Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Considering the "not so warm" welcome those movies received i don't think he's going to miss the role all that much.

On the other side, they made him way more famous than he was so....

Ah that's too bad. Although I feel the writings been on the wall, WB is so bad off they can't even re-use an above average Man of Steel, their clearly going forward with Gadot who is a worse actor than Cavil (she like Cavil however does have the look). Whatever Cavil might lack in delivery (thanks for nothing Snyder) imo he makes up for it in that physically, he's pretty damned perfect as a Byrne era Superman. He's made several comments since MOS over how he really enjoyed be Superman so... I guess this frees him up to be Simon/Wonderman :shrug:
    Last edited by Surf; 09-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I liked Cavill, but the material never served him well. He was wonderfully corny in Justice League, but you can count the good things about that movie on one hand. But Cavill was good in Man from UNCLE.

Still, though, this move is probably for the best. Move on.

Well, we've seen DKR, NML and Death of Superman movies. Wonder Woman. Suicide Squad somehow snuck in a movie. We had a Justice League movie, with a villain from Apocalypse. Part of me would like to see Darkseid vs Justice League, but then again I'm fine without it. Soft reboot time maybe, with Kara Zor-El and Dick Grayson replacing Supes and Bats.

I'd laugh if the Aquaman and Shazam movies became the anchors for a whole new take on the DCEU.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.
    I don't get that bit. Why can't Superman be in a teen Supergirl movie?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm pretty much alone on this, but I think this is a positive step forward for the DCCU. I never cared for Cavill as Superman. For a long time I chalked it up to the crappy material he was given to work with. Subsequently I've never seen him in anything where I came away feeling like the man act. He's very wooden and I just never got the charm and charisma from him that so many others, including professional critics, ascribe to him. So yeah, it's probably just me.

Regardless, the image of Superman that Cavill represents is toxic to the brand, no matter who's responsible for it. This is a change that absolutely had to be made to invigorate the franchise into something sustainable.
    You're not alone at all. He was an awful pick for Superman. He looks the part but his cool, icy screen presence may be a very good fit for playing super spies in Mission Impossible and Man From Uncle but it's literally the opposite of what Superman should represent.

I still say they should give Brandon Routh another shot. He suffered from being a bit too you and stuck with some questionable wrting in Superman Returns but after seeing him play Atom each week on Legends of Tomorrow, I think he would be perfect for the role now.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    You're not alone at all. He was an awful pick for Superman. He looks the part but his cool, icy screen presence may be a very good fit for playing super spies in Mission Impossible and Man From Uncle but it's literally the opposite of what Superman should represent.

I still say they should give Brandon Routh another shot. He suffered from being a bit too you and stuck with some questionable wrting in Superman Returns but after seeing him play Atom each week on Legends of Tomorrow, I think he would be perfect for the role now.
    Nope, they've rebooted. I don't want them going back to an earlier continuity and I don't think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Aw! Come on!

I really liked Cavil as Superman. He had the essence. I also liked Affleck.

I loved the Justice League Movie. Marvel Movies was like a good piece of bubble gum. Great at first but it lost its flavor
    I agree with you about Marvel but Justice League was trying to be a Marvel movie.

Well, we now have comments from both Cavill's manager and Warner Brothers:

manager Dany Garcia:
    “Be peaceful, the cape is still in his closet. @wbpictures has been and continues to be our partners as they evolve the DC Universe. Anticipate a WB statement later today.”

Warner Bros.:
    “While no decisions have been made regarding any upcoming Superman films,” the studio said in a statement relayed to The Hollywood Reporter, “we’ve always had great respect for and a great relationship with Henry Cavill, and that remains unchanged.”

Frankly, the statement by Warner Bros. doesn't exactly give one hope that Cavill will continue as Superman. Perhaps the reports by Deadline and Hollywood Reporter that Warners would rather concentrate on a Supergirl movie are true and that it would be years before another Superman film is done.

If Warners is specifically saying there is no decision about future Superman films, to me this means that they are basically putting Superman on the back burner. At least with Batman we have a director in Matt Reeves who keeps tweeting that he is going ahead with his film. Whether Affleck is in it or not, who knows? But with Superman, we have no word on director, script, production start date or anything.

I really see all this as confirmation that they want to put some distance between the Zach Snyder films and the future of DC Films. My guess is that they will let Cavill out of his contract where he had to play Superman one more time and offer him a role in another film as a replacement/consolation prize. This way, they can do a soft reboot of the DCEU by getting rid of both Cavill and Affleck since they were the faces of the poorly received Batman v Superman.

Here's more from Deadline:

"The word has been out that Warner Bros. has been mulling a completely different direction with its Superman canon for some time, even considering casting Michael B. Jordan in the role down the road. But at the present moment a Supergirl movie is the studio’s priority as Deadline exclusively broke back in August. Oren Uziel is working on the Supergirl script."

What do you think about Michael B. Jordan as Superman? For those who can't place the name, he played the title role in Creed, Erik Kilmonger in Black Panther, and Human Torch in Josh Trank's Fantastic Four flop.

Would changing Superman's race be a good shot in the arm or a final nail in the coffin for the DCEU? Would you accept him as the Obamaesque Superman from the New 52 or would you want to see him as the primary Superman?

The word has been out that Warner Bros. has been mulling a completely different direction with its Superman canon for some time, even considering casting Michael B. Jordan in the role down the road.
    https://deadline.com/2018/09/superma...os-1202463120/

BANNED

I think he would make a good Kryptonian, but not necessarily a good Clark Kent. It's sounds like WB is floundering on a vision for Superman similar to the way they were in the 90s

Extraordinary Member

Hmmmm Cavill frees up his big budget film slate just as Craig’s last Bond film is about to go into production. Interesting

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's more from Deadline:

"The word has been out that Warner Bros. has been mulling a completely different direction with its Superman canon for some time, even considering casting Michael B. Jordan in the role down the road. But at the present moment a Supergirl movie is the studio’s priority as Deadline exclusively broke back in August. Oren Uziel is working on the Supergirl script."

What do you think about Michael B. Jordan as Superman? For those who can't place the name, he played the title role in Creed, Erik Kilmonger in Black Panther, and Human Torch in Josh Trank's Fantastic Four flop.

Would changing Superman's race be a good shot in the arm or a final nail in the coffin for the DCEU? Would you accept him as the Obamaesque Superman from the New 52 or would you want to see him as the primary Superman?
    Yes I’m sure Michael B. Jordan really wants to be in another even more high profile super hero racebending situation after FF

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Insert Shazam as a Superman replacement. Green Arrow is your rich guy/street level hero replacing Batman. Let Bats/Supes breathe a bit...reboot eventually and you can bring into the mix down the road. As for new characters mentioned above....You could intro Martian Manhunter in someone's solo movie. Same with Ray Palmer. I think if done well - GL and GA should be able to carry their own flicks, though.
    I think the plan is to insert Supergirl in as Superman's replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    I don't get that bit. Why can't Superman be in a teen Supergirl movie?
    They are probably trying to make Supergirl the face of the franchise and feel having a Superman in it would be a distraction. People would want movies with that Superman in it instead of more Supergirl movies.
    It's sort of like the Supergirl TV show. You get people wanting a Superman TV series with Tyler Hoechlin,