Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    And then you would have had a bunch of people, , screeching how Snyder ruined Superman by making him too weak and that since Superman is a children's character they shouldn't show him getting hurt because it may tramatize them and screw Snyder because he is evil etc. Etc.

It's really a no win. Part of the reasons why i think WB wouldnt care to make another Superman movie for a long time. You do a riff on Donner's version, you'll have people complaining how old fashioned and silly it is. You do something that tries to move away from that version onr iota then you have people complaining it's not enough like the old movies.
    People like the animated movies though, Death of Superman reviewed pretty well. That had Supes very badly beaten up. Would there have been complaints? Sure but I think it was the sheer scale of the destruction, as well as having Supes kill that were the one-two punch. But whatever what’s done is done.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

"You can't be out as Superman if there's no Superman movie being planned."

"He was supposed to cameo in Shazam that is now dead, after that he has nothing scheduled/planned for Superman, and he isn’t just going to sit around and cameo in other people’s movies"

"Just like Cyborg technically Cavill is Superman until he is officially recast but if WB never makes another Superman movie or Cyborg movie it doesn’t matter, WB isn’t going to come out and say they are out."

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1040269842203516928

Quote Originally Posted by Thursaiz View Post
    The DCEU is a giant mess. Do 'Flashpoint' and reboot the whole thing with actors under the age of 30 who are relatively unknown. Make Flash take Aquaman, Cyborg, and Wonder Woman back in time so that they remain unaffected. Bring in Hal Jordan, and get the thing rolling again.

Just please...please...don't make Superman black. I know that sounds racist, but we aren't talking about the Human Torch or Heimdall here. We're talking about one of the three most iconic characters in comics. Don't change him. Don't change Batman. Stay true to the origins of the characters that drive your main franchise. Do it for the fans.
    From what I heard, Warner Bros. wants to reset the universe.

They could use the Val-Zod version of Superman to have a black Superman. Then there wouldn't be a problem. It would be sort of like how in the Catwoman movie she was Patience Philips instead of Selina Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    To be perfectly honest with you, I think making Superman and Zod as clearly near invulnerable as they were was a stroke of genius, intentionally or unintentionally. And I'm not saying that because I'm all about Superman being crazy powerful. I GREATLY enjoyed the Superman vs Lobo fight in American Alien specifically because of the relatively modest power showing, and I could've read about T-shirt and jeans Superman punching tanks forever.

But, in the express interest of doing something new and fresh with the idea of really strong guys hitting each other; I think adding in the wrinkle that they are indeed near invulnerable in a way that we haven't ever really seen in superhero movies, but they're still operating under humanoid instincts of self-preservationist and fight or flight because for both--in their own unique ways--each hit given and each hit received was uncharted and terrifying territory is a fascinating and ambitious idea. There's something fascinating about putting characters of that power in a legitimate state of thinking "is this gonna be the one that kills?" The late Darwyn Cooke played with this idea to great effect in his Superman: Confidential run. Key points being here http://images.tcj.com/2016/05/Cooke-afraid.jpg and here https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdfLJM9V4AEFbkj.jpg

That said, I don't think Snyder's version really captured it in a way that it could and maybe should have. Greater emphasis should've been placed on the mind-blowing prospect of two Supermen deciding to see if they can hurt the other, rather than opting for the Smallville fight in full or the fight with the tentacled world engine. We should've all be waiting there with baited breath at the prospect seeing two Kryptonians come to legit blow on a world made of paper. But instead when Zod is still around at the end for some reason a good portion of us were like "what? Still?" Given more time and build up we could've gotten in Clark's head regarding the prospect of actually punching a person as hard as he's physically able, or getting hit by someone who hits that hard. Finding a way to kill the other could've, and maybe should've, been almost a semi-puzzle in some ways.

But these sort of explorations maybe don't lend themselves to characters that have to function and realistically leave a job other characters. If this whole thing blows over and WB keeps to the idea that moving forward everything is going to be unconnected until it suits them, then I'd like to see these sort of unique explorations of power mixing with humanity that Superman basically invented. Sorry for the long winded reply. It's just something I've been mulling over.
    When Superman fought Supergirl neither one of them had a mark on them after the fight. Supergirl even had a nuclear explosion go off right in front of her and it didn't even smudge her lipstick. I think it is sort of given
    that Superman is pretty much invulnerable to cuts and bruises without kryptonite weakening him or being exposed to a red sun.
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 09-13-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    "You can't be out as Superman if there's no Superman movie being planned."

"He was supposed to cameo in Shazam that is now dead, after that he has nothing scheduled/planned for Superman, and he isn’t just going to sit around and cameo in other people’s movies"

"Just like Cyborg technically Cavill is Superman until he is officially recast but if WB never makes another Superman movie or Cyborg movie it doesn’t matter, WB isn’t going to come out and say they are out."

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1040269842203516928
    So he’s out, they just don’t have the stones to come out and say it. Wonderful. Can’t wait for 10 years of waiting to see Zod or Lex again.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    From what I heard, Warner Bros. wants to reset the universe.

They could use the Val-Zod version of Superman to have a black Superman. Then there wouldn't be a problem. It would be sort of like how in the Catwoman movie she was Patience Philips instead of Selina Kyle.

When Superman fought Supergirl neither one of them had a mark on them after the fight. Supergirl even had a nuclear explosion go off right in front of her and it didn't even smudge her lipstick. I think it is sort of given
    that Superman is pretty much invulnerable to cuts and bruises without kryptonite weakening him or being exposed to a red sun.
    Nah.
    http://hqrock.files.wordpress.com/20...rows.jpg?w=604
    https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...91/223/df5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Cavill was plain awful. And much of the criticism of the films falls on his head.
    In all fairness, they didn't give Cavill much to do, except brood. Hell, they barely even gave him any dialogue most of the time. He had the perfect look for Superman and I think he definitely could have been great in the role, if the movies had better writing and directing. They had the perfect guy to play Superman, but they didn't even use him right. What a waste.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 09-13-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    While that is awesome for Wonder Woman, Superman doing less damage to Doomsday than somebody else when Death of Superman is HIS storyline is not really a good thing, is it? On top of what was originally going to be a solo film being hijacked by guest stars and having a lot of scenes cut. I also wouldn't call him a total team player, the end battle wasn't that long and was too chaotic to be coordinated. He wasn't a team player so much as a character who had guest stars in his movie.

Whedon went overboard, but audiences responded positively to his attitude compared to how he was in BvS. And Superman should tip the balance in the team's favor, just not as overwhelmingly so as JL ended up doing. The objective fact is that movie going audiences have not embraced this Superman the way they have the MCU heroes or Gadot's Wonder Woman, and that is a problem. JL made things worse because it was an overall bad movie, but we were in rough shape well before the movie came out. BvS did most of the damage but even MoS was divisive. That's not good for these expensive ass movie that need to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

The DCEU's depiction of Superman is why we are in the situation we are in now. We are long past the point where you can spin anything positive out of this. If we were in good shape, Cavill's contract would have been adjusted a long time ago and we would have had not only more solo movies in the pipe, but more JL movies and Supergirl movies. RDJ is Iron-Man in like 10 movies, including a trilogy of his own, while Superman gets his trilogy hijacked and then might get shelved for the foreseeable future and get replaced by Supergirl, and the characters won't even get to interact. That shit wouldn't happen in the MCU

He barely got to be a character in the theatrical cut of BvS, which is the one the vast majority of people saw and made the impact. How is he supposed to be a character in JL when he is only in like 10 minutes and was left out of the marketing?

Cavill's acting for Superman's personality is what people want to see and something they should have aimed for either from the beginning or in a proper MOS sequel before rushing into the shared universe. It's too little too late now.
    All of this is so sad, but so true.

I always thought they did MOS, started working on a sequel and then it got hijacked as it were. Turns out they had their dumb forced JL idea in queue well before then. Per Snyder himself, it was always the plan to use MOS to springboard quickly and recklessly into JL to make a foolhardy attempt to catch up to Marvel despite their unsurmountable head start. The details obviously weren't quite worked out, but he was never going to get an honest-to-goodness sequel so they were (apparently unknowingly to only WB) sabotaging things from the start.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I mean, sure, but that wasn't really the point of my post. It's more so about the specific origin and situation that Goyer, Snyder, and Nolan crafted in Man of Steel lending itself greatly to what had the potential of being an all new way of exploring stakes for a character put in a position of near invulnerability. Nothing in TV or movie Superman media has ever really explored the idea in a set-up comparable to it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-13-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't see why a good filmmaker can't just make a good series of Superman flicks. Recast if you have to, I don't think anyone is hung up on the continuity of the Justice League film...especially since we're already ignoring it with WW and AQUAMAN.

Extraordinary Member

Happy for Cavill.

DC/Warner's had 3 chances to make Supes something other than a humorless stiff and they only partially succeeded in the JL movie.

At least Netflix project are usually better thought out.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Master Hero Vladimir

I can only hope that Henry's dismissal is just a rumor and that he can play Superman in the future, but even if he stayed, there is still the bigger problem of WB not doing any Superman movies in the future, which is likely related to the restructuring WarnerMedia is undergoing at the moment. Whatever changes WarnerMedia is experiencing, I can only hope they are for the best, at least when it comes to the DCEU. If Henry stays, good; he has another chance. If he leaves; then I hope he finds success in other projects. If Henry is let go because Warner has no idea of what to do with Superman, then that has to be the biggest insult done to the character since Superman: Truth. As for recasting Superman, I hope the actor both looks the part and properly conveys Superman's personality. One thing I cannot stress enough is that I don't want Superman to be portrayed by a person of color. I mean; Clark Kent? Kal-El? Those have to be some of the whitest names in comic book history, apart from Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker. I would only accept a black Superman if it was Val-Zod from Earth-2 or Calvin Ellis from Earth 23, and even then, it would be a huge longshot to take such a distance from the source material. Needless to say, Warner has an uphill battle to make Superman a relevant cinematic property again. All of this makes me doubt of Warner's ability to move their film series forward. I genuinely hope Warner can make a genuinely enjoyable Superman movie once again; I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Agreed. I'm with Vordan and you that I don't think Cavill is "A-list", but at the same time its the job of the agent to work for more dough, and she's probably operating on the idea that MI upped his status, and on that I'd agree it did to some degree, even if not making him suddenly Brad Pitt. As for creative, I'd trust him and his ability to pick someone to helm it a hell of a lot more than I'd trust WB at this point.
    I also trust Henry Cavill doing justice to the character WAY more than WB at this point. Henry should just play himself. He comes off really charming and intelligent in interviews, IMO. And he has a great sense of humor. He also reads the Superman comics so he knows way more than WB what Superman is supposed to be.

I hope he and his agent win this battle for Superman because WB have proven they don't get the character. Seriously, I'm sure I could make a great Superman movie that many would enjoy. He isn't that hard to write. Snyder failed to understand that Superman needs more joy and optimism. He gets how epic he is and I love the way he depicts his powers, but he doesn't get that Superman can't be overtaken by darkness. Make his world a bit dark or pretty dark, but you don't make Superman himself dark and so angsty.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

With rebranding themselves as "The Worlds of DC", it seems that Warners is finally leaning into DC's strengths as a Multiverse. The Joker movie is step one. A Michael B. Jordan Superman movie about Calvin Ellis would be step two. This way, they get to keep what works, like Gal Gadot, while also getting to dump anything else, like Ben Affleck because of his rehab problems, and, unfortunately, Henry Cavill if his agents won't budge on his contract negotiations.

This also frees up future directors and screenwriters to do whatever they want with DC properties, rather than being bound to whatever creative decisions Snyder and others made prior to them. DC isn't Marvel with its tight continuity overseen by one guy with a vision like Kevin Feige. Whether we like it or not, DC is just another intellectual property farm for Warner Bros. and I would rather they start treating it that way so they can get back to making good movies instead of trying to recreate the miracle that Feige accomplished.

Give me Wonder Woman 1984! Give me Aquaman! Give me Shazam! Give me The Joker! Give me Blackhawks! Give me Birds of Prey! Give me Supergirl! Give me President Superman!

I don't care as long as they are made by good creators who are passionate about these characters and have a good story to tell with them!