Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ok, wait.... now his rep says "Be peaceful, the cape is still in his closet." and they'll release a statement today.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Just focus on solo movies. There is no need for a shared universe. DC have no idea what to do with Wonder Woman in the shared universe or a team as seen in Justice League and in comics. They also have been nerfing her powers and villains.
    Now with Shared Universe gone, future Wonder Woman can go crazy without worrying about canon or Wondy being more powerful than Superman or faster than flash.

No, she can't, but its not because of an inability of the popularity of that side of the mythos, its just because WB is in charge and has no idea what they're doing with anything else. Gal can hold up WW, her franchise. And that's really the best thing for it at this point, to completely remove itself from the failure of the overall EU.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Ok, wait.... now his rep says "Be peaceful, the cape is still in his closet." and they'll release a statement today.
    Probably just damage control. WB itself has released an official statement, and its far more damning. It doesn't confirm anything but it doesn't come anywhere close to being an actual rebuttal. Cavill's out.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

Wasn't the cape always done in post-production with CGI? If he has a cape in his closet, it could just be green screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Probably just damage control. WB itself has released an official statement, and its far more damning. It doesn't confirm anything but it doesn't come anywhere close to being an actual rebuttal. Cavill's out.
    Hmmmm
    https://youtu.be/WkoOxkE1bz8
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't understand how Wonder Woman fans can trust the same tabloids that said they had inside sources that the Wonder Woman film was trash. It just boggles the mind.
    So Hollywood Reporter & Variety are tabloids? And last I checked they never reported Wonder Woman was a mess at all. What you’re referring to is an anonymous letter written by a low-level Warner’s employee who likely never even saw the film. This story is being reported on by major trades, lol. It’s not being reported on by Moviepilot.com or something.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

If WB had sense, they'll write Patty Jenkins a blank check and let her do the driving.

Astonishing Member

I think Wonder Woman becomes DC’s flagship franchise on film from now on. But Gal won’t be holding them up DC alone if Aquaman and Shazam! work then Momoa and Levi can hold the DC movies up with Gadot. Though personally, I have more faith in Shazam! being good than Aquaman.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    If WB had sense, they'll write Patty Jenkins a blank check and let her do the driving.
    She seems to be the only one who knows what she's doing.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member

I see no reason why DC / WB wouldn't keep Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. She's a proven star and money maker. And, at least for now, she's relatively "cheap" (although that will obviously change IF she keeps starring in blockbusters, whether as Diana or other characters).

As for Batman and Superman. Since the Flash's movie is still a work in progress, I *personally* would be happy if they adapted Flashpoint (with Gal Gadot making a cameo appearance as an alternate, but not evil, child-killing version of Wonder Woman) and used that to hand-wave recasting Batman and Superman with new actors. It's not perfect, but at least it makes a degree of narrative sense.

Or, perhaps they'll simply abandon any major team-up movies (i.e. any Justice League sequels) and instead focus on solo movies and "minor" team-ups which make sense? For example, a future Wonder Woman and Aquaman team-up where the Atlanteans and Amazons join forces to battle Queen Clea or some other villain. Or a Wonder Woman and BatWOMAN team-up where Diana helps Kate Kane fight some mystical / mythological threat in Gotham City. Or a World's Finest team-up of Supergirl and Batgirl.

Of course, IF Wonder Woman 1984 isn't a success (no pressure Patty Jenkins), then I could see them closing the door on this iteration of the DCU and starting over again. Early reviews for Aquaman seem to be mixed. And although I'm hopeful that Shazam will be good, it's uncertain whether the film will be a success, especially as Shazam isn't as widely known / recognised as the Trinity.

I would certainly hope that they close-out Diana's trilogy, even if WW84 doesn't do wonderfully. Patty Jenkins could probably work with a reduced budget to do a smaller, more intimate and character-driven Wonder Woman storyline. Even if it sadly has to utilise the trope of Diana losing her powers to explain the lack of wondrous special effects (e.g. Diana has dishonoured the returned Greek gods in some way, so must undertake some mission / challenge to prove that she is worthy of being Wonder Woman).

Retired

If we do see Flashpoint in a future FLASH movie, it will probably be no better than the Flashpoint in THE FLASH TV show--which was terrible--and it will be wrapped up by the end credits. But I'd prefer Flashpoint to commence in the FLASH movie--maybe half way through--and not be resolved. The shift in continuity would then persist for the next several DC movies--with some characters being more affected than others. Then, depending how well these movies perform, some of the changes would stick and others would go away. And the whole thing would get wrapped up in another Flash picture down the road.

You're overthinking things here. In terms of marketing, even a mid-budget movie breaks every comics event, and people care a lot less about continuity. Forget about Flashpoint; its entire point is about continuity, and no-one cares about the old DCEU movies anymore (with the exception of Wonder Woman).

Focus on solo movies for now, and maybe bring in Diana for some cameos in order to establish that they're in the same world. If Aquaman does well, plan for a sequel. If Shazam does well, plan for a sequel. The movie where it makes the most sense for Diana to take a larger role would be Supergirl, with her mentoring Kara, but it runs right into Gal Gadot's limitations as an actor, but on the other hand she might improve her dramatic voice acting skills.
    Last edited by kjn; 09-13-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I usually defer to Grace Randolph's insider knowledge about situations like this, and I agree that this isn't exactly over yet. If the WB and Cavill (and his "manager") can get over this game of chicken, they might still work something out. Personally, I think he made a great Superman/Clark Kent & given the right material he could really shine in this role. A good director with a hopeful vision could also make a difference.

If not, then I don't see any reason why Wonder Woman couldn't carry on as this franchises centerpiece as they scrap what came before and enter their "Phase 2".

Retired

With the Carol Danvers CAPTAIN MARVEL movie set in the 1990s, I could see a Kara Zor-El (Danvers) SUPERGIRL movie set in the 1990s, as well. She arrives on Earth as a teen, and Wonder Woman trains her to be a super-hero. That way you avoid the need for Superman to be in the movie. Not that I want that to happen, but it could be a way to do the Maid of Steel without Cavill in the picture. Maybe at the end of the movie she finds baby Kal-El, who has arrived on Earth after her.