Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default THR reporting Henry Cavill will no longer play Superman

That's too bad. I liked him in that role. I'm seeing a reboot in the works after WW2.

BANNED

I'm pretty much alone on this, but I think this is a positive step forward for the DCCU. I never cared for Cavill as Superman. For a long time I chalked it up to the crappy material he was given to work with. Subsequently I've never seen him in anything where I came away feeling like the man act. He's very wooden and I just never got the charm and charisma from him that so many others, including professional critics, ascribe to him. So yeah, it's probably just me.

Regardless, the image of Superman that Cavill represents is toxic to the brand, no matter who's responsible for it. This is a change that absolutely had to be made to invigorate the franchise into something sustainable.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well now, that's certainly interesting. Between this and reports of Ben Affleck out as Batman, that means DC/Warner Bros. no longer have the actors helming THE two most iconic superheroes ever at the head of their film universe, leaving Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa to carry the shield. Meanwhile, as for Cavill, I never liked him as Superman, but thought he was cool as Napoleon Solo in the big screen version of Man From U.N.C.L.E., but, that's just me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well now, that's certainly interesting. Between this and reports of Ben Affleck out as Batman, that means DC/Warner Bros. no longer have the actors helming THE two most iconic superheroes ever at the head of their film universe, leaving Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa to carry the shield. Meanwhile, as for Cavill, I never liked him as Superman, but thought he was cool as Napoleon Solo in the big screen version of Man From U.N.C.L.E., but, that's just me.
    Yes, Supes is gone and looks like Batflleck as well.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Aw! Come on!

I really liked Cavil as Superman. He had the essence. I also liked Affleck.

I loved the Justice League Movie. Marvel Movies was like a good piece of bubble gum. Great at first but it lost its flavor

Astonishing Member

Superman's a hard part to cast as you need someone big, can act and play the sides of the character.

If Cavill and Affleck are on the way out...they should really let these characters rest for a couple years. They could move forward with WW, Aquaman, Flash, Shazam and some other properties (I'd kill off Suicide Squad, too). They don't need to heavily interconnect, though you could still have nods to other characters in the solo movies. Let these characters do their own thing now. Let Reeves eventually reboot Batman with his detective story (don't rush it). Eventually reconvene into another team movie, maybe. Right now DC need to focus on solo properties and doing well with them.

Now...I said eventually reconvene into a team movie.

What they should eventually do (if this next wave of solo flicks are a success) is intro the original league minus Batman/Superman. So...Hal (need a GL flick), Flash (filming next year), Aquaman, Martian Manhunter (needs to be introduced), WW, Atom, Green Arrow (need to see Atom and GA introduced).

Insert Shazam as a Superman replacement. Green Arrow is your rich guy/street level hero replacing Batman. Let Bats/Supes breathe a bit...reboot eventually and you can bring into the mix down the road. As for new characters mentioned above....You could intro Martian Manhunter in someone's solo movie. Same with Ray Palmer. I think if done well - GL and GA should be able to carry their own flicks, though.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm pretty much alone on this, but I think this is a positive step forward for the DCCU. I never cared for Cavill as Superman. For a long time I chalked it up to the crappy material he was given to work with. Subsequently I've never seen him in anything where I came away feeling like the man act. He's very wooden and I just never got the charm and charisma from him that so many others, including professional critics, ascribe to him. So yeah, it's probably just me.

Regardless, the image of Superman that Cavill represents is toxic to the brand, no matter who's responsible for it. This is a change that absolutely had to be made to invigorate the franchise into something sustainable.
    You're not alone at all. He was an awful pick for Superman. He looks the part but his cool, icy screen presence may be a very good fit for playing super spies in Mission Impossible and Man From Uncle but it's literally the opposite of what Superman should represent.

I still say they should give Brandon Routh another shot. He suffered from being a bit too you and stuck with some questionable wrting in Superman Returns but after seeing him play Atom each week on Legends of Tomorrow, I think he would be perfect for the role now.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    You're not alone at all. He was an awful pick for Superman. He looks the part but his cool, icy screen presence may be a very good fit for playing super spies in Mission Impossible and Man From Uncle but it's literally the opposite of what Superman should represent.

I still say they should give Brandon Routh another shot. He suffered from being a bit too you and stuck with some questionable wrting in Superman Returns but after seeing him play Atom each week on Legends of Tomorrow, I think he would be perfect for the role now.
    Nope, they've rebooted. I don't want them going back to an earlier continuity and I don't think they will.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Nope, they've rebooted. I don't want them going back to an earlier continuity and I don't think they will.
    Oh, I don't mean an old continuity. I just mean using Routh in a new version of Superman. It's never, ever going to happen but I just thik he will be tough to top.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Ah that's too bad. Although I feel the writings been on the wall, WB is so bad off they can't even re-use an above average Man of Steel, their clearly going forward with Gadot who is a worse actor than Cavil (she like Cavil however does have the look). Whatever Cavil might lack in delivery (thanks for nothing Snyder) imo he makes up for it in that physically, he's pretty damned perfect as a Byrne era Superman. He's made several comments since MOS over how he really enjoyed be Superman so... I guess this frees him up to be Simon/Wonderman :shrug:
    Last edited by Surf; 09-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.