Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think the plan is to insert Supergirl in as Superman's replacement.

They are probably trying to make Supergirl the face of the franchise and feel having a Superman in it would be a distraction. People would want movies with that Superman in it instead of more Supergirl movies.
    It's sort of like the Supergirl TV show. You get people wanting a Superman TV series with Tyler Hoechlin,
    Good point.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    What do you think about Michael B. Jordan as Superman? For those who can't place the name, he played the title role in Creed, Erik Kilmonger in Black Panther, and Human Torch in Josh Trank's Fantastic Four flop.

Would changing Superman's race be a good shot in the arm or a final nail in the coffin for the DCEU? Would you accept him as the Obamaesque Superman from the New 52 or would you want to see him as the primary Superman?
    My vote's for final nail. Something like that I view as an act of desperation for the studio, worse, shameless pandering to the PC/SJW crowd. While I think Jordan would be great as John Henry Irons (a.k.a. Steel), I doubt he could he pull off being Superman, I don't believe he has the gravitas to star as THE most iconic superhero ever.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's more from Deadline:

"The word has been out that Warner Bros. has been mulling a completely different direction with its Superman canon for some time, even considering casting Michael B. Jordan in the role down the road. But at the present moment a Supergirl movie is the studio’s priority as Deadline exclusively broke back in August. Oren Uziel is working on the Supergirl script."

What do you think about Michael B. Jordan as Superman? For those who can't place the name, he played the title role in Creed, Erik Kilmonger in Black Panther, and Human Torch in Josh Trank's Fantastic Four flop.

Would changing Superman's race be a good shot in the arm or a final nail in the coffin for the DCEU? Would you accept him as the Obamaesque Superman from the New 52 or would you want to see him as the primary Superman?
    I'm usulay all for race bending if the actor could do the role which MBJ could. But no Supermans appearance is too iconic dont mess with it. Superman Batman Captain America wolverine and Peter Parker are all off limits just because they appearanc is iconic. You want a black Superman make it supergirl or Icon. You want a black spiderman use Miles. I mean Wolverine might work if played by a non white actor but Cap and Batman are off limits. Plus like they pointed out on fatman on batman. Idris Elba could be an amazing batman but Bruce Wayne's comes from old east coast money. You would have to change so much about Bruce's lineage to make it fit for someone who's not white. I mean you could make Thomas Wayne self made and Bruce 1st Generation rich but why. Just cast Idris in another role he ls gonna nail it regardless. Plus I'd rather see a John Stewart or proper Steel movie over the 20th batman movie

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My vote's for final nail. Something like that I view as an act of desperation for the studio, worse, shameless pandering to the PC/SJW crowd. While I think Jordan would be great as John Henry Irons (a.k.a. Steel), I doubt he could he pull off being Superman, I don't believe he has the gravitas to star as THE most iconic superhero ever.
    Well, I think Jordan would make a great John Stewart and the DCEU needs to introduce GL again.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Nope, they've rebooted. I don't want them going back to an earlier continuity and I don't think they will.
    Oh, I don't mean an old continuity. I just mean using Routh in a new version of Superman. It's never, ever going to happen but I just thik he will be tough to top.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

If your going to use Jordan make him Val Zod.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    If your going to use Jordan make him Val Zod.
    Yeah, they could make it someone other than Kal-El. Like how in the Catwoman movie it was Patience Philips instead of Selina Kyle so there wasn't the problem of race bending the character.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

*Sigh*. Casting Cavill was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise botched attempt at a cinematic universe. I have no faith in WB, and if Cavill is no longer to be Superman then I hope there's not another Superman movie any time soon.

I think it's easy to predict.

Nearly all the Superman actors have their career limited because this role is too iconic. Now WB doesn't even have a new Superman movie in 2nd phase, of course he would want to quit.

Now his agent is saying that they are still negotiating, maybe it's a good chance to push WB to plan for Superman ASAP.

Extraordinary Member

This just looks like more WB being all over the place. Yeah making Clark Kent black would be stupid. I think MBJ has too much fire to play Superman. You need someone more reserved to play Obamaesque superman like Derek Luke would be perfect. Or MBJ could play Val Zod but that might be a step down for him at this point.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I rather not see DC continue a cinematic universe. DC should just focus on stand alone films. This could be a good thing.

Astonishing Member

Sigh.

I LOVED the Cavill/Snyder interpretation of Superman. Some people may find this blasphemous, but MOS is probably my favorite live-action Superman movie. It was perfect for a 21st century reimagining of Superman and an origin story nearly on par with Batman Begins.

Yes, BvS was a bit of a misstep, but I still loved the direction they were heading in with this Superman, and his place in the world. And while Justice League, as released, was a mess, Superman was definitely one of the bright spots - even though I was p#ssed that Snyder's original three-film arc for the character was somewhat derailed.

In any case, the 'evolution' of Cavill's Superman was done, he was now established as THE iconic Superman, and I was looking forward to another solo film, at least to begin with. Something very different from what Snyder did, but still building upon that (the way Ragnarok was very different from the first two Thor films, and yet a great expansion on those movies).

But I guess with the DCEU being the mess that it is, perhaps its for the best that Cavill's Superman bows out. We still had one great movie, one good but flawed movie, and one mediocre movie with some great scenes starring the character...

Moving forward, I think maybe DC/WB should maybe focus on the solo movies. Wonder Woman is the golden goose they need to really work on, and Aquaman at least looks like a decent enjoyable film that could even be great. Suicide Squad 2 I honestly don't think should be a priority at all. The Flash movie on the other hand they should go ahead with - and if its Flashpoint they can do the whole 'soft-reboot' thing and wipe out the last remnants of Snyder's DCEU.

Supergirl will be an interesting direction to head in. Frankly, I find the notion that Superman can't appear in her movie to be absurd, but if that's the way they want to play it, its fine by me. It worked for the TV show, up to a point. Michael B Jordan playing Superman on the other hand...just no.

Just more bad new for DC/WB. What else is new right, due to the hating and biasedness? Hey, Marvel movies aren't exactly perfect either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    It's him goofing and not confirming nor denying, just like WB. They're deadlocked at the moment, and they're probably sitting back and watching people react to things, which they hope will translate into higher demand to keep Cavill on board