree; each new issue is at the very top of my reading pile, a spot that ASM has not occupied with consistency for years now.

I liked this first arch. I liked that it wasn't over the top. It was really back to the basics and that is enjoyable and refreshing. I liked some of Slott's stories but any were just too over the top.