Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Well, no, Supergirl is maybe getting a movie. And WB hasn't decided what they want to do with Superman. One doesn't necessarily follow from the other. Supergirl replacing Superman is probably just something the click-bait
    sites are putting out there to get attention. Even if WB knew what they wanted to do with Superman there is no real reason not to do a Supergirl movie too. Has WB ever released an official statement saying they are dumping
    Superman for Supergirl? All WB has said is no decision has been made regarding any Superman films. So if the plan was to dump Superman for Supergirl, wouldn't that be considered a decision regarding upcoming Superman films?
    I'd love to see Supergirl get a film I grew up in the 80's and we had few Superheroes films and shows and I use to watch the Supergirl film on cable all the time even though it wasn't good and would like to see her get a good film.

But this comes off as one WB doesn't want to pay Cavill more once his current contracts are up and two they aren't sure what direction they want to take the films and might want a soft reboot and Supergirl solves both problems.

It annoys me Superman fans have to pay for WB's blunders and also as much as I'd like a Supergirl film her getting a proper Brainiac film before Superman which I have wanted since Superman III really irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Brainiac can show up in a Supergirl movie before a Superman movie, so long as it's played in a certain way. If we accept that Supergirl was a teenager on Krypton right before Kal-El became an infant space refugee, they can plant the seeds of Brainiac's villainy in a SG movie, and have a full-force Brainiac in a later Superman movie. SG and S-man fans can win in a scenario such as this.

But if Brainiac starts and stops with SG, forget it.
    I really don't want Supergirl helping Superman against Brainiac... but I could live with this if done right. But if Brainiac becomes just a SG villain then I'm not supporting that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They could always take a page from the New 52 and have a mechanized Zor-El be Kara's villain, with hints of Brainiac as the unseen Big Bad. They don't even have to call him Cyborg Superman, just Zor-El. Show Brainiac in some flashbacks, and save him for the full confrontation in a MOS sequel where we can do a proper meeting between the two cousins and have them team up against Brainiac.

But this is WB. They are going to blow their load and do Brainiac all at once with no build up, and they probably don't even know Zor-El's name lol. And even if they did Zor-El will be fighting her in the 70s before Superman even shows up, which is another big problem.

Give it to Disney.

I'm not even joking.

At this point, I have more confidence Disney would do Superman more justice than WB. Pretty sure they'd make such an enjoyable mainstream film with lots of heart and action that audiences would like. As long as they have a good story and don't go campy, I think Disney could totally get Superman's nature.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    At this point, I have more confidence Disney would do Superman more justice than WB. Pretty sure they'd make such an enjoyable mainstream film with lots of heart and action that audiences would like. As long as they have a good story and don't go campy, I think Disney could totally get Superman's nature.
    No! The last thing Superman needs is to be a victim of SJW agendas, like Star Wars and Marvel.

What I would say for Disney though is that they wouldn't give up and half-ass the character. I mean, just that at this point would be lovely.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I really don't want Supergirl helping Superman against Brainiac... but I could live with this if done right. But if Brainiac becomes just a SG villain then I'm not supporting that at all.

Yes, please.

...Maybe Disney will buy DC after they buy Sony. lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    No! The last thing Superman needs is to be a victim of SJW agendas, like Star Wars and Marvel.
    I don't think either franchise is a victim of SJW agendas, at least not for simply having more women and POCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    What I would say for Disney though is that they wouldn't give up and half-ass the character. I mean, just that at this point would be lovely.
    Indeed, beggars cannot be chooser at this point.

I wouldn't be super thrilled with a cookie-cutter blockbuster like some of the MCU films, but at this point I just want a hit.

Well, put me in the camp that believes Disney screwed the pooch with Star Wars.

Disney is not the reason the MCU is doing well. Disney (I'm being generous here) is also not the reason why I just don't give a damn about Star Wars anymore. It's the people who actually work on this stuff. Kevin Feige deserves a lot of praise for the MCU's success. Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, and Rian Johnson deserve a lot of blame for why the last two Star Wars films didn't meet expectation.

EDIT: My point is, just selling Supes to Disney in itself means nothing, because you have no ideas who'll have his or her clutches on the property. A regime change at WB would be similar. It ain't the guys who signs the checks as much as it's the people with artistic control (unless the guys who sign the checks also have artistic control).
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 09-17-2018 at 04:33 PM.

I know there's a lot more intricacies to the situation, of course. Its really just spitballing because we're fed up is all.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Well, put me in the camp that believes Disney screwed the pooch with Star Wars.

Disney is not the reason the MCU is doing well. Disney (I'm being generous here) is also not the reason why I just don't give a damn about Star Wars anymore. It's the people who actually work on this stuff. Kevin Feige deserves a lot of praise for the MCU's success. Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, and Rian Johnson deserve a lot of blame for why the last two Star Wars films didn't meet expectation.

EDIT: My point is, just selling Supes to Disney in itself means nothing, because you have no ideas who'll have his or her clutches on the property. A regime change at WB would be similar. It ain't the guys who signs the checks as much as it's the people with artistic control (unless the guys who sign the checks also have artistic control).
    Well, DC was in trouble during the New 52 but then Rebirth was in full swing and it became more popular and critically acclaimed than Marvel. So, I guess a regime change in WB is what we need so that Superman can be fresh and relevant again.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I know there's a lot more intricacies to the situation, of course. Its really just spitballing because we're fed up is all.
    Same. Disney isn't ideal or without it's own potential drawbacks, but the devil we don't know for once seems more appealing.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Same. Disney isn't ideal or without it's own potential drawbacks, but the devil we don't know for once seems more appealing.
    I still think that if Warner and DC hit it big with Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman, maybe they will consider making a new Superman movie in the future.

I still think that if Warner and DC hit it big with Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman, maybe they will consider making a new Superman movie in the future.
    I don't know... I've been hearing since MoS/2013 about "maybe WB will x" to restore my faith in the company, and aside from Rebirth, they haven't done that much. So I have a hard time putting "maybe" and "WB" in the same sentence and having any trust in it.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The only thing that’ll do is encourage them to make WW3, Aquaman 2 & Shazam 2 even faster.

Best case scenario would be them using Shazam 2 or black Adam as some sort back door Superman reboot if they’re even interested in the character at all.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I don't think Warners is bothered with the character. Yeah, tjey love and market the hell out of that "S" shield and will plaster it on everything they can. They like the power set and even the basic tropes like The Daily Planet or Metropolis or even rogues like Luthor. However they really don't give a flying crap about Clark Kent/Kal-El. They had to pretty much be forced legally to make a Superman movie back in 2013 or risk losing that IP to the heirs during the lawsuit. That's the only reason we got MOS and probably why they ran so quickly away from a Superman Trilogy and back to Batman. A Supergirl movie gives them the chance to use the stuff they like ( the iconography and maybe the villains) and set aside the stuff they don't( Clark Kent, Lois Lane). Plus female Superheroes are the new cool thing.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Less than a decade of development hell is nothing extraordinary. Spider-Man and X-Men films were delayed for much longer at the height of popularity and unfortunately dating back before Marvel gave Fox any movie rights. The Siegel court ruling forced their production in 2011, but it’s safe to say that lack of interest or development weren’t factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhero Hype
    Warner Bros. Pictures President Alan Horn talked to the Los Angeles Times about the performance of Superman Returns and echoed director Bryan Singer’s comments from Comic-Con that they are hoping for a sequel in 2009:

Horn expects “Superman Returns” to eventually gross about $400 million worldwide, more than last year’s hit “Batman Begins.” Nonetheless, “Superman” fell at least $100 million short of his expectations.

“I thought it was a very successful movie, but I think it should have done $500 million worldwide,” Horn said. “We should have had perhaps a little more action to satisfy the young male crowd.”

Still, he’s betting Warner has firmly reestablished the “Superman” franchise and is planning another installment for summer 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Brew, Den of Geek
    So where exactly is the next Superman film? Nowhere in sight, appears to be the answer. For a while, it seemed that Bryan Singer would be re-attached, and while nobody has come out and said that he won't be doing another Superman movie, Warner Bros has clearly hardly been beating a path to his door to do it. The reason? The underwhelming word of mouth that the last film garnered. It actually did similar numbers to Batman Begins too at the US box office, and yet many were left wondering several things. Where's the action? Why are you being quite so reverential to the earlier films? What's this silly plot all about?

Personally, I quite liked it (and to be fair to Singer, when he stages an action sequence, such as the landing of the aircraft, it's something to behold), but Superman Returns nonetheless failed to ignite fresh passion in the franchise. But still, the initial thought was that enough money was in the bank to press ahead with another film.

And then Warner Bros wobbled. It had originally announced that the film would indeed be arriving in the midst of 2009's summer blockbuster season, and that Bryan Singer was pencilled in to return to the director's chair. The initial thought was that Brainiac and Bizarro were possible villains for the story, and that the action quotient would be ramped right up too. In fact, all of the key cast were also primed to return, too.

Thus, the story work began, and yet it seemed to be taking longer than originally planned. Then, Singer decided to go off and film the Tom Cruise-headliner Valkyrie, and the word was that filming would start in the middle of 2008. At the end of 2007, though, writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty left the project, and the writers' strike in America made it problematic to quickly bring in fresh faces. Warner Bros decided to delay the project to 2010, as a result.

But then talk surfaced that Warner Bros was looking, effectively, to reboot the reboot. Comics star Mark Millar commented that he'd approached Warner Bros with such a plan, after saying that an unnamed yet well-known director had asked him to help him come up with a pitch. Millar was looking to do a trilogy of pictures, but it's understood that by this stage in 2008, Warner Bros was listening to ideas from many writers, none of whom it appears has yet given the studio the magic bullet that it seeks.

It was in the summer of 2008 that it finally, publicly, voiced its thoughts on Superman Returns and its search for a follow-up. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," Warner Bros Pictures group president Jeff Rubinov told the Wall Street Journal. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned. Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009 ... But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."
    As far as switching to Disney goes, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that when there is finally a Star Wars I like and find interesting it puts off those who liked the old stuff. Wish it wasn’t either or. In fairness those films are much bigger priorities but I think those are the best examples of a fighting chance as they blow the doors off of superhero films in general IMO