Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default THR reporting Henry Cavill will no longer play Superman

That's too bad. I liked him in that role. I'm seeing a reboot in the works after WW2.

BANNED

I'm pretty much alone on this, but I think this is a positive step forward for the DCCU. I never cared for Cavill as Superman. For a long time I chalked it up to the crappy material he was given to work with. Subsequently I've never seen him in anything where I came away feeling like the man act. He's very wooden and I just never got the charm and charisma from him that so many others, including professional critics, ascribe to him. So yeah, it's probably just me.

Regardless, the image of Superman that Cavill represents is toxic to the brand, no matter who's responsible for it. This is a change that absolutely had to be made to invigorate the franchise into something sustainable.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well now, that's certainly interesting. Between this and reports of Ben Affleck out as Batman, that means DC/Warner Bros. no longer have the actors helming THE two most iconic superheroes ever at the head of their film universe, leaving Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa to carry the shield. Meanwhile, as for Cavill, I never liked him as Superman, but thought he was cool as Napoleon Solo in the big screen version of Man From U.N.C.L.E., but, that's just me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Superman's a hard part to cast as you need someone big, can act and play the sides of the character.

If Cavill and Affleck are on the way out...they should really let these characters rest for a couple years. They could move forward with WW, Aquaman, Flash, Shazam and some other properties (I'd kill off Suicide Squad, too). They don't need to heavily interconnect, though you could still have nods to other characters in the solo movies. Let these characters do their own thing now. Let Reeves eventually reboot Batman with his detective story (don't rush it). Eventually reconvene into another team movie, maybe. Right now DC need to focus on solo properties and doing well with them.

Now...I said eventually reconvene into a team movie.

What they should eventually do (if this next wave of solo flicks are a success) is intro the original league minus Batman/Superman. So...Hal (need a GL flick), Flash (filming next year), Aquaman, Martian Manhunter (needs to be introduced), WW, Atom, Green Arrow (need to see Atom and GA introduced).

Insert Shazam as a Superman replacement. Green Arrow is your rich guy/street level hero replacing Batman. Let Bats/Supes breathe a bit...reboot eventually and you can bring into the mix down the road. As for new characters mentioned above....You could intro Martian Manhunter in someone's solo movie. Same with Ray Palmer. I think if done well - GL and GA should be able to carry their own flicks, though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well now, that's certainly interesting. Between this and reports of Ben Affleck out as Batman, that means DC/Warner Bros. no longer have the actors helming THE two most iconic superheroes ever at the head of their film universe, leaving Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa to carry the shield. Meanwhile, as for Cavill, I never liked him as Superman, but thought he was cool as Napoleon Solo in the big screen version of Man From U.N.C.L.E., but, that's just me.
    Yes, Supes is gone and looks like Batflleck as well.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Aw! Come on!

I really liked Cavil as Superman. He had the essence. I also liked Affleck.

I loved the Justice League Movie. Marvel Movies was like a good piece of bubble gum. Great at first but it lost its flavor

Now this is fascinating. I can't say I really liked any of these guys, the cast of JL don't work for me solo nor do they look good together or play off of each other well as a group. Acting-wise i think Gadot is the weakest link, so if he could take her with him I wouldn't lose sleep. Realistically that won't happen though.

Probably a good thing for Cavill too. The guy can do better than those mediocre-at-best movies.
    Live true or lie well.

Ever since Man of Steel was announced, I kept having a scene from Rocky IV loop in my head with regards to the DC movieverse. It's where Rocky and Apollo run along the beach and Rocky stops and walks away. Apollo keeps asking him to keep trying and Rocky mumbles 'tomorrow', and, frustrated and angry, Apollo says: 'There is no tomorrow!'

Only replace the word with 'plan'.

There was no plan. It was pretty clear (to me) from the beginning.

Sure, Snyder may have had an arc in mind etc, but there was no actual plan.

They shivved us with Superman Returns and then they Agent Smith-ed us with Justice League.

Is it any surprise?
    Warner has proven it's incompetence time and again now.

Seriously, at this point, the only way to save the giant trainwreck aka the DCEU is to start over.

Niffleheim

I hope things look up for Cavill now that he has this albatross off his neck. He should also change agents while he's at it because she hasn't really done his career any good.
    Last edited by Tofali; 09-12-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Ever since Man of Steel was announced, I kept having a scene from Rocky IV loop in my head with regards to the DC movieverse. It's where Rocky and Apollo run along the beach and Rocky stops and walks away. Apollo keeps asking him to keep trying and Rocky mumbles 'tomorrow', and, frustrated and angry, Apollo says: 'There is no tomorrow!'

Only replace the word with 'plan'.

There was no plan. It was pretty clear (to me) from the beginning.

Sure, Snyder may have had an arc in mind etc, but there was no actual plan.

They shivved us with Superman Returns and then they Agent Smith-ed us with Justice League.
    Unlike Marvel/Disney which meticulously assembled (pun intended) their cinematic universe over the span of a decade, DC/Warner Bros., needing to catch up and catch up quick, simply threw **** against the wall to see if anything would stick. Sure, the blind squirrel found it's acorn with Wonder Woman, and, judging from the trailer, Aquaman looks damn good. As for the rest? Flotsam and jetsam. Yeah, there was never a plan for the DCU, that much is obvious, and that's a shame since I wanted them to succeed every bit as much as Marvel.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, there was never a plan for the DCU, that much is obvious, and that's a shame since I wanted them to succeed every bit as much as Marvel.
    You and me both.

There was so much potential. So much...